Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, CHJ, Noel, Charley

By Walney Col
monkeybiter wrote:I don't like the look of the clamping system on that plastic 'Merry'.

I have both models and of the two I trust the clamping presure of the plastic base a lot more than I the metal one which seems to have a very light clamping presure and no obvious way of adjusting it. I do prefer the metal model in every other respect though and use it a lot.

Col.
By Geordie Joe
Walney Col wrote:
monkeybiter wrote:I don't like the look of the clamping system on that plastic 'Merry'.

I have both models and of the two I trust the clamping presure of the plastic base a lot more than I the metal one which seems to have a very light clamping presure and no obvious way of adjusting it. I do prefer the metal model in every other respect though and use it a lot.

Col.

If you open it (lift the clamp) there is a nut attached to the cog/knob bolt. The clamp pushes against that nut when you close it, thus pulling everything together. I think if you tighten that nut a touch it should clamp tighter. Mine it tight enough as it is, but there is about 2 or 3mm of play between the nut and the side of the clamp.
By Walney Col
Geordie Joe wrote:If you open it (lift the clamp) there is a nut attached to the cog/knob bolt.

I noticed that as well and thourght it might be adjustment but on mine at least the nut's tightened all the way down anyway. :-/
By otter
Walney Col wrote:
Geordie Joe wrote:If you open it (lift the clamp) there is a nut attached to the cog/knob bolt.

I noticed that as well and thourght it might be adjustment but on mine at least the nut's tightened all the way down anyway. :-/

You could remove the nut, add a couple of little washers and then re-attach the nut. That might give you a little more squeeze on the bolt.
By Geordie Joe
Walney Col wrote:

Col.

Are the bases interchangeable? I quite like the thought of a plastic base, just because I think it would give a better view of things.

What are the main differences between the machines?
By Wizard9999
Geordie Joe wrote:Are the bases interchangeable? I quite like the thought of a plastic base, just because I think it would give a better view of things.

You can buy a Makita clear base protector for £4 and it is held on with four screws the same as the Katsu (RT0700c) style base. But whether the hole positioning is exactly the same can probably only be known for sure if some body has both...

...so Walney Col, what is the answer....

Terry.
By Walney Col
Geordie Joe wrote:Are the bases interchangeable? I quite like the thought of a plastic base, just because I think it would give a better view of things.

My plastic one is fixed speep whereas my metal one is variable from 11,000 to (I think) 30,000.
The plastic base letting a lot more light into where the action's going on is a big plus point imo.
I've never tried swapping the bases over but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Col.
By Geordie Joe
Walney Col wrote:

My plastic one is fixed speep whereas my metal one is variable from 11,000 to (I think) 30,000.
The plastic base letting a lot more light into where the action's going on is a big plus point imo.
I've never tried swapping the bases over but I'll try it tomorrow and report back.

Col.

Thanks, I prefer my variable speed one, but I fancy a transparent base. I intend to buy a plunge base and if the transparent base fits the katsu I'll get one at the same time.
By Geordie Joe
Wizard9999 wrote:I had always assumed the plastic bodied / clear base model was a copy of a different Makita...

Terry.

Yep, after looking around ebay and amazon they are described as being compatible with different Matikas. However, that doesn't mean both Matikas are not the same size and the bases are not interchangeable.
By phil p
Just took the plunge aswell (no pun intended)

Thought for 30 quid delivered it's worth a go as I don't think I can justify the price of a more expensive one as I just dabble here and there so I don't think it well get used that often, could be useful tool though.

Regards
Phil
By otter
phil p wrote:Just took the plunge aswell (no pun intended)

Thought for 30 quid delivered it's worth a go as I don't think I can justify the price of a more expensive one as I just dabble here and there so I don't think it well get used that often, could be useful tool though.

Regards
Phil

£30 delivered? Where from?
By skipdiver
otter wrote:

Regards
Phil

http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101748-katsu- ... -700w.html

Edit: The shipping is £3 + Vat, so slightly over £30.
By otter
skipdiver wrote:
otter wrote:

Regards
Phil

http://www.aimtools.co.uk/101748-katsu- ... -700w.html

Edit: The shipping is £3 + Vat, so slightly over £30.

Ta.