Cheap Workbench

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrikkinDust

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a while and gained such a lot from this site, so thought I'd contribute something back.

I recently wanted to build a cheap but decent 2x4 workbench and having googled a lot, I didn't find anything that fit the bill, so I decided to design my own. Thought I'd post it on here as I wish I'd have come across this post when I was searching. Maybe it'll help someone out. It isn't anything special, but was quick and does the job for now.

I made it to fit what I needed - 152cm x 65cm x 95cm (I'm 6'3'') Later I plan on putting in some drawers or some other storage.

All the wood (apart from the top) is cheapo 2x4 (or 38mm x 89mm actually). The entire workbench took 6 2x4s, plus whatever sheet material you decide for the top. Cut list and sketchup plan below. * note though - the extra apron at the front I didn't include.

2.png

3.png

cutlist.png

Frame.....
IMG_0571.JPG

Bit of extra support
IMG_0575.JPG

Top. I used flooring chipboard, laminated to plywood. Then 15mm MDF just screw on top, through into the frame.
IMG_0578.JPG

Trimmed the edges..
IMG_0579.JPG

And fitted my vice. Job done.
IMG_0581.JPG

Attachments

• 2.png
    2.png
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,834
  • 3.png
    3.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 1,834
  • IMG_0571.JPG
    IMG_0571.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,834
  • IMG_0575.JPG
    IMG_0575.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 1,834
  • IMG_0578.JPG
    IMG_0578.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 1,834
  • IMG_0579.JPG
    IMG_0579.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 1,834
  • IMG_0581.JPG
    IMG_0581.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 1,834
  • cutlist.png
    cutlist.png
    25.3 KB · Views: 1,823
Smart looking bench there :cool: I reckon some drawers would also help keep things solid. Dont be to upset when you put your first ding in it :twisted: :lol:

Cheers

Hi

Looks smart. I like your idea of letting the rails in to the legs. I made my bench legs out of two pieces too, and wish I'd thought of doing the rails like that.

Nice one .....Looks great to me :D

I am planning my own workbench build next month and it should look pretty similar. The main difference is that I fancy a thick beech-block top with a few dog holes for extra holding options.

What type of joints did you use for the trestles / rails ?

Also got to say that looking at the background in your pictures it looks like your workshop has good potential for development there

Cheers
Chris

Boxer":1rtc03x9 said:
What type of joints did you use for the trestles / rails ?

Cheers
Chris

The front ones are supported by the doubled-up legs (making up a half lap I guess), and the sides were pocket holes and glue (didn't think these needed to be ultra strong as the main support is on the apron / legs)

Boxer":1rtc03x9 said:
Also got to say that looking at the background in your pictures it looks like your workshop has good potential for development there

It's coming along nicely :wink:

Back