Chainsaw platform.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
While i have doing some flat work recently,i thought i would use up some of the 18mm scrap ply i have lying around and finally make meself a safer chainsaw platform,as i will be cutting up some logs soon.

chainsawhorse-1.jpg

Got the idea from Here and have been meaning to make one for ages.
I have made mine slightly higher at 19" and glued and nailed some Oak on the top and bottom edges to give some extra protection against the ply,and i have used some 3x3" pine as the spacers,turned diagonaly to protect the chain from the steel thread bar,in case i go to mad :shock: .
Haven't tried it out yet but will be soon,so will let you know how i get on with it :D

That's a coincidence Paul, this is on my to do list. Looks like a useful bit of kit!

Nice job! I made one of these a few months ago. It's absolutely brilliant, especially because it can be turned upside down for flat faced wood or upright (as picture) for logs. One point though is not to spend too much time making it look pretty as mine now has loads of gashes out of it where the chainsaw has touched it. :roll: You also need to use shake-proof washers as, if not, sooner or later it will shake itself apart. :shock:

Same concept but a bit more rustic :shock: , I use a couple of logs halved or split along the grain and lying side by side as the platform, lay the log you're cutting on top and off you go, quick and easy :D

Cheers, Paul :D

Hi Paul,

You'll be pleased you made it. I made one a few years back inspired from the same source. It looks a little more used than yours (at the moment) it's still going strong though. It makes life a lot easier.

David

Good to hear others have tried this platform out and have found it to be good.and safe :D
I like it also as it can be taken with you on site so to speak if there are some logs to be cut up that might be too big to move on your own.
It is a vast improvement on my quickly knocked up block i had,which was along similar lines as this,but i think i will be happier with this one for what i want to do.
Been thinking about the flat surface side though.
Does this hold a flat sided slab ok or does it move when cutting,the slab that is :D :?:

Paul.J":ekx6ixgg said:
.........Does this hold a flat sided slab ok or does it move when cutting,the slab that is :D :?:

What about a notch in the base.
notch.JPG

Good idea Chas,but i think i would prefer something that will hold the slab more secure if i was going to use it this way.
I will mainly be using the platform for cutting the bigger logs up to length so will have to think of something if i do use the flat side.

Could you drill some holes an appropriate size and put the tips of nails in them. It'd mark the wood but should give a grip. Bit like a carving platter

Pete

I use a stand very similar and to be on the safe side I use a strap like THESE to hold the logs or slabs secure but only put them on one side of the cut.

I got my straps from either a market or cheap shop.

john

Paul.J":ll46656z said:
Does this hold a flat sided slab ok or does it move when cutting,the slab that is :D :?:

I don't use the flat side as much, however, I don't recall any great "wriggling" problems when using it though. The flat side of the log sits stable... and if the chain is sharp and the spiked bumper is contacting the side of the log they don't tend to move.

David

paulm":3gikh4rb said:
Nobody like the idea of my rustic version then :cry: :lol:

I think you were Barking up the wrong tree Paul. :lol:

paulm":2qtyzrwz said:
Nobody like the idea of my rustic version then :cry: :lol:

Whilst functional, you'd never go back once you'd made one of these. :D They are far superior and the gaps mean your not trying to dodge the stand with the bar.

David

DavidE":2ssfkof5 said:
Paul.J":2ssfkof5 said:

I don't use the flat side as much, however, I don't recall any great "wriggling" problems when using it though. The flat side of the log sits stable... and if the chain is sharp and the spiked bumper is contacting the side of the log they don't tend to move.

David

My experience is the same as David's. Just keep the spiked bumber in contact with the wood and all should be fine. At the start, I did try using a strap to hold wood on the flat side but it didn't really make much difference (still needed to keep the bumper tight against the wood) and was a pain to attach and release.

Thanks for the tips folks.Still haven't got round to cutting up yet :roll:

Paulm wrote
Nobody like the idea of my rustic version then
I do Paul,very good idea,one i have also used in the past,but seeing as how most my chainsawing takes place in the shop i think this new platform will serve me better,and can be just stored away in the corner. :D

Thought i would keep this idea with this post so it's all together.
Don't know if this as been thought of before but i finally got round to doing some cutting up :roll: but got fed up of putting the chainsaw down on the floor and picking it back up,so made this holder for the chainsaw to slot into in between cutting :D
Just gotta make one for the other side when the bench is up the other way :D

chainsawholder.jpg

Back