Car boot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, Chaps

My turn to get something!
DSC_0003.jpg

The taps 10mm, 4mm and 3.5mm the pad saw and the SDS drill bit £3 the Chisel 50p and the bevel protractor £5, the rule I bought a year or so ago for probably a £1.

Spotted a quick release Woden woodworking Vice but I didn't have enough left to buy it (My wife bought lots of books) and a nice working post drill (£40)

Pete

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 2,258
Pete

Dont you know the boot sale rules

Wives carry the bags , the men hunt out the goodies

Or in my case I do both :mrgreen:

Result with your haul , those taps are probably £5 each at least

Nice baggings Pete :)

An unexpected haul for me this week, I wasn't expecting to come home with anything...

I ended up with a 12" Taylor Brothers saw (50p), a Stanley 130A Yankee (£2), and an (unidentified) oilstone and slipstone (£1)...

DSC_7431.jpg

DSC_7434.jpg

And finally one of the biggest clamps I've ever seen for four pounds. Here it is with the clamp I made as an apprentice and a #4 for scale:

DSC_7429.jpg

DSC_7430.jpg

The clamp has a few woodworm holes so it's quarantined at the mo. Any advice on how to deal with that?

The clamp has a few woodworm holes so it's quarantined at the mo. Any advice on how to deal with that?

Normally if you see holes it means the worms are out

But you could put the clamp bits in a plastic bag and then in the freezer for a couple of days

:wink:

Hi Guys

Bit of a slow one this weekend...Annie wanted me to "work on the stall" as she said we did better when I did...(rubbish of course!)...she made £150 on more tat and I went off with a huge wad of cash...but alas...there wasn't much around..

I find this is always the way...when you are flush. When you are broke or have spent everything you find major bargains....like the darn jewellers lathe for £40 which I am still spitting bullets about...

Anyways...yesterday's "haul", meagre though it be....

DSC_0502.JPG

I know I need another countershaft...I've forgotten quite why I need another countershaft...but I do....mmmm

DSC_0503.JPG

Lefthand side is as it came...and righthand side is tarted up...

Then lots of good reading...the Nancy Smith one on old furniture is particularly good...as is the finishing one by Frederick Oughton. Another from the brilliant Mr Cain...this one No.9 in the series and it was the brazing bit that interested me the most. Having watched the impressionist programme on TV the other night and watching how Degas captured figure...I thought a book on the anatomy wouldn't go amiss if I get time to paint again...and lastly one for Annie...how to repair lawnmowers. I told her to read it backwards to prevent her breaking them every year...that didn't go down too well!!! :oops:

DSC_0504.JPG

The best bit of the day was a huge collection of very fine plough (plow?) irons....

DSC_0505.JPG

...in a rather tatty but original baise roll.

The collection is literally a rollcall of all of the wonderful Sheffield makers...as the guy replaced or added to the collection...

Ibbotson....

DSC_0506.JPG

...a gorgeous old Ward.....

DSC_0507.JPG

...a lot of A.Hildicks.....so I think these were the original set...

DSC_0509.JPG

...and finally a mystery one...(don'tcha just love those Sherlock!??).....

DSC_0508.JPG

Anyone know what that maker is? ALF? ALF!!!? HELP!! :mrgreen:

All I need now is a beautiful beech and brass plough (plow?) plane and I'm well away!

There's always something!!!

Cheers

Jim

Hi, Jim

Yet again you have surpassed me, Can't help but be a bit annoyed :wink:

Mind you I do have a nice wedge arm plow plane :wink: :D

Pete

Racers":1it67yib said:
Hi, Jim

Yet again you have surpassed me, Can't help but be a bit annoyed :wink:

Mind you I do have a nice wedge arm plow plane :wink: :D

Pete

Oh dear....sorry Pete...didn't think the haul was that spectacular this weekend..I had to work for the Saturday one and like I said...Annie had me selling for most of the early part of the morning. The irons were there last week as well but I thought the guy would probaby want a fortune for them so I passed them by...

This week I happen to have a need for a nice plow plane....and so checked the price of a set of irons...his hand now has bite marks on it...a quid!! Not each...for the whole lot!

I don't suppose that makes you feel any better does it? :oops:

You up for perhaps parting with the plow plane my friend? :wink:

Jim

you guys are mean, no bootfair for me this weekend, whenever i dont go i always sit and think what bargains i may have missed out on.

but i did pick up some monster pieces of box. and some very tasty pieces of english walnut. pics to come

adidat

Racers":wkb617tm said:
Hi, Jim

Very good price for the irons, you know how to rub it in :wink:

Sorry the plow plane is a keeper, try Ebay they don't seem to go for much money, as you have all the irons you should be able to pick up a cheap one.

20 miniuts to go http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antique-Joine ... 4aad37edbd

Pete

Hi Pete...

I have to admit scouring FleaBay for plow planes on Sunday evening and bookmarking a few...

I rejected that one because of the missing bits....I have one I fancy...but want to wait for one that is really bling...some of them are pieces of art!

One thing that concerns me though is that apparently the plane is made to fit the irons...the taper and the groove for the skate being critical along with the clearance for the adjustment. The skate is the bed so these need to mate.

I wonder if I should make one?

mmmmm............... :wink:

Never fear adidat...there is always one next week!

Jim

Blister":1pe5xn5x said:
Normally if you see holes it means the worms are out

But you could put the clamp bits in a plastic bag and then in the freezer for a couple of days

:wink:

Thanks for the tip, I'll give that a go.

jimi43":1pe5xn5x said:
This week I happen to have a need for a nice plow plane....and so checked the price of a set of irons...his hand now has bite marks on it...a quid!! Not each...for the whole lot!

:shock:

jimi43":38zm0dpk said:
I have to admit scouring FleaBay for plow planes on Sunday evening and bookmarking a few...

I rejected that one because of the missing bits....I have one I fancy...but want to wait for one that is really bling...some of them are pieces of art!

Jim

This worthwhile activity is made even more enjoyable by the sellers who label their moving fillister
planes as plough planes and only like wedges if they are in backwards!

Hi, Jim

I have a mis-matched set of irons for my plane and they all fit o/k.

Pete

Racers":13tr3cw2 said:
Hi, Jim

I have a mis-matched set of irons for my plane and they all fit o/k.

Pete

Ah...thanks for that clarification Pete. I have checked and the taper is about the same for all of them so that's one variable that is the same (UH!!!)...

One thing I was glad I checked before I sharpened them was that they have a slight curve near the edge on the "flat" side. I understand that curve also varies from maker to maker and that it is necessary to impart a spring to the iron so that the wedge fits tight and stays in place. I am so glad I didn't flatten it! I thought it was a bit strange!

Jim

Jimi's mystery plane iron maker has been bothering me - I'm sure it's a Sheffield mark that I have seen before:

DSC_0508.JPG

But it's not on anything I own.

Nor is it in Goodman's British Planemakers (at least, not in the 2nd edition).

It's not in the really useful guide to Sheffield marks that Alf found from (of course!) the Canadian Parks Service - http://www.sha.org/research_resources/documents/Trademarks on Base-Metal Tableware.pdf

It's not on the Backsaw site's handy page of maker's marks: http://www.backsaw.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54&Itemid=92.

...but it might just be in here:

550+$282$29.jpg

"528 pages, 935 illustrations and 575 marks in colour, with an appendix of 269 plane-iron marks."

Now I know from their happy posts when they bought it that Harbo and Toolsntat both have copies. Any chance of either of you guys taking a peek inside and seeing if you can find that funny decorated column/ obelisk/ very tall wedding cake? Or anyone else who has bought what seems like a very desirable book?

There's quite alot of unusable tools at the car boot but now and again there's something usable like this wooden skew rebate plane
P1010038.jpg

P1010040.jpg

I wonder how old it is cos it looks quite new

LuptonM":3dkqb9sw said:
There's quite alot of unusable tools at the car boot but now and again there's something usable like this wooden skew rebate plane

I wonder how old it is cos it looks quite new

Very hard to date. I'd say it was some time in the 19th or 20th century!

It could be old and over-cleaned, or it could be quite recent. Simple rebate planes were still made up to about the 1960s I believe.
A maker's name would help: is there anything other than that odd ED logo? (Or maybe that's another trademark I don't recognise!)

It could even be user-made: there is a transverse hole at the top of the blade which I've not seen on a factory made plane; the exit hole for the shavings is a bit small, and the wedge is a touch crude. Still useful though!

The only other thing is that it has 1 1/8 stamped on the back (blade width). I think the ED must be either the initials of the company/maker. Whoever made it obviously made more than one since he would have had to have custom stamps made

Back