Car boot

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey up Jimi , that trade mark (device) as soon as I saw it I had a guess but wanted to be sure.
Forgot all about the Russell tome Andy :roll:
So back to the mark.......
Spoke to a really nice man at David Stanley's Auction today and he confirmed my thoughts with a company history.....
His Great Grandfather had offices round the corner from here when he set up the business :wink:
Here's a clue
http://www.themonument.info/history/introduction.asp

Andy

toolsntat":2pp2o6wi said:
Hey up Jimi , that trade mark (device) as soon as I saw it I had a guess but wanted to be sure.
Forgot all about the Russell tome Andy :roll:
So back to the mark.......
Spoke to a really nice man at David Stanley's Auction today and he confirmed my thoughts with a company history.....
His Great Grandfather had offices round the corner from here when he set up the business :wink:
Here's a clue
http://www.themonument.info/history/introduction.asp

Andy

You tease!

It's presumably not Monument Tools:

Cat1963_Monument.jpg

so it must be one of the London cluster of plane makers, which was perhaps unusual in putting their own mark on blades that they had bought in from Sheffield - or are you saying that it was a London steelworks?
The frustrating thing is that I know I've seen this mark discussed before, and remember (now you give us a clue) that the 'wedding cake' frills are a very stylised version of the Monument's swags of carving on the base. But who was it?

Please tell!

Hi Guys, looking at that makers mark Monument?.......hmm some very dodgy drawing skills.
Surely it depicts an unlit torch doesn't it?

Mmmmm , well it may transpire that I have dropped a wobbly one as it was Monuments Managing Director, John Collier who I was talking to
and when I mentioned the "monument" as a trade mark we did not compare actual pictures...... :shock: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I wish I had found the history bit on the company website before #-o

Will have a look for the boxful of boxwood plumbers tools I have as this is where I thought I had seen the mark :roll:

Suppose the clincher would have been to ask if they had ever made plane irons :-"

Andy

Doh!

That's going to bug me even more now.
I've searched on here using as many suitable terms as I can manage, and run through all of Alf's blog, which was the next most likely place I thought I'd seen it.

This week the Global Gathering had departed and we got one bootsale in before next week's Bulldog Bash. :roll:

Anyway here's what I picked up this morning.

DSC00047-2.jpg

I know, I know ... I already have two plough planes. But one has a cracked fence and the other a plastic handle. So at last I have a wooden handled, full iron setted stanley. Hooray!

The bolt cutters will be essential for the hedge/fence we are taking down today between showers. I never have enough new hacksaw blades and I'm working on tarting the marking gauge up with brass sheet already.

If it's any comfort it's bugging the hell out of me too, Andy - I'm sure I've seen it somewhere too, but that hardly narrows it down!

And Richard, a plough plane for at least every iron you think you might use is a good rule of thumb - you've got loads to get yet. ;)

Alf":3ltutq5y said:
If it's any comfort it's bugging the hell out of me too, Andy - I'm sure I've seen it somewhere too, but that hardly narrows it down!

And Richard, a plough plane for at least every iron you think you might use is a good rule of thumb - you've got loads to get yet. ;)

I'm glad it's not just me - and I suppose we must conclude that you weren't the one who posted a picture of this mark - but who was it?

I agree about the plough planes - there are subtle differences that mean you need to have a choice. :lol:

Just been through the box and out of about 25 tools these are the only 3 marked :roll: and a pic of the mark in an old catalogue....
How's the saying go? "Close, but no cigar" :wink: :lol:

Andy

aug811hd027.jpg

aug811hd026.jpg

aug811hd024.jpg

aug811hd023.jpg

Oh dear....I'm feeling terribly guilty....I didn't intend to present a major mystery without at least trying to work it out myself...but it seems things have taken on a wider search.

It bugs me too when I can't find something...

What...other than a monument could that represent..I tried obelisk myself...but I don't think that is right either...

Jim

AndyT":2r0cr2rs said:
Alf":2r0cr2rs said:

I'm glad it's not just me - and I suppose we must conclude that you weren't the one who posted a picture of this mark
Well you could conclude that, but I wouldn't like to say so for certain - the effects of the aluminium pans tends to kick in these days! :lol:

As to how to describe the mark, I was toying with torch (unduly influenced by Olympic thinking perhaps), chimney, gas lamp, kiln and even still. But not really convinced on any of them.

Been sorting through loads of box's of stuff I need to sell earlier and found the same mark on the chip iron of an unnamed wooden smoother with a "MAWHOOD" blade.
Thing is the "MAWHOOD" trademark on this blade is a tree....

Must get a pic sorted

Andy

toolsntat":19on2eh1 said:
Been sorting through loads of box's of stuff I need to sell earlier and found the same mark on the chip iron of an unnamed wooden smoother with a "MAWHOOD" blade.
Thing is the "MAWHOOD" trademark on this blade is a tree....

Must get a pic sorted

Andy

Yes please, if you can - this is still bugging me (though it's worn off a little bit since August...) - but are you saying it's a Mawhood mark, or that your Mawhood plane has a cap iron from our mystery maker who is somebody else?

Righto folks.....

Plane is unmarked and been modified to rebate....
nov2211002.jpg

nov2211009.jpg

nov2211013.jpg

It would appear this mark has been struck some time after Jim's as the left portions of the swags are less defined

nov2211011.jpg

nov2211005.jpg

Judging by the condition of this screw-head I would say the 2 parts have been together since new BUT, that in no way implies they are from the same manufacturer

nov2211015.jpg

Cheers
Andy

I can see no connection between the MAWHOOD and Palm Tree Works and stamp....and that of the one which still remains a mystery.

This is almost unique on this forum...usually the joint investigative skills of the members comes through Sherlock-like in a matter of days!

Fascinating snippet that though Jake...so 1879 is the end of the Palm Tree Works? Or did it go on?

I can't find Mawhood in the reference books that I have...only a few examples on Google....mmmm

Jim

Mawhood finished up in 1879??? if that is when they last produced any tools then I have a very old chisel at work doing work thats an insult to its age :oops:

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

No skills":3lhvajkp said:
Mawhood finished up in 1879??? if that is when they last produced any tools then I have a very old chisel at work doing work thats an insult to its age :oops:

Can anybody confirm or deny this?

It would appear the company was taken over from receivership in 1879 and then flourished throughout the 20C....from the National Archives:

The business was established by 1879, as manufacturers of steel files. By 1909 it was known as Mawhood Bros Ltd and in 1978 the business was bought out by Gordon Tools and closed down.

Wonder what happened to Gordon Tools!

Jim

A bit more interesting family history:

In Australia...

Margaret (MAWHOOD) and her family left Bathurst in March 1865, bound for England. It appears though that further children included:

EDITH PAULINE MAWHOOD (born 1865, Bridlington Quay, YKS),
twins WALDO ELLISON MAWHOOD (born 1867, Ellerker, WRY, died 1941, Isle of Man (buried Derbyshire))
and JOSEPH THOMAS MAWHOOD (born 1867, Ellerker, WRY; married Rosella Stanford),
CHARLES SHAFTO ARMSTRONG MAWHOOD (born 1868, Ellerker, WRY, died 1891 in India, buried ?Manganhor Tea Estate),
FREDERICK RICHARD CONRAD MAWHOOD (born 1869, Sheffield, WRY, died 1871) and
FREDERICK CONRAD MAWHOOD (born 1874, Sheffield, WRY, died 18?91).

They settled in Sheffield, involving themselves with the steel industry and making a good living from it. Mawhood Brothers Limited manufactured tools and cutlery at Palm Tree Works, very successfully until the early 1930s. Apparently then there was a family row and Harold Chope (son-in-law of John Mawhood) managed to take control of the company leading to a second migration of some of the family to Oberon. Mawhood Brothers struggled on until World War II when they switched to armaments and made a lot of money. About the mid-1950s Harold Chope sold out and retired to Bournemouth where Joan died in 1981 and Harold died in 1996 just before his 97th birthday. The company was only dissolved in the early 1980s.

Picture of the Pond Hill works...1930 (source Sheffield City Council website)

s18724.jpg

Some of the family remained in or returned to Australia and formed Mawhood Bros PTY.....

Jim

Thanks Jim, nice bit of history there. Possably my chisel could of been made in the late 70's * - at least thats what I'm going to tell myself which doesnt make me feel so bad :)

* so its only as old as I am :oops:

I feel a Mawhood chisel hunt coming on.

Back