Car boot finds 9/4/17

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racers

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Chaps

Picked this lot up today.

Car boot finds by Racers, on Flickr

No8 stay set blade missing the end and two planes £3 chisels 50p each ebony mortise gauge £3.

The big side bead is a Stothert Bath looks like a nice plane the tonguing plane has had the ends sanded!

Pete

Still not got enough tools Pete? :wink: But they needed rescuing and I can see that the prices must have been very hard to resist. :)

Andy, I can still get into may garage, so no.

:wink: :D

Record No8 laminated blade! I couldn't leave that behind! and looks like I need to make another stay set cap.

Pete

MrTeroo":3nk3af96 said:
Some nice photographs on your Flickr page

Are you a Piscean by any chance?

Yes I am a piscean but I don't believe in astrology, typical piscean :wink:

How could you tell?

Pete

Every one of them is one I would have taken myself. First thing I thought when I saw them was he's a piscean.

Fish view of the surroundings. Little bit abstract, lot's of juxtaposition of angles. Lots of unsharpness, unusual views of what would seem workaday things to anyone else.

You may not believe in astrology but you advertise your birth sign in your creativity

:wink:

MrTeroo":17jrt6m7 said:
Every one of them is one I would have taken myself. First thing I thought when I saw them was he's a piscean.

Fish view of the surroundings. Little bit abstract, lot's of juxtaposition of angles. Lots of unsharpness, unusual views of what would seem workaday things to anyone else.

You may not believe in astrology but you advertise your birth sign in your creativity

:wink:

100% Bullsh*t.

BugBear

Nice finds Pete! Those chisels 50p and in that condition!! I so need to visit the UK during car-boot season with a wad of Sterling in my pocket.

MrTeroo":vcps073u said:
Ooo, interesting. I didn't know you could figure a person's star sign from looking at their photographs.

Mine share all the same hallmarks you just highlighted :D

I'm not a Pisces :mrgreen:

Started the clean up today,

First the boxing was lose and bent in the side bead.

Bent boxing by Racers, on Flickr

A soak in hot water softened both pieces and with the help of some blocks with notches they where glued back in.

Clamp me up by Racers, on Flickr

The marking gauge has some problems like a chip in the head and a split in the shaft, but some clamps and PU glue sorted them out.
The pins where replaced with some silver steel ground to a point, a flat hammered in the end secures them in place nicely.
A scrub with a scotchbrite pad and wax cleaned it up a treat.

Alfred Ridge mortice gauge by Racers, on Flickr

I tried not to shine the brass up to much.

The sash mortice chisel has been sharpened and I started on the 1 1/2" Marples chisel but then it was tea time and I had to go in.

Pete

ED65":1ogdkpai said:
MrTeroo":1ogdkpai said:
Ooo, interesting. I didn't know you could figure a person's star sign from looking at their photographs.

Mine share all the same hallmarks you just highlighted :D

I'm not a Pisces :mrgreen:

Me neither, but I did. Pete asked me how I knew and I tried to put it into words.

Not very succesfully. But nonetheless, when I looked at his collection of photographs I was certain he was Piscean

It wasn't a guess. It was a definite feeling.

Trying to explain it in words was probably a mistake. It wasn't one photograph it was the style of them all that I picked up on I think.

I'm not a follower of astrology but I definitely believe that people born under the same star sign have similar character traits.

I understand those that will scoff at this, but it's real to me :)

Hi Pete, do you have any tips for replacing the pins in an old gauge? Did you have to make the replacement pins from scratch or use some kind of wire?

I will take a guess at the above.

By the looks of it you can unscrew the brass in order to replace the pins. He got some silver steel rod of the same diameter, shaped one end (possibly in a drill press), cut it to length, placed it in the brass and hammered over the back to stop it coming out and then reattached the brass to the wood

nabs":3jivho11 said:
Hi Pete, do you have any tips for replacing the pins in an old gauge? Did you have to make the replacement pins from scratch or use some kind of wire?

LuptonM got it nearly right a cordless drill grinder and diamond stones and some silver steel to make the points, them hammer flats into the end then they will be an interference fit into the brass, it dosen't take much to secure them.

Drill bit shafts can also be used it you don't have ant silver steel.

Pete

Racers":2gid9zxw said:
silver steel to make the points, them hammer flats into the end then they will be an interference fit into the brass, it dosen't take much to secure them.

Drill bit shafts can also be used it you don't have ant silver steel.

Thanks Pete that is very helpful - particularly the tip on adding a flat to the end, which I would never have thought of!

Yep it spreads the end of the rod out in two directions.

Pete

I made a new nose piece for the stay set cap iron today.
I cut a piece of 3mm steel the right width and about 10mm to long, clamped it in a vice to the point where the bend started and bashed it over then cut the excess off. I marked the slot and sawed a couple of cuts as near to the lines as I dared, then chiselled the bit in the middle off.
Cleaned the slot up with a file and drilled the hole.
The front edge was filled down and lapped flat to make good contact with the blade.
I installed it into my N08 using the existing blade, it worked a treat, no clogging and nice clean cuts taking fine shavings or thick ones.
I sharpened the blade that came with it, after sorting out some major kinks in it, it looked like it had been dropped upside down probably cracking the frog and then badly straightened, luckily it is a laminated blade so its mostly soft steel and easy to correct.

Record N08 with a stayset cap iorn by Racers, on Flickr

Pete

Latest posts

Back