BS400 Bandsaw Upper Guide Question/Concern

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tetsuaiga

Established Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone else has this bandsaw what do you think of the upper blade guide?

When setting it I never guide know what's right as the contact disc is mounted in such a way that it freely pivots, so it's not parallel to the blade. To me that seems very strange as if you move the disc toward the saw and it only contacts at the point it's pivoting towards it doesn't give support as it can freely orient back even when the guide is locked down.

Maybe the paper trick is the only way you can set these right?

Ive been considering switching to normal roller bearing system as I never feel I know that they're set correctly, there's doesn't seem to be anything available unless you modify the rod fixture.

Hi
I have the BS 300e which has the same guide system as the 400. Like you I don't like the system with the disc's.
They just don't seem right if you know what I mean !!
But setting them as shown with in the video I got with it,does seem to work fine.
Don't like the system at all on 3/16" blade I have but as yet I am still on the learning curve with this band saw.
So may be me. :?: :?:

Hm I forgot about the dvd, I think I still have it so I better take a look.

I never liked the guides on my BS300E. There were alternative guides available with normal bearings but even one of these had the thrust bearing mounted the wrong way round to my way of thinking. I thought this somewhat odd as the standard lower thrust bearing on the BS300E is a conventional type and works absolutely fine. Its the only one I haven't replaced. Luckily I have the tools to make my own guides.

I have the BS350 and the guides are the same its a nice BS but there is too much stuff around the guides which makes it difficult to see what exactly is going on especially the lower guides. When adjusting the upper guide I have the rise and fall lock knob tightened.

Random Orbital Bob has a big Record bandsaw don't know if the BS400 though, looks about the same size as mine 16 inch, but a different make.

I've found that with a good blade and enough tension, I never need to be piece of paper close anyway. I just get as close as I can visually and then run it to check it's not hitting anywhere.

woodpig needs to go into production, I think he'd have quite a few orders :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Like you Pike i've had perfectly good results with the bandsaw, despite probably pushing it pretty far resawing 23cm sycamore. I did only just realise the rise fall mechanism on mine hadn't been calibrated at all, something i've only just sorted out after having it for a long time. The angle was quite badly off so the guide would change its back/forward position depending on its height.

Yes that's exactly the issue I had initially. There's probably a thread about it here somewhere :)

That's interesting you had the issue too, it seems strange such a simple thing would be overlooked.

I didn't even know how you adjusted or if you even could until looking around and finding the grub adjustment screws inside.

pollys13":2dvp7o2v said:
Random Orbital Bob has a big Record bandsaw don't know if the BS400 though, looks about the same size as mine 16 inch, but a different make.

This was the thread I started way back to document my early experiences with setting up the BS400 and taking it through the first cuts. It has been added to off and on many times so it's worth a read to soak up many other people's experiences.

topic78828.html

I have the BS400 and dont have a problem at all, although I have not looked that closely recently. When setting the thrust bearing, the adjustment is a bit difficult due to the fact that when tightening it up, it tends to move a little forward and that could be improved. However when setting the blade changes, I do spend time to ensure that the blade runs without any guide or thrust wheels moving at all and dont bother with the paper thickness. After all, the guides are only to bump the blade back if it rund off course. The guides that woodpig has made are far superior and I would love to have them, but can manage with the Record ones and my Carter Stabilizer for smaller blades.
Malcolm

Where are yoiu located in the UK Tetsuaiga ?

I think a few, including myself, would love some of Woodpig's guides. But if I recall when somebody enquired he said they just take too much time to make for it to be worth his while. Shame.

Terry.

I've got this exact same problem too. I need to take it out and check but I'm guessing it's because the screw digs a hole in the thrust bearing arm which it then wants to slip into when you tighten. My guess is it's just not that strong and you need to not tighten too much for it (which is counter intuitive for something that is supposed to be accurately positioned).

I do like the saw, just a few things like this are a shame.

Alexam":2h2as1zp said:
When setting the thrust bearing, the adjustment is a bit difficult due to the fact that when tightening it up, it tends to move a little forward and that could be improved.

I'm in Buckinghamshire Alexam. I've fixed the problem with the rise mechanism now after some fiddling.

I'm not sure if there are any guides on the carter website that would be suitable, they seem to have quite a large range. The guides do work of course, just setting them is a bit weird.

Tetsuaiga, going back to your original question, I think I agree with you that the guides are sloppy. Although I'm wondering if you have a more significant problem?

When you say they "freely pivot and give no support" do you mean they move a few mm (which I think is probably still doing the job) or perhaps you have an actually faulty and loose guide?

To be sure, are you talking about the thrust bearing behind the blade or the roller guides either side?

I also have a slight error when moving the top guides up or down but it's only small so I haven't bothered trying to correct it. I also get round the problem though by just moving the whole guide assembly backwards or forwards. This is much easier if you replace the screw that locks the guide mounting rod with a small Bristol Locking Lever. It's another small improvement. I'll post a picture.

It's just the side ones pike, I'll try and post a picture tomorrow to show. I have actually wondered if maybe they're meant to be the way they are so it might be good to have someone else see, but yes it's only a few mm really

Latest posts

Back