Beware.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskywill

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week, I had my usual notification from PlusNet that they would be direct debiting my monthly bill. I thought it was a bit higher than usual so looked at a detailed breakdown. I found that one call, supposedly to 118888, that lasted for 7 seconds, was charged at £7.08. I, nor my wife, ever call 118 numbers so I queried it. After a lot of suggestions that implied that somebody in the household must have called it they checked the "raw call data" and found that, in fact, the call was not made. They said I would be refunded but no apology was forthcoming.

My bill is still wrong because I believe they have listed the call plan monthly charge twice, but that is still to be sorted.

Check your bills.

I like the first review on that page, where the person who wrote it is blissfully unaware that Plusnet are owned by BT.

I was just about to comment and say they are owned by BT. I'd recommend Zen - although a little more. They are excellent at customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We've been with PlusNet for more than a year for both phone and broadband and have never had a problem.
Happy customer.

Roughcut":1reovbih said:
We've been with PlusNet for more than a year for both phone and broadband and have never had a problem.
Happy customer.

I've been with them since 2012 with no problem until this happened. When I queried the apparent double call plan charge they denied that that was the case and that my higher bill this month was for calls made outside my call plan. They amounted to 71p.

DiscoStu":2dkl9tl6 said:
I was just about to comment and say they are owned by BT. I'd recommend Zen - although a little more. They are excellent at customer service.

So the average rating among the big providers is around 1/10, and yet they score 9.2/10?

something smells fishy :p

transatlantic":2v12os5f said:
So the average rating among the big providers is around 1/10, and yet they score 9.2/10?

They operate independently of BT. I've rarely needed to call their support line but been very impressed when I have.

mind_the_goat":10i0gcqu said:
transatlantic":10i0gcqu said:

They operate independently of BT. I've rarely needed to call their support line but been very impressed when I have.

{whispers} I think he's talking about Zen.

Swmbos just been caught for £80 for not cancelling a contract properly with EE. She paid the bill, changed network, didn't take the number and thought that was that. 18 months later after no communication from them whatsoever, either by mail or email (we moved house but had 6 months redirect) she gets a debt collectors letter for £160. This is potentially dangerous, as she works for an upmarket Swedish bank. She said quite sensibly that as she didn't take the number (as she wanted it changed, anyway), didn't use the number after their last conversation and had paid up to that point that that was that - but, no, she should have gone back to them and confirmed something, apparently. They offered absolutely no explanation as to why there had been no communication for 18 months. She was told if she took it further she would lose as it is in the fine print, so when they offered to half it she accepted it rather than risk a disciplinary at work.

The trust pilot review site from the original link shows a 77% of one star reviews. If I was looking at something like an Amazon or an ebay seller with that sort of rating then I would not dream of using them. Enough said?

K

graduate_owner":38tcdbv3 said:
The trust pilot review site from the original link shows a 77% of one star reviews. If I was looking at something like an Amazon or an ebay seller with that sort of rating then I would not dream of using them. Enough said?

K

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trustpilot

Independent investigations have revealed that review websites such as Trustpilot's have fake reviewing on an almost industrial scale

Qui custodiet ipsos custodes?

BugBear

... and as anyone can edit Wikipedia should we hold much trust in what's written there?

RogerP":27fuihsz said:
... and as anyone can edit Wikipedia should we hold much trust in what's written there?

There are citations against the claims, which you can check. That's part of the Wikipedia model; it's not just assertions.

BugBear

I've had an awful time with utility companies.

Just general terrible customer service from EE, but OVO are really doing my head in over energy. I should be paying about £50 a month for combined energy. I rarely use much electricity during the day, even when I was running power tools all day I wasn't going over that because we don't have lights on, not much TV use etc. Our heating is terrible, so we were heating the house with the woodburner instead.

I gave my meter readings fairly religiously for a while and was charged in the mid-40s every month, then for a few months I missed them and was charged in the area of £100 for an 'estimated bill' despite never coming anywhere close to that. I got back on top of my readings and after a couple of months of my bill being back in the mid-40s, I received an email informing me that my monthly debit was being raised to £101 to reflect my past usage. The usage that they themselves had just made up despite evidence to the contrary.

Safe to say I'm changing provider. I'm also switching from EE to someone else too, though I haven't decided who yet. It seems to me as if they lure you in with good deals then just see how much money they can squeeze out of you once you're locked in. I imagine a lot of people just trust their providers and assume it's their own mistake.

RogerP":4flzijtq said:

Not strictly true. Wikipedia runs on a ton of over-zealous volunteers who's job it is to police edits. Essentially, if you make an edit, someone will catch it then check it and revert it if it's nonsense. Technically anyone can edit it, but good luck slipping through the net.

I've got a friend who is a teacher and regularly puts false info into Wikipedia so that when students who are not meant to use it find the info she knows that they've copied it. She always puts it right but you can't trust it and who's to say the the people who do police it are all knowledgeable.

Back