best glue for metal

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt@

Established Member
Reaction score
from B and Q and 2 pack, which ones the best for metal?

I have to glue a metal clock hand to something metal and will have approx 2 to 3mm overlap.

I have used the black araldite (for metal) one but it seems a bit rubbery. Someone else says Araldite Rapid is best as it goes harder

the joint wont be agitated or stressed afterwards!

Any views?

More metal. Can you heat then and soft solder?

If not, if it's just low stress, use whatever you like.

Epoxy resin always has tack if not properly mixed.

But for a zero load, you could even use super glue, if the enevitable white colour creep can be cleaned or won't be an issue.

no, got to be glue. Think I will stick with the metal araldite, I'll do a test piece first...

thanks for the tip on the tack!

JB Weld is pretty good stuff Matt, it holds the carbide tips on the end of round steel rod for the blade guides on my bandsaw.

I used it after being advised on the forum.

Araldite Rapid ALWAYS hardens off a bit "rubbery" in my experience. "Original" araldite (the 24 hour stuff) is much harder when fully cured.

But for this, gel type superglue will do fine, PROVIDED you make sure to get the glue ONLY where you need it (use a pin, or toothpick to apply it). I'm assuming here that like most clocks, in yours both the hour hand and minute hand are driven by a what looks like a single shaft but is actually 2 shafts, the outer being a tube with inner shaft running inside it. You do NOT want glue in the wrong place (down the tube, which capillary action can easily do if you're not very careful - and especially if using "runny" superglue rather than gel type).

Loctite do a range of "glues" specially designed for metal,(called "anerboeric" - sp? - or some word like that) including a glue ideal for this. I forget which number but a quick Google onto Loctite's web site will soon put you right. Also ARC Eurotrade (see sticky in Metalworking Section) sell a complete range of a competing product (just as good) and have a complete explanation of all available types on their web site.

+1 for JB weld but it's a bit "sticky" to get cleanly into a small area like this.

HTH

AES

P.S. DO remember to clean the area thoroughly before applying the glue. Tiny strip of fine wet n dry first, followed by acetone (nail varnish remover) will be good, but again, be carful not to allow if to run down the "drive tube" - capillary action again).

Back