Bandsaw replacement

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheptonphil

Scrumpy junkie
Reaction score
Hi All

I am looking to replace my old Delta 12" band saw with a new 14" model.

I use it for hobby use, blanks for wood turning, ripping branches up to 6-7" diameter, minor flat work, I prefer spinny stuff.

Have narrowed the field down to two possible contenders, which I believe would fit the bill.

Record BS350s @ £699, 1100w 5 year warranty
Axminster HBS350N 850w @ £649 3 year warranty

if I went to the Next level on both makes they would be c£1000, (Record would be 16", Axi would be 14" trade), affordable, but I'm not sure I would get the £350 benefit for my purpose.

I am leaning towards the Record, if only for the extra warranty, but would sacrifice that if the Axi was more highly recommended. I work on a cry once basis, so budget is not the primary concern, value and suitability is.

Does anyone have experience and plusses/negatives over these two brands of band saw please.

Happy Christmas to everyone on the forum, it is a pleasure to be a member on here.

Phil

The Record Bandsaws are really good and as you say, the 5 year guarantee is worth a great deal and they do back that up with exceptional service. Rememer that if you buy whe a sale/demo is on around the country, you will get a good discount as well as free deivery and this may help you.

I have the Reord BS400, which is a larger machine and I know others who have this model and the 350 series who are delighted with Record.

With all bandsaws you do need to 'tune' the running and have good blades (Tuffsaw) to get the best and if you check out this review it may help record-power-bs350-bandsaw-review-t2690.html

This is a BS400 review - record-power-bs400-bandsaw-review-t78828.html

Alex

I have an early version of the Axi SBW3501B (Trade) which is likely the 14" saw you refer to if you upgraded your budget and bought Axi. I also have a Hammer N4400 17" unit for comparison to a bigger saw. Have to say that despite the fact that they are clearly two different beasts the Axi holds it's own for general use against the Hammer. I've no experience with the Axi hobby range but I would say, having seen Record kit I would probably err towards the Record over a hobby Axi - Lots of good reviews on Record on here.

If I were to replace my 14", it would be another Axi Trade or a Record. For what it's worth.

The only real advice I can impart is buy the best you can afford. Hobby or pro, you will appreciate a better machine every time you use it.

i have an axminster and have had no problems at all. It was one of their industrial ranges from a few years ago, and i bought it secondhand. it is several years old now, without checking i couldn't tell you exactly how old.

If I was replacing it, i would look at the axminster trade series. The industrials are only the largest models which are probably a bit big for what you want. It may not have the 5 year warranty on it, but i have heard too many record users having to rely on that for my liking. The record power warranty is only for domestic use, and I would rather have the 3 year warranty from axminster which covers trade use. Whilst i am not trade (in any way), i have more faith in something that is warranted for a medium business and 3000 hours over the 3 years than 500 over 5 years. (axminster hobby series is 100 hours per year, and I judge this as being comparable to Record's "domestic use").

Hi Phil, I have recently bought the Record BS350s at £699 which included the wheel base (a must for me) and three extra blades.
I have just made a large ply jig base plate that fits over the iron one. 3 x 2 feet. This is for a new garden fence I am about to make. Still using the original blade that came with the machine but early days yet to give you an honest opinion.
No negatives so far and I am very pleased with my machine (never used one before so don't really know what I'm talking about) Just had a new log burner fitted and the installer remarked about the nice shaped logs in the basket. Had to practice on something...one thing I did notice is that there are stacks of vids on U-tube and even on the record site...bb

Thanks for the replies. Alexm, I had seen the review of the bs350, and have just read the whole of Random orbital bob's excellent full review. Real food for thought.

I have the jet 3520b and jdp17 drill, so I guess the 16" is more in keeping, size wise, though I really don't want to stretch to the Jet 16" at £1100

I am on a trip to Axminster next Tuesday, and have to pass within a mile or so of Yandles, so can drop in on the way down.

I can see this being more than a fact finding mission by the end of the day.

Will trawl the forum for more reviews and keep you posted.

Phil

woodpig":32jgdhph said:
Also consider a used Startrite.

I have looked around for a Startrite, but our local schools were re-kitted with Axminster and Jet kit a few years ago (probably to meet more stringent H&S rules), Fleabay ones seem to be 415v and expensive. I think I can find Hen's teeth easier than a decent local 240v used Startrite 351/2.

To confuse further, the Axi SBW3501B has just reduced today by £90 to £889, and I think 14" capacity is plenty. Will be checking these out Tuesday though along with the display model of the Jet 16x at £999

phil

Sheptonphil":49ja112j said:
Hi All

I am looking to replace my old Delta 12" band saw with a new 14" model.

I use it for hobby use, blanks for wood turning, ripping branches up to 6-7" diameter, minor flat work, I prefer spinny stuff.

Have narrowed the field down to two possible contenders, which I believe would fit the bill.

Record BS350s @ £699, 1100w 5 year warranty
Axminster HBS350N 850w @ £649 3 year warranty

if I went to the Next level on both makes they would be c£1000, (Record would be 16", Axi would be 14" trade), affordable, but I'm not sure I would get the £350 benefit for my purpose.

I am leaning towards the Record, if only for the extra warranty, but would sacrifice that if the Axi was more highly recommended. I work on a cry once basis, so budget is not the primary concern, value and suitability is.

Does anyone have experience and plusses/negatives over these two brands of band saw please.

Happy Christmas to everyone on the forum, it is a pleasure to be a member on here.

Phil

I used a Record 350 for many years and was very happy with it, the guide mounts were cast aluminium and one broke, but Record replaced it FOC and the replacement held up okay.

To be honest once you're at that £500 to £600 level you're in a bandsaw sweet spot, with plenty of pretty good machines that will easily cope with your intended use. There aren't many woodworking machines where £500-600 will get you a professional standard piece of kit, but with bandsaws you've found the exception that proves the rule!

Good luck!

Thanks again for more testimony to the satisfaction with the BS350 and BS400. This is going to be a hands in decision I think.

In the workshop yesterday and I can't increase the footprint greatly over what the Delta 12" takes up so this will certainly be a factor.

My recent purchase of the Record 10" disc 6" belt sander assures me record stuff is well built. A little noisier than I presumed it would be, but runs very well and is quite robust.

Keep you posted as it develops.

Phil

Hi Phil,

don't forget 'wheels'. This can make a great deal of difference on floor space, as I have found in getting several largish machines, but they can all be wheeled away and squashed in when the cars need the garage. You may have already thought of that though.

Cheers

Hi Phil, I had a similar dilemma recently except I wanted a 16" saw (longer term upgrade insurance). I looked at everything: Record, Axi trade, Startrite, Hammer, Jet etc.

I ended up with the Jet as as Axminster did me a very good deal and it is trade rated. The record 400 is a fine machine, let down a bit by some poor details such as plastic adjustment handles. The 5 year guarantee was not persuasive to me as a bandsaw is a simple tool and I tend to regard this as marketing spin or indicative of an expectation of problems. I have two record machines and both needed minor fixes under guarantee within weeks. That said, I do think they are good value.

I went for the Jet as I found it to be better made, more rigid and better finished than the Axi trade equivalent and I preferred the fence and general handling. It was also cheaper. It has had about 60 hours of use since I bought it in October 2015 and although it needed careful set up, I have been very pleased. That said I think if you go for any good brand, buy good blades and set it up well, you will be happy.

AJB Temple":wb7pd6x9 said:
I went for the Jet as I found it to be better made, more rigid and better finished than the Axi trade equivalent and I preferred the fence and general handling. It was also cheaper. It has had about 60 hours of use since I bought it in October 2015 and although it needed careful set up, I have been very pleased. That said I think if you go for any good brand, buy good blades and set it up well, you will be happy.

I did consider the Jet 14" briefly as I do have a fair amount of Jet gear that I like, however, the 14" version is rated at 550w, which is half the power of the Record, and a two third of the Axminster , So I have dismissed the 14" Jet (rightly or wrongly) on that basis. Not entirely convinced all manufacturers use the same criteria when quoting motor power though, as the Jet says 550w S1 100%, 950w S6 40% whatever that means. So is the 950w S6 100% the same criteria as the 750w single quote on the Axminster and the 1100w on the record?

I am looking at the 16" one, but feel it may be too large for the space available/work intended.

As for wheels, this would certainly allow a little more flexibility in use, at the moment I can 'bump' the Delta around a little to give extra access, this would be impractical with a 100kg machine, but without a workshop extension (it is only 6m square) or a complete internal redesign, I feel the 16" may be a step up too far as far as positioning in the current spot which works. Armed with a tape measure, we'll see.

Phil

In comparison to some other machines Bandsaws already have a fairly small workshop footprint. The size of the table must have a large bearing on this so it may be worth checking that out on the various machines?

Phil, I am not sure the power ratings are either reliable or meaningful. As result of the kind assistance of members here, and Axminster being helpful too, I was able to cut some slices off a large (around 10" by 10") piece of oak which has been lying around for 20 years or so and is rick hard. Actually none of the machines had any trouble at all with this as long as they were fitted with decent blades. Unless you are being extremely demanding in terms of throughput, I doubt that power will be an issue.

Once I started comparing floor mounted machines I didn't fine that there was really a great deal in it in terms of footprint between 14" 16" or 18" machines. My workshop is smaller than yours (11m by 3m) so I expect you will he no trouble getting any f these size machines in. I found that there was a step up in robustness between 14" and 16" and possibly a further step up in spec at 18". However, I had a height issue in my workshop so that ruled out an 18" machine and also required me to have a dedicated 16amp supply. I don't need to move my 16" jet around much, but if I did I can walk it around on the floor quite easily and don't feel the need for wheels. I always think that wheels improve convenience but reduce stability on machines, unless there is a lift and drop mechanism.

It is also worth thinking about which machines give you good dust collection if that is important to you.

Thanks for the time for input AJB.

It was the quoted power that put me off the 14 Jet, but we'll see.

Choices, choices. This topic has bounced me from 14" to 16" to 14" and then to haven't a clue. It's going to be a hands on, get the feel of them, sort of decision, after a visit to both tool centres.

As the missus is no longer coming along 'for the ride' I can spend as long as I want prevaricating and going from one to the other ( and back again if the need arises) without 'how much longer' every 15 minutes.

As for blades, I've only used Tuffsaw blades on the Delta and would continue to do so.

Looking forward to this Tuesday.

Phil

Update

A round trip to Yandles and Axminster.

Yandles, the record 14 inch and 16 inch. There was no difference n footprint between the pair, but a noticible difference in weight and build between the two, so decided whichever brand it was going to be the 16". They both looked decent solid machines though. Problem though is the delivery is made on a full size HGV 16 ton plus wagon. There is no chance of anything over 7.5 ton getting within 1/2 a mile of the house as we live up a lane, to have it delivered on a smaller wagon was "going to be silly money". This logistically put Record on the back burner, but not ruled out.

Down to Axminster, looked at the pairs of Axi trade and Jet. Comparing the 16" models, both looks and felt heavy and solid, but the Axi was fitted with a 16a round plug, I don't have a dedicated 16a circuit, and no real chance of running another cable up to the workshop either. The Jet has a standard 13a plug, and seemed to be finished off better. With £200 off, it was in budget, so I pulled the trigger on the Jet JWBS-16X. As luck has it, the HGV lorry, a 7.5 ton unit, was already passing within a couple of miles of me tomorrow, Wednesday, so it will be dropped off to the house.

I will be reorganising the workshop this week, but will hopefully post a full review later this week of how this machine pans out, warts 'n all.

Phil

The Jet looks good with a sturdy fence and I like the idea of thumb screws rather than the usual socket head/allen key on the guides.
My Record saw (bought from D&M Tools) was delivered on a 7.5 ton truck by a guy from Frome, Somerset, very helpful guy and placed it in the middle of my garage/workshop.
I look forward to reading your review...bb

Back