Anyone know about: A. A. Jones & Shipman - Drilling machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkinnyB

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I picked up a A. A. Jones & Shipman - Drilling machine from Gumtree for a hefty £5!
I was wondering if anyone knows anything about them? Very little online about them.

All I can really find out is that A. A. Jones & Shipman formed in 1911 from A. A. Jones, Pollard and Shipman when Pollard left the company.

Then there a few adverts for "New Century Drilling Machines" after that date. However I can't find any picture resembling my machine.

Anyway...

The machine is in pretty good nick for its age. Cant see any broken castings. Table does have some significant rust to it. I hope that this cleans up well.
The plug is smashed to pieces but from what a gathered: I spoke to the sellers and the owner had a metal workshop set up in the (damp) garage. I saw a small forge and there used to be some lathes in there. So I presume it is in working order.

The bearings spin very freely, as does the motor. I think internally it has been well looked after.

Going to be my next fixer upper... After my Morticer, Startrite drill and Meddings drill. Going for a grey look this time.

IMG_3391 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3390 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3386 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Looking closer at the table there are not any drill marks in the table, apart from a 10mm round divot in the centre. Im not sure if this is from factory but I will have to look closer when I clean it up.

IMG_3384 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3387 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

Brook Motor. No Compton here. Not sure if this is original though. May help date the machine though.

IMG_3382 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

All the moving parts all covered in oil which is good news.

IMG_3383 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3380 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3388 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3381 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

I presume this is for holding some oil:

IMG_3389 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3379 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

IMG_3385 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

And finally picked up this fire + water damaged 15" Meddings MK2 Bench drill. (At least I think) The same day. £60 via Ebay. Looks in good nick again. Needs a new top. Probably 3D print one. Good clean up and a paint. It used to be a light blue!

IMG_3392 by jamie skinner, on Flickr

I THINK Jack over at english machines has this exact machine if I remember correctly, restored it completely too.

I don't think he frequents this forum but I think he's pretty active over at the Old Woodworking Machines Forum (OWWM)

He'd be the guy to ask, he could probably tell you every little excruciating detail about it.

That is a lovely little thing. I'm sure my motor winders has the same one. It has some decent age to it. I think its classed as a sensitive drill for precision work. I think I want one

Trevanion":37x8anqu said:
I THINK Jack...

...but I think he's pretty active over at the Old Woodworking Machines Forum (OWWM)...
I don't think you'll find Jack at OWWM anymore. More likely on the Canadian forum, Vintage Power Tools section: https://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/f ... ower-tools
However I believe he's mostly on Instagram these days (and I'm not :( )

As for info on Jones & Shipman, try:
http://www.vintagemachinery.org/mfginde ... 0631&tab=0
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/A._A._Jones_and_Shipman
http://www.lathes.co.uk/jonesandshipman/

HTH.

Cheers, Vann.

Looking at the motor plate, I note that it is rated at 230/240 volts.
Historically, there was a gradual supply voltage change-over in the UK in the late 1950s and early 1960s. Usually it was carried out by area.
The mains single phase supply voltage changed from 250 volts AC to 240 Volts. (Currently the European Harmonised voltage is 230 volts, +10% / -6%).
I can remember coming into my apprenticeship in 1963 at the fag-end of the change-over in South Wales, as a lot of machines and appliances needed alterations.
It may well be that the motor was changed at that time. Older induction motors could not work with the expected current increase at the lower voltage which was frequently measured at the plug nearer 220 volts than 240. They were either replaced or re-wound.

Back