anyone fitted Axminsters hobby sliding table to a trade AW10

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giantbeat

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

right, odd question i know.

I have been looking at the Charnwood W650 & W629, their machines appeal as they come with the compact sliding table as std (the same that comes with the Axminster hobby machines), however doing the regular back & forth looking at Axminster & Charnwood trying to work out which was a better option.... i suddenly spotted the Axminster trade machine has what looks to be a dramatically batter fence system to the W650

i dont do loads of cross cutting, the fence is far more important... but its handy to have for when i need to do some general joinery for the workshop, it seems in an ideal world i would like the AW10 but with the hobby sliding accessory, im wondering of i can retro fit one.

i know you can get the Axminster machine with the full big slider, but its way too big as im trying to free up space taken by my current SP12 sliding table, which is overkill for what i need.

From the looks of it, the hobby sliding accessory mounts through bolts into the underside of the table. The AW10BSB2 doesn't have receivers for those bolts.

You could potentially mount the sliding accessory onto a table that sits next to the TS200 though. Personally, I'd just build my own using draw slides.

MattRoberts":1kq8x8s1 said:
From the looks of it, the hobby sliding accessory mounts through bolts into the underside of the table. The AW10BSB2 doesn't have receivers for those bolts.

You could potentially mount the sliding accessory onto a table that sits next to the TS200 though. Personally, I'd just build my own using draw slides.

yeah just come to the same conclusion after trawling through many many pics.... i was thinking of using the rear extension mount arms for the table add on.
had not though about adding a 2nd bench... my veneer storage rack will be going down that side of the saw so i could just incorporate it into the rack top.

shame the charnwood fences look so poor compared to the axminister.

the pondering continues.

Looking at the hobby series of manuals: http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf from page 17 it fits with four bolts countersunk into the table and two arms attached to that, would not be impossible task to drill your table to receive the bolts, any adjustment in height if out of range can be done with washers.

Mike

MikeJhn":2ezki1yd said:
Looking at the hobby series of manuals: http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf from page 17 it fits with four bolts countersunk into the table and two arms attached to that, would not be impossible task to drill your table to receive the bolts, any adjustment in height if out of range can be done with washers.

Mike

deffo the option if i buy a 2nd hand saw, not sure i want to drill the top if im buying new.

im sure i can come to some mounting method, having looked at the manuals im very confident i can make it work.

Just bear in mind that the bottom of the car iron table is a honeycomb structure, so it might not be super easy to drill and tap in just the right place

The fixing bars have captive nuts already in them, no need to thread the table, they are just bolted through, the arms can be positioned where you want rather than have to be in a specific place, just far enough apart to give support to the length of the sliding carriage, obviously at the correct distance from the edge of the table, but that can be ascertained by visiting an Axminster store and measuring one of the table saws that have this fitting.

Mike

MikeJhn":1kd56zz5 said:
The fixing bars have captive nuts already in them, no need to thread the table, they are just bolted through, the arms can be positioned where you want rather than have to be in a specific place, just far enough apart to give support to the length of the sliding carriage, obviously at the correct distance from the edge of the table, but that can be ascertained by visiting an Axminster store and measuring one of the table saws that have this fitting.

Mike

thats basically all i needed to know about that aspect, i will try to avoid drilling t top if i can but if thats the ebst way in the end at lest i know its a viable option for me.

Thanks guys, i might just get the setup i want yet.

Hi giantbeat,

I've been back and forth looking at the Charnwood W650 & Axi AW10BSB2 - what did you choose in the end?

Cheers!

hi mate i went for the itech 01332 didn't get the sliding carriage for ether at this stage as i decided i might not have room, have mannaged and occasionally borrowed use the workshop next doors wall saw when having to cut big sheets, have decided i will probably pick up a track saw at some point.

the itech has been brilliant, gets used every day in a busy commercial workshop manufacturing musical instruments my review is on here somewhere.

Back