Another Turning Tragedy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Some of the members may have already heard the sad news about the american turner Joan Kelly.

However for those that don't frequent the USA based forums I've linked to the Segmented Turners Forum, for details of the tragic accident.

Thats a shame, but as it said she was turning a big piece of wood and some of it smashed into her face, i take it she was NOT wearing any protective face/head shields.
My thoughts go out to her family..

RIP, a reminder to us all that accidents happen no matter how good or careful you are. I guess it would be pure speculation to say how it happened.
Mike

Very sad and it certainly made me think again about my own workshop practices.

Several near misses which I shrug off as accidents but Joan's death is a stark reminder that it only takes one that doesn't miss.

Very sad ..... And so avoidable

Unless the obvious lessons - to always use face protection are learnt by the rest of Us, the Turning community, what was undoubtedly a tragedy becomes a tragic waste.

Spread the word - accidents happen, but with appropriate precautions accidents become inconveniences.

Our thoughts and prayers must be with the family. It's heartening to read the husbands account of the support he is getting though.

Pete

I was just using my grinder to shape a bolt head and it went through my mine that i should have worn my face mask - now I read this it sent shivers down my spine - I'm here alone so would be a few hours before anyone found me!

My thoughts for her family - very sad!

Thats very sad. Thats 2 american women killed by lathes. A student was sucked in by her hair a few weeks ago at a university. :(

Wood spoiler":1kfd96t2 said:
Very sad ..... And so avoidable

Unless the obvious lessons - to always use face protection are learnt by the rest of Us, the Turning community, what was undoubtedly a tragedy becomes a tragic waste.

Spread the word - accidents happen, but with appropriate precautions accidents become inconveniences.

Colin

I didn't see any reference to her not using safety gear - whilst it is always interesting and instructional to know if it was being worn etc we shouldn't judge tat it could have been avoidable - your post makes it look like you're blaming her for this.

Frankly I wear a full face shield or a mask with full face protection however if a 2' square lump flew off and hit the top of my head it wouldn't be a lot of good - granted my face would be preserved in it's current state however the damage to the brain would be rather more problematical (even allowing for the ravages of age etc :)) Without wearing a crash hat I can't see what would help in that situation.

My thoughts to her family - so sad.

Miles

Latest posts

Back