Another new toy.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powertools

Established Member
Reaction score
hobbies a1.jpg

After a journey that should have taken no more than 1 and a 1/2 hours taking nearly 4 hours I finally arrived home with this.

it is a Hobbies A1 fret saw in fair condition but needs a good clean and new belt.

Attachments

• hobbies a1.jpg
    hobbies a1.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 2,619
It was you that started me on all this collecting lark.
I will help in any way I can.
I like the look of the green one.

I'm having to keep these down the inspection pit in my garage as the extent of my yard is what you can see in the photo. I'll only be able to work on one at a time, so I will do the green one first. I had some old Hobbies Catalogues in PDF format but I am beginning to think they disappeared into the ether when my HDD packed up, and no backup, of course, so I am looking for info now. I have most of the parts though, it's just a matter of figuring out how they go together. And the chap gave me enough new belt for both machines.

Martin.

Perhaps we should turn this into a joint restoration WIP thread but I should point out that my workshop time is limited at the moment and the budget
for the job is zero and I am already into an overspent of £7 having ordered a new belt.
When I got home yesterday all I did was take the picture and put the saw into the workshop. I have given it the once over this morning and the work it needs other than the belt will be a repaint and 2 new wooden arms making for it.
The top arm in particular is bent downwards and even like this the metal strap that goes over the top to stop that happening still has no tension in it so something needs sorting there.
Other than that the machine is complete in every way and if you need pictures of any particular part just ask.

I would really appreciate photos of the back and front of the arms, both on top and underneath. That way I could see straight away whether anything is missing, although the chap who gave me the saws was obviously well up on them and was sorting out parts for me. I suspect the other saw, the rusty one, is the same except for the frame, but it's very rusty and the arms are rotten so with my eyesight, it's difficult to see what's what until it is apart.
I'm glad you mentioned WIP as I have only taken the one photo and I have already freed off the top spindle and small pulley of the rusty one - and not a drop of WD40 to be seen. :D
I just found a 1954 Hobbies Weekly on t'internet, and the A1 was £7-19-6d. Expensive saw!

Pictures that may help

Rear of the arms.

a1 rear.jpg

Front of the arms with the table removed.

a1 front.jpg

As I said I am happy that we both add our wip pictures to this thread if you want but your progress may be a lot faster than mine and I am not going to spend much on mine I will just use materials I already have kicking around the workshop.

Attachments

• a1 front.jpg
    a1 front.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 2,539
  • a1 rear.jpg
    a1 rear.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 2,539
A picture to compare the A1 and the Victory saws.

a1 victory.jpg

I actually think that I prefer the A1. The Victory is a much better made machine but you need legs like a weightlifter to operate it but I will restore it after I have done the A1.

Attachments

• a1 victory.jpg
    a1 victory.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 2,538
Thanks for the photos. I was surprised how small the saws actually are, your Victory looked enormous when I first saw the ad for it.
One thing my rusty one has that the others don't appear to have is a blower. I hope I can find some details out about this one.
Don't expect me galloping ahead with restoration, I have had a grinder rest in the pipeline which I began cutting the pieces for about 2 years ago, and I recently finished a travelling steady for my lathe that I started about 1997. As for obtaining parts, I don't drive, so it'd be quickest for me to plant a tree and grow the wood for the arms, except I don't have a yard/garden. :)

Very interesting photos of the old machines that where around when I first bought my copy of Hobbies Weekly.I cut my first project with the hand fretsaw.Bought the Hegner many years later,and only used it regular of the past 10 years.Thank you lads for the memories. =D>

Bryan

Some great looking machines I am sure they will be fantastic when they are all restored. Just out of interest will they take a pinless blade

I haven't looked at the blade clamps on mine yet, in fact I don't even know if I have got any, but I imagine they can easily be adapted to take either.

Martin.

Martin and Powertools.

Nice looking saws, brings back happy childhood memories for me which is long ago, particularly the Hobbies model.

Its your saws and you must restore to the level you are happy with, the reason I say this, I used to have vintage OC engines, which I used to take and exhibit at steam rallies, the strong feeling was, that the bright and expertly painted engines were very nice and a credit to their owners/custodians, but their was nothing better than seeing an engine in its working clothes, (ie the condition it was in when earning its living).
The condition of mine ?, a cross between the two.

You lucky boys, if I keep looking I may find one some day. :mrgreen:

Take care.

Chris R.

Chris, I was surprised to find how many there are around and for sale. I did a search a few days ago and found at least 3 that had recently sold for less than £30, and looked to be in working condition. It would have been cheaper for me to buy a good working one than pay for the petrol on Saturday to pick these two up, but nowhere as much fun. :)

I agree with you on the looks of old tools and machinery, but when you have one in the state one of mine is in, it tends to dictate its own finish. I have already promised this one to someone who cuts name plaques at the seaside for a living, but told him not to expect it until next year.:)

Martin.

Martin.

I would think that cutting name plaques at the seaside using an original Hobbies Saw, would draw in the public, then make the sale of a plaque, lovely jubbly, this time next year we will be millionaires.
Heard that before some ware.

On a completely separate note, last year my brother-in-law’s friend who is a (GP), made a couple of visits to my workshop, to try out using a scroll saw, as he wanted to cut jigsaws using family photos, and yes I managed to convert him, he purchased a saw from Axminster, I was unable to convince him to buy a Hegner, as he did not want to invest that sort of money, (GP’s don’t earn much). :roll:

He got the idea for cutting these jigsaws, from a friend of his in France who does it for a living, using a foot treadle saw, apparently he had a go with this treadle saw, and found it hard work and difficult to hold a good cut line, while moving his feet up and down at the same time, but said it was a good cardiac vascular work out.
So if your friend is unable to make a living at the seaside cutting plaques, maybe you could rent out the saw as a fitness machine, just a thought, and remember this advice came from a (GP). :!:

If they are around, I must actively keep an eye out, if I did obtain one, it would be for decoration only, maybe in the hallway if the long haired boss would allow it. :wink: I would not be able to use it as due to (MS) I am unable to lift my right leg up and down.

Take care.

Chris R.

My A1 saw in it's present condition is un usable . The reason I purchased it was because it was all there and would make a nice restoration project.
The main reasons of concern are the wooden arms are bent inwards and the steel straps that should stop this happening are loose even though the adjustment on them is at it's full extent. In this state it is impossible to get any tension on the blade.
My first thought was to shorten the straps and bring the arms back to straight however I have also noticed a small crack in the top arm so have decided to make new arms and modify the supports to wire rods much the same as are on the Victory saw.
The other problem is that the slot in the table is now a rather large hole where it has been cut into many times because the clamp that holds the table in place is a crude affair and will also need modifying.
With having to strip the saw down so much to do the repairs I will repaint it but if there was a concours for fretsaws I would not expect mine to win.
If there is any interest I will show WIP photos.
At the end of the day these saws have little value whatever their condition but the value is in the pleasure of making an old machine usable again.

Chris, the chap cutting name plaques at the seaside is already make a living at it and has been for some years. I've only spoken to him a couple of times, but we were chatting in the sun for 3 hours yesterday. My O/H phoned me to let me know my dinner was ready and I was 80 miles away in Whitby talking about scroll saws, philosophy, interpreting dreams, buying a house in the Whitby area and life in general. He's an entertaining chap. :D

PT, the gent I got my saws off told me to watch out for a Hobbies catalogue, I think he said in the autumn, which contains some of the smaller scroll saw parts. I intended making some parts for the unknown saw, but if they are cheap enough I might buy them instead.

After cleaning rust and flaking paint off the rusty scroll saw, I found out that that it is also an A1, although it looks to be a much earlier model that the green one. It's now completely in bits. I made enquiries about having the frame blasted and possibly powder coated but decided I don't want to spend anywhere near that much on it. I know there will be sharp intakes of breath at the mention of powder coating on something this old, but it would have covered two bits of not so brilliant cast iron welding, though I can hopefully grind them down without losing too much strength. Anyway it's a matter of getting a working saw, not a concours restoration. I'll need to replace a lot of the small parts and find some coach bolts as the threads have rusted away on most of them. All the wood is rotten but a pal has got some oak which will hopefully do, though I don't know how I will get it down from 1" thick to 5/8" thick.

Photos as I got it and as it is now - and as it's likely to remain for some time. :mrgreen:
complete saw small.jpg

frame small.jpg

parts small.jpg

Attachments

• complete saw small.jpg
    complete saw small.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 884
  • frame small.jpg
    frame small.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 884
  • parts small.jpg
    parts small.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 883
I had no idea that you were going to tackle the rusty one first, you are well up for a challenge.
It is an interesting saw and is one of the early A1 saws that Hobbies introduced in around 1910 and will be well worth the effort.
I have removed the top from the stand of mine and striped the top down I don't need to strip the stand down as the condition is not as bad as yours.
Photos to follow at the weekend.

Back