Another collection of joined up wood bits.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHJ

Established Member
Reaction score
Ash and Walnut 250mm diam. (and a few bits of brass)
DSCN4119.JPG
DSCN4120.JPG

In Flat Pack form.
DSCN4121.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4119.JPG
    DSCN4119.JPG
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,555
  • DSCN4120.JPG
    DSCN4120.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 1,555
  • DSCN4121.JPG
    DSCN4121.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 1,555
tekno.mage":21m2q2q8 said:
..... I like the threaded connectors.

They are something you could do on a wood lathe with a little care, the knurling would be a problem but a series of skew chisel grooves and some coarse sandpaper should do to increase the grip.
DSCN4123.JPG

These are for the three in work at the moment.

Attachments

• DSCN4123.JPG
    DSCN4123.JPG
    134.6 KB · Views: 1,377
CHJ":1m1kq0x1 said:
They are something you could do on a wood lathe with a little care, the knurling would be a problem but a series of skew chisel grooves and some coarse sandpaper should do to increase the grip.

I wonder if the Robert Sorby spiralling tool would do the trick.

gregmcateer":28ry0mb7 said:
Very nice, Chas.
Your patience and obvious skill never cease to amaze me
Greg
Not a lot of patience these days I'm afraid, skill? mostly down to nearly 40 years working in a research environment that helps think outside the box and find easy routes to most tasks, often eliminating the need to spend time perfecting hand and craft skills.

Sample:-- needed to bore some 8mm holes on size and true in the walnut connecting pieces above and the Plates.
Used an engineering Centre Drill, not influenced by grain etc. rather than a standard twist drill. Avoided any chance of oversize and reduced care and attention needed.
12472.jpg

Think about Work Flow, complete tasks in an economical fashion that avoids repeated chuck & tool changing then there's less chance of getting bored with a project because it's taking a long time to complete.

A few more to add to the collection.
DSCN4125.JPG
DSCN4126.JPG
DSCN4127.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN4125.JPG
    DSCN4125.JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1,256
  • DSCN4126.JPG
    DSCN4126.JPG
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,256
  • DSCN4127.JPG
    DSCN4127.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,256
Came across one being prepared for use over the holidays.
DSCN4319L.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN4319L.jpg
    DSCN4319L.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 1,060
Apart from the obvious quality of work I like the combination of Walnut and Ash. I'm not a fan of Ash [is there something wrong with me?] but I think in this piece it looks just right in contrast with the Walnut.

If I may be so bold I think the central spindles could benefit from more of a continuous curve crossing the platters than is obvious from the photo's, suggestive of piercing the platters. It could just be the point of view though.

monkeybiter":3lpr5qhv said:
......If I may be so bold I think the central spindles could benefit from more of a continuous curve crossing the platters than is obvious from the photo's, suggestive of piercing the platters. It could just be the point of view though.
I can see what you mean and did sketch it out as 'lighthouse curve' but it ended up too large a diameter at base or too fragile at top.

Really clean lines and form.
a question? How do you find working with Walnut? It so happens I have access to a walnut tree trunk, is 250 mile trip so debating on it. size is known and there should be at least three metres of more than 12" diameter trunk.

woodfarmer":3205nm05 said:
.... How do you find working with Walnut? ...

I think it must be my all time wood of choice for ease of machining and finishing.

Latest posts

Back