An unusual little hammer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what trade this hammer belongs to? It had a very crude short handle when I received it so I made a new one of ash.

Attachments

• IMG_0564 (2).jpg
    IMG_0564 (2).jpg
    187.6 KB · Views: 2,313
HA HA - I guess I asked for that one :)
Any more ideas, anyone? (funny or serious)

Salaman's dictionary says it's a "shackle pin maul" which would be used on a ship to knock the pin out of a shackle.
There's a picture of a similar one here in the collection of the Falkirk Community Trust:

1987-119-014.JPG

It's definitely not for ships. A maul used for shackles would be a lot bigger and is a different shape. In fact the maul is normally held against the pin to be removed and then hit with a sledge hammer. The type of shackles that have a pin that is hammered out are normally huge and used for joining anchor chains etc. The last one I hammered out was so bit it took 2 people to move.
It could be used for setting spikes( large iron nails) in boats, used like a nail punch but with a handle to stop you hitting your hands.

I'm not a shipwright and am just repeating what I have found, but if you follow the link I gave you'll see that the one in the Falkirk museum is only 350mm long and 170mm across the head, which looks about the same size as rxh's. Is it not possible that these were made in a wide range of sizes to suit different sizes of shackles? I can see that the big pin in an anchor chain shackle would need something in proportion, but there are smaller sized shackles for lighter purposes aren't there?

Andy has certainly given the only close match in Salaman (I looked this morning).

However. Salaman is listing woodworking tools, and hammers are used (gasp) for things other than woodworking.

I know.

It's shocking.

Anyone got a copy of "The hammer: The king of tools", by Ron Baird? It list over 1000 types (*)

BugBear

(*) it really does.

Let's rephrase that: Has anyone got a copy of 'The Hammer: The King of Tools' and not mind admitting it in public? :)

(you're among friends here!)

rxh":1r3qwnms said:
Does anyone know what trade this hammer belongs to? It had a very crude short handle when I received it so I made a new one of ash.

Does it have a visible brand name or (to be honest) any other markings?

BugBear

I think it's used for putting the lids on coffins....

CLICK

.........the "mourning hammer" in this link

:mrgreen:

I don't care ya' know.....

I've been singing that all blinkin' morning because of this thread so it's your fault...you get the coat! :mrgreen:

Jim

GazPal":eakw5azk said:
I still say cobblers, but because it looks like a pinning hammer used when fitting heels to ladies shoes. :)

Coincidence presents - I once tried to ID a hammer, on an OLDTOOLS thread

http://swingleydev.com/archive/get.php? ... t_thread=1

It turned out to be a "wood heel hammer", used as you describe.

barnesley_hammer.jpg

If that's a wood heel hammer, I don't think the one in the present thread can be one too, unless they vary a lot.

BugBear

Potentially a different hammer pattern along similar lines to comparisons between Warrington, London and Lancashire patterns
Hammers_and_Mallets-15.jpg
perhaps? I uncovered the picture link showing hammer and three footed last quite accidentally when googling for cobbler's hammer pictures, but do recall seeing similar hammers in use at our local saddler/cobblers. I probably have a very similar one tucked away somewhere in a dark corner of my workshop. :D

GazPal":nklfk6nw said:
Potentially a different hammer pattern along similar lines to comparisons between Warrington, London and Lancashire patterns
Hammers_and_Mallets-15.jpg
perhaps? I uncovered the picture link showing hammer and three footed last quite accidentally when googling for cobbler's hammer pictures, but do recall seeing similar hammers in use at our local saddler/cobblers. I probably have a very similar one tucked away somewhere in a dark corner of my workshop. :D

Agreed. There's no doubt the picture you found matches the hammer the OP has, so it's definitely cobblers.

I think resolving this ID any further probably needs either Salaman's Leather tool dictionary, or the "king of tools" book.

Edit: from ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Cast-Ir ... 7675.l2557

BugBear

Back