An unusual little hammer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've definitely seen one of these hammers in use on shoe work, but think the one I have came from an uncle who worked as a whitesmith (Tin & pewter). Following that track of thought I re-googled for tin smithing/tinning hammers and came up with these......
$T2eC16RHJHEE9ny2q9TZBQ,1isUGR!~~60_35.JPG

H0219822216_tinsmiths-hammer-pr_artnr_822216-width304maxheight304.jpg

images

Hammers are so versatile and often very readily and successfully cross-over between the various crafts. :D

Following up on the 'King of Tools' book... according to a review on Amazon.com the book was a bit of a disappointment. But the late author's collection of a mere 1322 hammers was bought and absorbed into its rightful place - a collection of over 12,000 hammers owned by Scotty and Karen Fulton in Kentucky. Popular woodworking here profile it and linked to some good photos on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/etherfarm/4556878566/

It seems that quite a lot of hammers have a fat bit at one end and a thin bit at the other!

Thanks to everyone for their contributions.
The hammer has a few faint letter markings
- one side seems to have: L TOOL
- the legible letters on the other side are: C ILI
It weighs about 6 oz.
The "spike" is about 9/16" diameter at its thickest, tapering to about 1/4".

AndyT said:
Following up on the 'King of Tools' book... according to a review on Amazon.com the book was a bit of a disappointment. But the late author's collection of a mere 1322 hammers was bought and absorbed into its rightful place - a collection of over 12,000 hammers owned by Scotty and Karen Fulton in Kentucky. Popular woodworking here profile it and linked to some good photos on Flickr:

Talk about slope, thats a vertical cliff !!!!!! :shock:

jimi43":1o0u4vnp said:
And you know if the Prof said it's for ships it's definitely not cobblers!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Jim
Maybe not, although aboard H.M. ships the cobbler is a 'Snob'. :lol:

I knew I had a couple of mauls in my shed somewhere. Finally found them the other day.

20130422_082445.jpg

As can be seen they are a different shape and quite bigger than the one in the original picture. The small one weighs about the same as a lump hammer and handle is about 2 1/2 foot long.

bugbear":2bxt5rgm said:
.........Anyone got a copy of "The hammer: The king of tools", by Ron Baird? It list over 1000 types (*)
BugBear
I just checked the prices asked for this book on the web :eek: :shock:

Dangermouse":28rxgcmt said:
AndyT":28rxgcmt said:

Talk about slope, thats a vertical cliff !!!!!! :shock:

They're still playing at it compared to Ken Hawley (who when I met him was nice enough to show me the part (majority) of the collection that's in storage at Kelham Island)... Let that be a warning to everyone who jokes about expanding plane cabinets... You'll end up having to convince someone to give you a warehouse one day.

My wife bought a plane from Ken Hawley's shop, aparantly she had to explain why she wanted it and why he should sell it to her. Sadly I nver met him. The collection at Kelham Islnd is amazing but needs looking after and displaying better...

dannykaye":2uxm4zhc said:
My wife bought a plane from Ken Hawley's shop, aparantly she had to explain why she wanted it and why he should sell it to her. Sadly I nver met him. The collection at Kelham Islnd is amazing but needs looking after and displaying better...

There's still time! Mr Hawley is still alive (or at least he was at Easter when I had the pleasure of meeting him by chance at Kelham Island).

When I was speaking to him, he was saying that they were hoping to have a bigger and more detailed exhibition space in the not too distant future, but that simply cataloging the collection was proving to be an extremely challenging task.
I would agree that the current exhibition doesn't do his collection, archive and personal knowlege justice, though I don't think that what I (and I presume many others here) would want to see and is necessarily something that would appeal to and enthuse the public at large.

Back