A bookcase for Bonnie (SWMBO)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barkwindjammer

Established Member
Reaction score
I hope this will inspire other noobs, like me,
before last year I found wood to be a completely mysterious and difficult material, then I found this forum :wink:
and a whole new world of possibility opened up, helped along by the many inspiring posts and projects that is held in this encyclopedia of knowledge.
A hearty thanks to all who make this forum what it is :D , and to Chems for allowing me to pick his brains with those annoying noob type questions :)

Sorry there's no WIP pics, as I became so consumed in what I was doing.

This bookcase was made of 'fixboard' a pine laminated board,
the back is 6mm ply which sits in a groove (dado, groove, rabbet) which I cut with my cheapo biscuit jointer (makes a blerdy good job)
and the finish (this was the bit I had the sleepless nights over) was 'Sadolin-earth balance- stain and varnish

P1010539.jpg

P1010536.jpg

P1010535.jpg

P1010537.jpg

There is a tiny routered detail that I added to the sides with my cheapo router, its kinda hard to see, but its there
P1010538.jpg

P1010540.jpg

I started with a very simple 'Sketchup' drawing (thanks DaveR) just to determine scale and for 'setting out' .
The 500x18x2400 boards were ripped down with my Bahco Ergo handsaw £12, squared on a homemade shooting-board with a modern 'Faithfull' £28 plane, the cut-outs in the shelves and small detail to the inner sides of the bookcase sides were done with a Lidl (or Aldi) router £22 I think? .

Sure, you get what you pay for when it comes to tools, but to fellow 'noobs' out there-its what you do, with what you have. What I have learned is patience, and that timeless saying "keep wood as long as you can, as long as you can".

Jeez, I wish I had found this hobby 20 years ago :wink:

well done, just remember to think about the finished look when you design the next piece.
As to my eye, the back board looks a bit treacly, but as it will be filled with books and stuff, that will soon
dissappear.

Hope swimbo likes it too,

K

Yep, totally agree Houtslager the last pic looks 'Radio pants FM', but in my excitement and haste that pic was taken with only 1 coat of stain/varnish, the other 2 coats now make it look deeper and more lustrious (a word I learned on here :oops: ), the flash on the digi camera doesn't help either, yep SWMBO said I'm 'on a promise'-
probably a blanket chest or bedside cabinets or summat :( :D

Great work, even more so with the hand ripping!

What would improve it no end for next time is a tongue and groove back. I used to make my own but you can buy a pack of 2m lengths of T+G with about 5 planks in for £5 in focus. So the last few projects I've done I've just bought that, worth looking into for the next project.

Look into wood dyes as well for your next project. A wood dye and a nice clear coat lacquer comes up well on these pine boards. I've had good results with the hannants range designed for pine:

http://www.hannants.com/pine-wood-stain

smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif
smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif
smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif
smiley_two_thumbs_up.gif

Looks great BWJ! The execution appears to be very good. My only design issue is with the plinth, but obviously the customer (SWMBO) is always right! I prefer to see pine if making pine furniture rather than staining, but again just personal preference. Otherwise an excellent job.
cheers
Steve

Looks good for a newbie, I like the shape and form but not my colour, but as long as SWMBO loves it thats all that matters
Dave

looks great, I am not a fan of staining timber as i prefer au natural................there is nothing wrong with buying tools on a small budget, its when you use them day in day out that they become a nuisance.

I think it's a great project, well done. My only "nit-pick" is I would have preferred the shelves to be in stopped housings so that the chamfer detail ran unhindered.

Oh you've done it now! Made a great job, shown swimbo just what you can do and all that. Trouble is that may well lead to a list.

Well done keep up the good work =D>

xy

Nicely done Barkwindjammer, if the lady (customer) likes it, then it's perfect - just to echo previous warnings however, make sure you put a cloth over it when folks come round or you will be inundated with "I wonder if you could"s and "I was looking for exactly that"s, looking forward to the next escapade! P

Thank you for all the replies, and the critique its all beneficial

cant get the hang of replying to individual posts, with quotes, so

Chems: thanks for the help and the link to that site (bookmarked), and the tongue and grooved idea-next time !

Orcamesh: the plinth ? I did toy with the idea of bull-nosing the edge, and also contouring it to match the shelve profile?

Shultzy: good point, I see it now

mark270981, and Woodenbloke: I agree completely, I thought it would be wasted with the stain/varnish, I like pine with to show, aged or antique colouring.

all comments are very much appreciated-its given me more to think about, and great encouragement, like Rob (Woodenbloke mentions in the 'tips and wrinkles' post-"For me there's only one thing to remember...producing quality work is as much about thinking your way through as the application of the tools. It's just that I wish I could think a bit more"-this should be a mantra for anyone new to this woodwork malarky)

Will post a pic of it in situ, without the help and knowledge gleaned from this forum I wouldn't have thought this to be acheivable to this standard a year ago, in the flesh it really does look a lot better than the last pic I took, I think I've surprised myself more than anyone else, Noobs take heed-'a slope approacheth' :shock: :D

A nice job. I like the details you have used on the front edges of the shelves. I agree with Chems' comment on the potential use of tongue and groove boards for the back and also, some of the other comments on use of stopped grooves at the front (so it looks as though the shelf ends butt up against the sides, at the front of the unit). It sounds like you've had fun and have learned a lot, though. :)

Sorry, I didn't give enough detail about my comment on the plinth. What I meant was that it seems a bit wide (at the sides), perhaps? It just seems a bit wide to me, but like I say, it's really a design thing [& only a nit-pick!] rather than execution, you have done a great job!

Thanks for your comments guys, Orcamesh-yeah the plinth was made to match the width at the top shelf, I've got to admit that something doesn't look right about the plinth-just cant put my finger on it ? it does seem a bit 'chunky', not bad for a first project (unless you count my Nikki-esque can carousel as the first, yep its been a lot of fun doing this and a lot of learning in the process-
I'm sure Bonnie thinks I've been looking at ' Internet un-mentionables' :shock: for a while now-as every time she comes into the room I switch the screen to something else-too many great projects on here to allow her to even get a glimpse (homer) .
The finish has turned out great -Sadolin-Earth balance- Jacobean walnut (the plan was for the case to look old), think its an acrylic cos the brushes were cleaned with water, absolutely no smell or fumes,

So if your a Noob like me-get cracking-this time last year I couldn't hang a picture straight :? , and as you can see from the pic below-I still cant :oops:

final pic-in situ

P1010541.jpg

I was in there yesterday, one of the things they weren't short of was timber. A lot of the other shelves were all empty. Still focus prices, with 30% off it about brings them into line with other peoples prices. Knock 50% off an you might be near a bargain!

Excuse my ignorance, but

1) Why is planking on the back of the bookcase preferred to a ply panel? Is there some aesthetic value in being able to see the discrete planking elements?
2) I am not sure I fully understand the comments about
"I would have preferred the shelves to be in stopped housings so that the chamfer detail ran unhindered." Is this saying that the shelves are held in "through housings" and instead "stopped housings" would have been preferable?

Back