Moderators: Random Orbital Bob, nev, Noel, Charley, CHJ

By Dalboy
Well at least it is a good start, and I look forward to seeing more of you turnings. I need to rough turn some wood I got last year which I sealed and put into storage.
By CHJ
Dalboy wrote:Another good one Chas. Has the pile reduced much yet

Not so you'd notice Dereck, I've now to find a use for the salvaged wood cores from the last few pieces which have just added to the remains of the of the original stash that came to light.
Why is it we produce ever more offcuts when the original intention was to reduce the stock pile, and how small do they have to be before they go in the firewood bin.

It's not as though there is not a constant supply of shavings to be disposed of, I'm sure the stuff just grows while your not looking.
By Dalboy
CHJ wrote:
Not so you'd notice Dereck, I've now to find a use for the salvaged wood cores from the last few pieces which have just added to the remains of the of the original stash that came to light.
Why is it we produce ever more offcuts when the original intention was to reduce the stock pile, and how small do they have to be before they go in the firewood bin.

It's not as though there is not a constant supply of shavings to be disposed of, I'm sure the stuff just grows while your not looking.

Yes I have the same problem this is a 5 draw unit some time ago one draw is pen blanks the other three are for wood. Also since taking this I have emptied the fifth draw to take the overflow from the others. Each draw measures 43 1/2" X 29" X 2 1/2" :lol: :lol: :lol:

By CHJ
Had to resort to a spare segmented body to use up the lid that failed a fit test elsewhere, sometimes taking the simpler route to matching pieces together saves a lot of frustration.

Oak and Walnut, 113mm dia.
DSCN5095.JPG
DSCN5096.JPG
DSCN5097.JPG
DSCN5098.JPG
By CHJ
Just using up some of the Cores removed from previous pots blanks and start consumption of the little pot lids that got put on one side last June.

Oak & Sumac, 83mm dia.
DSCN5101.JPG
DSCN5102.JPG

Oak & Sumac, 90mm dia.
DSCN5103.JPG
DSCN5104.JPG
By Bigbud78
What do you core them with ? I hate losing all timber when doing big bowls :( not sure I can get anything reasonably priced to fit the CL4

Also I find that when doing the big bowls after I've hollowed them out they move a bit and are no longer round, this doesn't bother me on the bowls but I wanted to make a jewellery box for wifey but I'm worried about the lid not fitting due to movement after a day or so. I'm thinking of rough hollowing the piece I've got and storing it for a couple of months in the house before I finish it. (Its a piece of "dry" spalted beech from home of wood - So assume its not fully seasoned)
By CHJ
Bigbud78 wrote:What do you core them with ? I hate losing all timber when doing big bowls :( not sure I can get anything reasonably priced to fit the CL4

The 120-150mm boxes are constructed, basic blank cored with a parting tool and a false base fitted

I don't core large bowl blanks, do them so rarely these days cost of coring system not justified.

Bigbud78 wrote:Also I find that when doing the big bowls after I've hollowed them out they move a bit and are no longer round, this doesn't bother me on the bowls but I wanted to make a jewellery box for wifey but I'm worried about the lid not fitting due to movement after a day or so. I'm thinking of rough hollowing the piece I've got and storing it for a couple of months in the house before I finish it. (Its a piece of "dry" spalted beech from home of wood - So assume its not fully seasoned)

Arrange lid body interface so that you have an overlap shaped so that it disguises any oval movement.