Ye Olde Kentish Bash ** 6th March 2010 **

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt_S":7hnlsjyd said:
I've been meaning to visit Simon as I only live 5mins walk from his workshop!

I can't be more than a maybe for those dates as our first child is due on the 7th! First are normally late though aren't they?

Mrs Oryx talking : If you're only 5 mins away you should be fine. Having babies is scary but be assured they aren't quick (normally). You don't have to wait until next year. Pop in. We're both always looking for an excuse for a cup of tea and a chat.

Matt_S":1p9d1wj7 said:
First are normally late though aren't they?

Late? Our 1st one was 2 weeks early - St Albans (where I was on a short contract) to Bradford in 1hr 45mins (door to door) and over 90L of fuel. Luckily no tickets! :lol:

2nd one was 4 weeks early - thankfully wasn't working away that time!

Ours was full term but 27hrs labour :shock: Never again! :wink:

Dibs-h":3fmwqcq0 said:
Late? Our 1st one was 2 weeks early - St Albans (where I was on a short contract) to Bradford in 1hr 45mins (door to door) and over 90L of fuel. Luckily no tickets! :lol:

Google says thats 3 hours 9 minutes "normally" just to give the guys the measure of your feat. I'm inclined to say "glad you made it alive".

kevinr":3747fptx said:
Dibs-h":3747fptx said:

Google says thats 3 hours 9 minutes "normally" just to give the guys the measure of your feat. I'm inclined to say "glad you made it alive".

I did leave St Albans around 23:30 so traffic was light.

Lets just say the only time the speedo went below a ton was pulling into Leicester Forest East to refuel and then back out again, and then way over a ton (most of time it sat at 125 - with the "odd" burst above). Have to admit - I've never ragged a car like that before nor really after. :wink:

I pulled outside our door for around 01:15. Bloody ambulance people had left the front door unlocked and just closed it. Thankfully didn't come back to a "cleaned out" house!

Had to go back to St Albans - up and down every other day - the "beast" drank almost £600 in fuel going up and down that week! :shock: Thankfully the contract was only for 2 weeks!

Anyways - before we digress further (as someone is bound to point out :lol:), Matt_S - hope all goes well. Shame I'm upto the eyeballs with the build and will be no doubt doing the garage and the basement (workshop) at that time. Be nice to go.

big soft moose":3oymekr2 said:
paulm":3oymekr2 said:
Thought it would be miles too far, never been out that way before :shock: , but just checked on google maps and only an hour and a half away, so closer than Waka's, so yes please :D !!!

Cheers, Paul :D

depending where you are , north hampshire's damn nearly on the way to kent from north wiltshire so I could may be pick you up on the way and share fuel exes ;) - I drive a focus estate so plenty of room for impulse purchaes on the side trip to the axminster shop at sittingbourne.

Sounds good thanks! Just off J6 or J7 M3, if that works for you still ?

Cheers, Paul :D

Well Google says its only 90 miles so not too bad. :D
If Mike gets over his spinney problems, I could give him a lift, don't promise not to talk about round things on the way though. :roll: :wink:

Well this is looking like a good turn out already. We'll firm up dates and times just after xmas. Until then, get your thinking caps on as to what you want to see in terms of demos. Nothing too formal as there never seems enough time at these things. I have a little idea which will depend on whether they actually sort my back out.

wizer":349d9an8 said:
Until then, get your thinking caps on as to what you want to see in terms of demos.

Hollowing tools, some face-plate work, copy turning, maybe turning with green wood....

......should all be banned!

Mike
:D

I'm not sure I'm the right person to demonstrate 'latheing the rubbish out of something' :lol:

Mike Garnham":2jlwfgoy said:
wizer":2jlwfgoy said:
Until then, get your thinking caps on as to what you want to see in terms of demos.

Hollowing tools, some face-plate work, copy turning, maybe turning with green wood....

.....should all be banned!

Mike
:D

Typical bloody wicket keeper - always winding people up! :mrgreen:

Tom,

Please can you put my name down for the bash please.

I'd favour some demos on spinny stuff too.

'IF' there is a demand and it will not bore others who attended Waka's bash, I could bring my 3 phase inverter test rig along. Having built it for the last bash, I don't expect I will take it to pieces unless I need to rob it for parts.

Cheers

Bob

9fingers":1cnruhs5 said:
'IF' there is a demand and it will not bore others who attended Waka's bash, I could bring my 3 phase inverter test rig along. Having built it for the last bash, I don't expect I will take it to pieces unless I need to rob it for parts.

9fingers, not knowing much about electrickery just to point out we have 3 phase at our workshop - don't know if this matters or not to your demo but thought I would mention just in case

Mrs Oryx":1y1o84rm said:
9fingers":1y1o84rm said:

9fingers, not knowing much about electrickery just to point out we have 3 phase at our workshop - don't know if this matters or not to your demo but thought I would mention just in case

Thanks for the thought.
My demo is showing one method to run 3 phase equipment from a standard single phase (domestic) supply. All I would need is a 13amp socket.

Cheers

Bob

Back