Which Table Saw?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For a single garage workshop, and starting out, I would suggest a MFT (multifunction table) and track saw with hinged track. This will take up much less space (plus offer storage), be more accurate, and more flexible (use it as a bench with great work holding capability) than a small, cheapish tablesaw.

I built my own, including the top and hinged track (even though I have a large and quite expensive slider) ...

MFTRailHingeFenceMk2_html_74544ced.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek

For a single garage workshop, and starting out, I would suggest a MFT (multifunction table) and track saw with hinged track. This will take up much less space (plus offer storage), be more accurate, and more flexible (use it as a bench with great work holding capability) than a small, cheapish tablesaw.

I built my own, including the top and hinged track (even though I have a large and quite expensive slider) ...

MFTRailHingeFenceMk2_html_74544ced.jpg

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thanks for that Derek,

I have a MFT with Benchdogs hinge and fence system. I have not used it a lot as my garage has been under refurbishment for the last 3 months being insulated and boarded out as well as having the electrics installed and a few other things. I hope to get it up and running this week.

I guess I am guilty of watching too many YouTube videos before actually doing things myself! I was slightly put off by @petermillard when he decided that the hinge system was not accurate enough for him so had to go to a table saw to get the accuracy he was looking for. Peter of course is a very accomplished woodworker so it could well be that I am 5 or 10 years away from needing that level of accuracy…..

Anyway, appreciate your input.

Thanks again
BigDean.

I'm just gonna put this out there that when I was working in a single garage I brought into the American system of table saw centred working. I found it to be good and well supported with jigs sleds dadosetc.
I still use the dewalt dw746 table saw now.(25 years later) it's a good quality us made cast table saw. I'm not suggesting finding one as they aren't common just that system is well proven and supported in the home workshop. it can rip 3 inch hardwood easily at 1 3/4 hp so the 3hp of many saws must be overkill.
before I had space this saw did everything tenons housings crosscut angles etc

I am an amateur, I can get accurate cuts from a track saw and MFT. I don’t have a hinge.

I note for many years Peter delivered custom cabinetry without significant table saw use.

Given you mention you haven’t used your existing setup much, perhaps start and see if you need it?

Dewalt 7485
This is on the list as the budget option to "get me going". I know I will outgrow, but should I start at this level and work up?
If this is on your list, have a look at the Hikoki - you might decide to go in a different direction, but it's extremely good value and works very well. It's essentially a DeWalt 7492 but a lot cheaper

I am an amateur, I can get accurate cuts from a track saw and MFT. I don’t have a hinge.

I note for many years Peter delivered custom cabinetry without significant table saw use.

Given you mention you haven’t used your existing setup much, perhaps start and see if you need it?

In taking another’s workflow as an example to follow, it’s important to look at the whole picture; I suspect that Peter has full sheets broken down for him, by his local supplier.

You can, of course do that with either a track saw or an appropriate cabinet saw. But it’s a step to be considered.

Advice here to take a proper tablesaw like the Startrite is pertinent and in my opinion the best advice.

But if you must:
Don't get the lumberjack, chinese garbage
DeWalt will burst your eardrums and you'll regret it
Festool will drain your wallet and once your on that train you never get off, though I would be a little bit jealous if you did get it because it looks like a beautiful saw
No experience with the axi.

Thanks for that Derek,

I have a MFT with Benchdogs hinge and fence system. I have not used it a lot as my garage has been under refurbishment for the last 3 months being insulated and boarded out as well as having the electrics installed and a few other things. I hope to get it up and running this week.

I guess I am guilty of watching too many YouTube videos before actually doing things myself! I was slightly put off by @petermillard when he decided that the hinge system was not accurate enough for him so had to go to a table saw to get the accuracy he was looking for. Peter of course is a very accomplished woodworker so it could well be that I am 5 or 10 years away from needing that level of accuracy…..

Anyway, appreciate your input.

Thanks again
BigDean.

BD, as I recall, Peter wanted to make repeated cuts. While these are straightforward on a table saw, there are ways to do them as accurately with a track and saw, such as using a parallel guide. I do not recall Peter using one of these (he can speak for himself as he is a member here).

The reason I push a MFT rather than a table saw is that you have a small space and have been considering a small bench top table saw. I have not used one but all I hear about them suggests that they generally have limitations with the fence, and may not work out as well as a MFT. Given more space, I would recommend a medium-sized table saw every day. I have a Hammer K3 slider, which has a smaller foot print than the contractor saw I had previous to it, but this is still too large for a single garage.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Just to clarify, I’ve always owned table saws but never really used them, so gave away the one I had. For the general cabinetry I did, and for the modest amount of cutting I required, the tracksaw & MFT were perfect. What prompted me to start looking for a new table saw was the need for very precise cuts in very small workpieces, whilst still being useful for larger projects to ie not the proxxon model makers saw.

I did a whole video about my purchasing decision that included many of the saws you mention in that list; might be worth a watch? Why buy this saw?

TL;DR - I’d have bought the 10” Axminster benchtop cast iron saw had it been in stock, so I pre-ordered the Festool instead, which I’m very happy with now I have it. 👍

Just to clarify, I’ve always owned table saws but never really used them, so gave away the one I had. For the general cabinetry I did, and for the modest amount of cutting I required, the tracksaw & MFT were perfect. What prompted me to start looking for a new table saw was the need for very precise cuts in very small workpieces, whilst still being useful for larger projects to ie not the proxxon model makers saw.

I did a whole video about my purchasing decision that included many of the saws you mention in that list; might be worth a watch? Why buy this saw?

TL;DR - I’d have bought the 10” Axminster benchtop cast iron saw had it been in stock, so I pre-ordered the Festool instead, which I’m very happy with now I have it. 👍
Thanks Peter, appreciate the input.

All the best with the house extension.

I'd buy the iTech. It's a good, solid, no-frills saw with decent internals and a sturdy table at a sensible price. Chuck it on a mobile base (like the Rutland's one for £40) and you can scoot it around the workshop if you need to.

I'd definitely buy a new (or fairly new) saw if you want to avoid the hassles that can come with owning an older machine. I'm not saying that all new machines are without fault either but at least if you do have a problem the retailer should see you right.

I had a Holzmann for a couple of years. It was a decent saw but just too large for my workshop at the time with it's sliding table and extensions. I think they are just Record Power and Scheppach machines in a different colour. I have a Laguna Fusion 3 now which I love and would recommend wholeheartedly but I reckon it's too large for your garage workshop.

would any track saw fit into the Festool MFT ?

Do you mean would a track saw other than a Festool, work with Festool’s MFT system?

I would guess that any saw that works on the same type of rail would do it. Perhaps there are aftermarket adapters to allow other rails to be used with festool accessories?

But of course, you can make your own MFT, or something similar, such as a Paulk bench, to suit your needs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33344292...d_CiZDlSE6&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
https://stores.modularmarket.com/paulk_homes/the-paulk-smart-bench-psb-p21.php

Being a old age novice, I didn't even realise there were different types of track, shows what I know!!!
I'm pretty much in the same position as the original post. I'm a hobbyist woodworker. I would like to get some real accuracy into my cuts which are pretty much all done with my hand saws at the moment. Although my woodwork teacher at school told me I had a talent and should follow it up but that was 72 years ago.
I've got a half decent bandsaw (Record 350E) which is fine for general small and curved cuts which the boss bought me for our 60th wedding anniversary (wow that's a longtime).
I don't have a lot of space left so I thought a track saw and small table would help maybe.

Back