Pneumatic toilet flush button.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Brown

Freeloading Social media influenza
Reaction score
My wife's 800 year old American stepmother may be visiting us later this year. The toilet flush in the bathroom she'd be using is almost impossible to operate, even for big brutes like me. It's one of those fancy concealed cisterns. Are there any tips and tricks? Is there any mileage in changing the button only?

Are you able to send us a photo looking down into the cistern so we can see if there is a better alternative to whatever is there at the moment

If it works, but not very well, inspect the pressure tube(s) and push button for leakage. Check the cistern valve mechanism for free movement.
How old is it?
As a last resort use a bucket (of water that is, not bucket & chuck it, although that may be the very last resort)
Brian

Probably fairly old, but doesn't get a lot of use, as it's the spare bedroom. I'll take a more thorough look soon, when I finish all the other odd jobs..

Most push buttons are compatible with other makes but depends if it’s the type with tube as above or if it’s the type with the 2 adjustable rods ( 1 for full flush / 1 for short flush) also check that the filler ( ball valve equivalent) is not obstructed. If In doubt change both. Nb limescale within the button housing is often problem..

It's a tube type, thought that was obvious from the thread title!
Thanks for all the responses, I just wondered if there was a known hack/remedy. Will know more when I get round to a closer look.

If it works, but not very well, inspect the pressure tube(s) and push button for leakage. Check the cistern valve mechanism for free movement.
How old is it?
As a last resort use a bucket (of water that is, not bucket & chuck it, although that may be the very last resort)
Brian
The actual flush is fine, it's just that you need a lot of determination to press the button firmly enough to start the flush.

Assuming the existing flush button is level with cabinet (thus requiring strong fingers to depress) you could turn a small cylinder and stick it with hot glue to the existing button.

Easy to use as it would then stand proud of the cabinet, and easy to remove when she leaves.

Assuming the existing flush button is level with cabinet (thus requiring strong fingers to depress) you could turn a small cylinder and stick it with hot glue to the existing button.

Easy to use as it would then stand proud of the cabinet, and easy to remove when she leaves.
Might be worth a try, as a last resort.
Is it just me getting old, or did the cisterns with handles and giant ballcocks work better?

Might be worth a try, as a last resort.
Is it just me getting old, or did the cisterns with handles and giant ballcocks work better?
Most things years ago were big ugly but they worked .. you think you got problems- I’ve fitted 3 electric toilets and they have multi coloured lights, blue tooth music , it cleans your xxx, drys your xxx , does female cleaning etc but despite fitting the additional pump with Chinese instructions it doesn’t flush properly.. compared to the old high level cisterns it’s crud 🙈🙈🙈

Walking past the bathroom display in B&Q this afternoon was surprised to see a toilet seat rise as I came close. Obviously has a motion sensor attached to some kind of seat raising gizmo.

Perhaps I'll check whether it differentiates between male and female seat raising needs, or simply defaults to No 2s.. Not sure whether it goes down as the user then stands up, is on a timer, or waits until it has been flushed. Does it have an automated double flush for a large load.

Clear opportunity for App development to set all your personal parameters before even getting to the little room!

Clear opportunity for App development to set all your personal parameters before even getting to the little room!
Like some cars where they adjust seats and mirrors to the person but you cannot beat simplicity, imagine running to the loo with an imminent explosion and the seat refuses to open, it is bad enough when the central locking on your car fails but not so messy.

The 1st one I fitted was 2 years ago - I’d never seen or heard of them prior to that. However the biggest problem is pressure/ flow rate seems to be critical as there is no cistern to provide volume of water to push the waste out .. maybe not so smart after all..

Latest posts

Back