****ing boiler system...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right, chaps...
Borrowed the neighbour's phone again - didn't realise you could do videos on these things as well! Very clever!
Anyway, I chickened out a little - I opened the stoptap one whole revolution from closed and tried the bathroom hot tap....

View attachment 176406

Just a little 6" flavour of it. Not so sure it's evident on the video, but the basin was actually vibrating enough to cause the water to ripple....

Should have added that I then flushed the toilet, and turned the same tap....no noise, no vibration.
Suffice to say, the stop tap is back at 5 mins (approx) to closed!
That’s quite impressive!

I used to have some water hammer in this place when I moved in but not that bad. I was going to play at fitting a hammer arrestor but after fitting an extra length of pipe work and some flex to feed a freezer with self filling ice tray, it disappeared. Clearly enough to dampen the force.

It can definitely be solved.

When the new taps were fitted - all on rigid pipe or any flexi in there?

Whereabouts in the uk are you? If close, I would happily pop over and give an opinion or two.

That’s quite impressive!

I used to have some water hammer in this place when I moved in but not that bad. I was going to play at fitting a hammer arrestor but after fitting an extra length of pipe work and some flex to feed a freezer with self filling ice tray, it disappeared. Clearly enough to dampen the force.

It can definitely be solved.

When the new taps were fitted - all on rigid pipe or any flexi in there?

Whereabouts in the uk are you? If close, I would happily pop over and give an opinion or two.

Nail.... apologies, first of all!
Only just spotted your response, hence the tardy reply....sorry.
Unfortunately, your in Bucks and I'm in the very top of Derbyshire, so sad to say we're not exactly neighbours...but thank you anyway!
(In answer to your question, it's all rigid piping. Have spent a few days adjusting the stoptap/flow by miniscule amounts in order to find a "happy medium" - think we're going to have to live with it until the next plumber visit.

I would say that your problem is a seepage somewhere and the leak stopping goop has run it's course. If this was my problem I would leave it until we don't need the heating on so the radiators can be isolated and then with just the hot water circuit working see if it holds pressure and this will narrow down where your problem is. If it holds with just hot water then you need to attach a decent pressure tester like this and pump it up to 3 or 4 bar and then isolate the pressure pump. The gauge should hold steady and in a silent house with no one making any noise take a walk round a listen for any unexpected noises that indicates a leak. I expect you have already looked for any damp patchs that might be a leak but with a pressure pump attached and left on for a day or two it might show up as a damp patch due to the higher test pressure.

1709205849907.png

I would say that your problem is a seepage somewhere and the leak stopping goop has run it's course. If this was my problem I would leave it until we don't need the heating on so the radiators can be isolated and then with just the hot water circuit working see if it holds pressure and this will narrow down where your problem is. If it holds with just hot water then you need to attach a decent pressure tester like this and pump it up to 3 or 4 bar and then isolate the pressure pump. The gauge should hold steady and in a silent house with no one making any noise take a walk round a listen for any unexpected noises that indicates a leak. I expect you have already looked for any damp patchs that might be a leak but with a pressure pump attached and left on for a day or two it might show up as a damp patch due to the higher test pressure.

View attachment 176766

Pleased to say we've only had the single instance of F22 since the "stop leak" stuff was added. Amusingly it's still the first thing I do every morning - check to see if we've been F22'd overnight! Old habits, an' all that!
Yes, I see your logic with the heating v. just hot water. Last summer we were going for 5 days-ish between top-ups, but of course that was prior to the magic liquid being added, so it'll be interesting to see what happens when the weather warms up a bit and the CH turned off. That'll depend on her ladyship, but I'll hedge my bets on it being circa July 9. That'll probably last for around 48 hours, July 11 being the cusp of autumn in her book...

Back