Washing machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes it runs fine unloaded,but,that's no good to me!
The suggestion to run it empty was to help confirm if it was a machine fault or a loading fault , I’ve just seen a post where you say it happens with heavier loads - starting to sound like the appliance is at fault but I guess getting the engineer to agree is another battle ..

The suggestion to run it empty was to help confirm if it was a machine fault or a loading fault , I’ve just seen a post where you say it happens with heavier loads - starting to sound like the appliance is at fault but I guess getting the engineer to agree is another battle ..
Yes! I suppose the other question I could ask is if anyone has a fairly new machine,and do they have issues of it moving around when starting the full spin cycle?

Yes! I suppose the other question I could ask is if anyone has a fairly new machine,and do they have issues of it moving around when starting the full spin cycle?
As I said in my earlier post it doesn't happen with ours which by co-incidence is also a John Lewis branded machine, I can't remember who manufactures for them. I think weve had it around 18 months and it doesn't go walkabout whatever the load. My missus puts in far more than 3 extra large bath towels btw.
We had our previous machine for 10 years, a Miele which was also excellent.

As I also said it's not something I'd accept and would be pushing very hard indeed for a fix, refund or swap. John Lewis are one of the better companies to get a solution from.

As I said in my earlier post it doesn't happen with ours which by co-incidence is also a John Lewis branded machine, I can't remember who manufactures for them. I think weve had it around 18 months and it doesn't go walkabout whatever the load. My missus puts in far more than 3 extra large bath towels btw.

As I also said it's not something I'd accept and would be pushing very hard indeed for a fix, refund or swap. John Lewis are one of the better companies to get a solution from.
Is your machine on concrete flooring or sub floor?

The other thing is,I'm kind of eager to find if it is the brands machine,but,if I do get one again,what happens then?

My previous machine was a hot point washer dryer - no major issues apart from a little moving now and again . 2nd machine was same make but just a washer but as previously said it moves a little on full spin but certainly doesn’t walk around the kitchen . If your machine has been fitted in the same place as previous machines and this issue has only recently arose then by process of illumination it has to the machine . Stick to your guns and insist on a solution .

My previous machine was a hot point washer dryer - no major issues apart from a little moving now and again . 2nd machine was same make but just a washer but as previously said it moves a little on full spin but certainly doesn’t walk around the kitchen . If your machine has been fitted in the same place as previous machines and this issue has only recently arose then by process of illumination it has to the machine . Stick to your guns and insist on a solution .
Can you define moves a little? As I said before my previouse machine had noissuescof moving at all

Is your machine on concrete flooring or sub floor?
It's on floating laminate flooring over 8mm compressed underlay sheets on a concrete floor.
If your previous machine was stable and this one isn't then it's the machine at fault, assuming they''re of similar quality. The Miele we had was far better built than it's J.L. replacement but then it was twice the price.

I worked for a company that made industrial washing machines many years ago. They took 750lb of washing, and you could stand up in the drum and stretch your arms out and up. They had an automated balancing system whereby water was pumped in varying amounts to pockets in the drum during the spin cycle. Worked very well, and I've often wondered why it's never been scaled down for use in domestic appliances. One more thing to go wrong, I suppose, and more expensive than a big lump of concrete..

It's on floating laminate flooring over 8mm compressed underlay sheets on a concrete floor.
If your previous machine was stable and this one isn't then it's the machine at fault, assuming they''re of similar quality. The Miele we had was far better built than it's J.L. replacement but then it was twice the price.
Ok,my previous machine was a Bosch classix 7kg,and this one is a Bosch serie 6 9kg i-dos! And as I said before,i never had any movement in it like this one!

Ok,my previous machine was a Bosch classix 7kg,and this one is a Bosch serie 6 9kg i-dos! And as I said before,i never had any movement in it like this one!
We have the same machine as you Niall and it's somewhere between six and twelve months old. Before this we had a Miele. The Miele needed to be replaced as the drum spider corroded and it wasn't worth repairing.

Both machines have sat on a tiled floor, we think on a concrete sub base with underfloor heating pipes. Both machines have been rock solid, no movement and quiet. Ignoring the time when the Miele was dying, the Bosch is, if anything, much quieter than the Miele (which was at least ten years old when it died). Within reason we can stuff as much or as little as we like in the Bosch - certainly, anything from just my road cycle gear through to quite heavy weighted mixed loads.

In terms of set up, they were just placed on the floor and levelled (we moved here 18 months ago so the Miele has moved too) and have been fine. Neither moved an inch - except when the Miele went south and died!

We have the same machine as you Niall and it's somewhere between six and twelve months old. Before this we had a Miele. The Miele needed to be replaced as the drum spider corroded and it wasn't worth repairing.

Both machines have sat on a tiled floor, we think on a concrete sub base with underfloor heating pipes. Both machines have been rock solid, no movement and quiet. Ignoring the time when the Miele was dying, the Bosch is, if anything, much quieter than the Miele (which was at least ten years old when it died). Within reason we can stuff as much or as little as we like in the Bosch - certainly, anything from just my road cycle gear through to quite heavy weighted mixed loads.

In terms of set up, they were just placed on the floor and levelled (we moved here 18 months ago so the Miele has moved too) and have been fine. Neither moved an inch - except when the Miele went south and died!
So,you got no movement during the phase where it is slowly transitioning from slow speed to full speed? Full spped is not the problem for me.

Samsung eco bubble here. It has a system where it spins slowly initially but won't speed up if the load is unbalanced. Two or three towels just bundle up on one side of the drum and prevent it spinning. Put in five or six and it's fine.

Samsung eco bubble here. It has a system where it spins slowly initially but won't speed up if the load is unbalanced. Two or three towels just bundle up on one side of the drum and prevent it spinning. Put in five or six and it's fine.
So,it just pauses until you re arrange the items?

Just quickly read this the thread so apologies for possibly repeating other posts.
Seems to me that the problem has got worse over the years as drum speeds increased as you might expect. The occasional unbalanced loads becoming more common. As a lot have said, levelling up the machine is critical. I have resorted to putting a blob of silicon under the front two pads. Not a good idea if on loose laid vinyl but otherwise can be an effective fix. ( make sure it's cut away before calling an engineer tho!)

It's not unknown for the drum to be out of balance Niall. Have you tried spinning empty to see if any vibration even though it might not move. If it's a new machine within warranty I'd push the issue hard with the supplier / manufacturer as if the engineer can't sort it within 2 visits it probably isn't fit for purpose. If an older matching the possibly bearing wear but the engineer should have found that.

I had an issue with a freezer which the engineer failed to properly fix after 2 tries and I got it refunded and bought a replacement but there was resistance and I had to push hard, including an email to the CEO.
Under the sale of goods act you are covered for 7 years so chances are you are covered. Any problems with the supplier go to the trading standards.

Hi,I know this is off topic,but,does anyone know a way to stop a washing machine moving during the start of a full spin cycle,it's standing on a subfloor,or floating floor?
Could the machine be sited onto a square of ply with a batten around the edge to contain the feet?. Wouldn't be able to move very far then.

Make sure the machine is level , when you load the machine load it evenly . My washer is on laminate flooring laid over concrete and moves a little over several weeks . It’s a pita to level the machine as you often don’t have access to the rear of the machine so you might have to drag it in and out a few times until it’s right. Get the back 2 feet done and then sort the front - visual checks with the edges of adjacent units will help . I use those slippy discs ( magic sliders ) to help with dragging the machine in and out .. good luck
I would like to add here (ex-engineer laundry industry) If the machine has adjustable feet the further out you unscrew them the more the M/C will vibrate and move.

Back