Washing machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me this is going round the houses! I am sure the machine is at fault, you have to assert your rights to a replacement as the item is not fit for purpose. You should not have to put up with that much movements. We have two Hotpoint w/machines and they do dance a bit but not to your level.
The more expensive machines have cast iron weights and the rest concrete.

So,it just pauses until you re arrange the items?
No it juggles to and fro to try and redistribute the load, then tries again. If you try and do it yourself then it all too often juggles them back together again! Maddening when it happens, but we just avoid putting only a couple of towels in. It will try and sort it out a number of times itself, but if it can't then it just stops.

Can’t believe none of you asked if it’s for sale…if my Mrs hears there’s a machine that moves that much she’s sat on it grinning like a Cheshire Cat. 🤣

I screwed a piece of uPVC trim to the floor in front of my Beko washing machine. This prevents it from wandering out of its space. I know it needs new shock absorbers but I have been putting off fitting them because to do so involves taking off the front of the machine to remove the concrete ballast weight!

I would like to add here (ex-engineer laundry industry) If the machine has adjustable feet the further out you unscrew them the more the M/C will vibrate and move.
Thanks,I am aware of that
No it juggles to and fro to try and redistribute the load, then tries again. If you try and do it yourself then it all too often juggles them back together again! Maddening when it happens, but we just avoid putting only a couple of towels in. It will try and sort it out a number of times itself, but if it can't then it just stops.
So,what do you do when it stops,I mean most if not all machineschaveva quick wash for just a few clothes?

Our Melie is around 10yrs old and its just started to move around a little during a spin, never happened before. Our old Melie broke the top off its shock absorber at around 12 yrs, I was impressed to find it was just like a motorcycle shock, very sturdy, I got a chum to reweld the bracket and it was fine until we got rid of it, that led me to wonder if the shock on our present machine was becoming tired,,and maybe you have a faulty shock absorber from new?
Steve.

Seems to me this is going round the houses! I am sure the machine is at fault, you have to assert your rights to a replacement as the item is not fit for purpose. You should not have to put up with that much movements. We have two Hotpoint w/machines and they do dance a bit but not to your level.
The more expensive machines have cast iron weights and the rest concrete.
I believe some now have water. Makes transport a lot easier, as you can empty the ballast.

Usually just put some more stuff in and run it again. Only really happens when the kids just put two towels in, or a bath mat which weighs a ton when it's wet!
In my case ,I have done that but it's worse! The best thing to do would get snother machine and try it to see if it happens again,but,reserve the right to change to another manufacturer if I'm not happy!

Can you define moves a little? As I said before my previouse machine had noissuescof moving at all
Sorry only just spotted this reply -by a little I mean after several washes - a mix of full washes and half loads my machine has moved 2 or 3 inches out of position . This didn’t happen with my previous machine ( washer dryer ) same company ..

I'd get back to customer services as the engineers advice sounds suspect to me. The vast majority of new machines are 9kg minimum dry load. I've just weighed our thick bathroom towels and they weigh in at less than 1.5kg each, so the machine with just these in could easily run out of balance. I then checked John Lewis website on a typical new washer stating 9kg load capacity and it equated this to typically 45 shirts. https://www.johnlewis.com/hoover-h-...-machine-9kg-load-1600rpm-spin-white/p5649919

Colin
Funnily enough the retailer has said that an eu directive has legislated that the concrete bricks be made lighter so the machines can be recycled easier,and thus is why they move, more than those made10 yrs ago!

This is a terrible bodge. Years ago I had a machine that belonged in the scrap but not the money to replace it just yet. Deliberately set the front feet high so it wanted to move back then put a bit of foam between it and the wall. Gave me 6 months extra use.

Agree with all above the retailer should replace it - good luck with that.

Funnily enough the retailer has said that an eu directive has legislated that the concrete bricks be made lighter so the machines can be recycled easier,and thus is why they move, more than those made10 yrs ago!
So we are still bound by e u legislation even though we are no longer part of the e u 🫣🫣🫣

Maybe because the UK market is too small to justify special models. Why didn't Jacob Rees Mogg foresee this?
Maybe it’s that new lighter concrete that’s left so many schools and other buildings unsafe and in danger of falling down . Just read that we could have driverless cars by 2026 - what next teacher less schools , surgeon free hospitals ,pilotless 747,s . Like many other countries we have many issues that we cannot solve but those in power just keep adding new problems and not solving those we already have . ( mini rant over )

When I had a Miele washing machine it had a cast Iron weight not concrete and at that time most of the "high end" brands also used cast Iron. The Miele didn't last any longer than the Hotpoint that replaced it.

We had to buy a new machine about a year ago..new one was banging and crashing about while starting to spin. Concrete slab on top of wooden floor and polystyrene blocks wedging the top against the walls. Previous machine was relatively quiet in same location. Complained to manufacturer and they had me weighing clothes. Videoing it in operation etc... engineer out who changed the door.. still noisy. Finally they replaced the whole machine.. new one just as noisy as the old. Interesting to read about the lighter concrete. :((

Back