Washing machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niall Church

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,I know this is off topic,but,does anyone know a way to stop a washing machine moving during the start of a full spin cycle,it's standing on a subfloor,or floating floor?

Most decent modern machines start slowly to distribute the load before getting up to full speed but in any case it's usually down to an out of balance drum (usually caused by the contents as long as fixings are secure) or more often just properly levelled feet on the floor or the floor itself isn't solid as often happens with a floating floor. My son had a minor issue, laminate on top of concrete and I packed it with some thin hard rubber which sorted it. The back wheels normally aren't adjustable individually which is where his problem originated.

you can get antivibration mats that sit under the machine and dampen the movement, I found some individual foam feet on amazon that claim to do this but they were little more than scraps of mousemat and pretty useless.

Thanks forvthr replies so far,I have had the engineer out twice,thecfirst time he said it was the flooring,AND as we tested it out with three full size bathroom towels,he said ,even wirhout the moving issue I was having, that was the max amount I could put in the machine! It's a 9kg machine! So he was called out again as I wasn't happy still,so he moved it into the kitchen on tiles concrete,and he levveled it,but it still moved just as badly as on the subfloor! Matsxqnd feet have been tried,but make no diffeŕnce so far!

It's not unknown for the drum to be out of balance Niall. Have you tried spinning empty to see if any vibration even though it might not move. If it's a new machine within warranty I'd push the issue hard with the supplier / manufacturer as if the engineer can't sort it within 2 visits it probably isn't fit for purpose. If an older matching the possibly bearing wear but the engineer should have found that.

I had an issue with a freezer which the engineer failed to properly fix after 2 tries and I got it refunded and bought a replacement but there was resistance and I had to push hard, including an email to the CEO.

Make sure the machine is level , when you load the machine load it evenly . My washer is on laminate flooring laid over concrete and moves a little over several weeks . It’s a pita to level the machine as you often don’t have access to the rear of the machine so you might have to drag it in and out a few times until it’s right. Get the back 2 feet done and then sort the front - visual checks with the edges of adjacent units will help . I use those slippy discs ( magic sliders ) to help with dragging the machine in and out .. good luck

Make sure the machine is level , when you load the machine load it evenly . My washer is on laminate flooring laid over concrete and moves a little over several weeks . It’s a pita to level the machine as you often don’t have access to the rear of the machine so you might have to drag it in and out a few times until it’s right. Get the back 2 feet done and then sort the front - visual checks with the edges of adjacent units will help . I use those slippy discs ( magic sliders ) to help with dragging the machine in and out .. good luck
That's exactly where mine is situated hard to get rear feet,but I have levelled it and enigineer levelled,but it still moved! I could tell you the brand, it's very well known,but,don't know if it's allowed on here!

It's quite new about a year, with 5 yrs warranty parts and labour, drum was spun no issues there,it's driving me mad!

have you tried running the machine empty , I’ve put the movement and noise ( in full spin ) down to the laminate laid on those fibre type mats over concrete . Edit - on my machine … It’s trial and error I’m afraid until you get it right . Try to see if the machine rocks in any direction as a guide to levelling .

have you tried running the machine empty , I’ve put the movement and noise ( in full spin ) down to the laminate laid on those fibre type mats over concrete . Edit - on my machine … It’s trial and error I’m afraid until you get it right . Try to see if the machine rocks in any direction as a guide to levelling .
Yes it runs fine unloaded,but,that's no good to me!

Has anyone checked to see if the balance weights are done up tight.

That's those chunks of concrete or occasionally metal bolted to the drum.

Just because it's new don't assume they are tight.

I also assume the transit bolts and straps have been removed.

Has anyone checked to see if the balance weights are done up tight.

That's those chunks of concrete or occasionally metal bolted to the drum.

Just because it's new don't assume they are tight.

I also assume the transit bolts and straps have been removed.
He engineer was here and he checked that and transport bolts were removed!

My elderly uncle was a production manager with GEC and later principal buyer of white goods for Littlewoods the catalogue company. One of the items he was responsible for was washing machines. The biggest problem they had with them was underloading and drums running out of balance, and s such them walking.

Colin

My elderly uncle was a production manager with GEC and later principal buyer of white goods for Littlewoods the catalogue company. One of the items he was responsible for was washing machines. The biggest problem they had with them was underloading and drums running out of balance, and s such them walking.

Colin
Well the engineer who saw my machine said 3 bathroom.towels were the max that could be loaded!

I'd get back to customer services as the engineers advice sounds suspect to me. The vast majority of new machines are 9kg minimum dry load. I've just weighed our thick bathroom towels and they weigh in at less than 1.5kg each, so the machine with just these in could easily run out of balance. I then checked John Lewis website on a typical new washer stating 9kg load capacity and it equated this to typically 45 shirts. https://www.johnlewis.com/hoover-h-...-machine-9kg-load-1600rpm-spin-white/p5649919

Colin

We had exactly the same thing. Our machine has two adjustable front feet and I would level these, but the vibration when spinning would cause it to go out of level and the machine would then dance around the room. I solved it by taking the feet off and adding a nylon lock nut to each and using that to screw snuggly against the machine. Ever since it has been perfect

Sean

Well the engineer who saw my machine said 3 bathroom.towels were the max that could be loaded!
Don't forget that 3 bath towels get very heavy when soaking wet and if they start all in a heap at the bottom of drum then it is bound to be unbalanced at least to start with, I think some machines now "jiggle"the washing about to balance the load.

Don't forget that 3 bath towels get very heavy when soaking wet and if they start all in a heap at the bottom of drum then it is bound to be unbalanced at least to start with, I think some machines now "jiggle"the washing about to balance the load.
Yes, I understand that,but,I have had a washing machine placed in the same spot before with no issues,never had an issues with it,had it for 12 yrs!

Back