Lidl power tools this week.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Went down to my local store this morning. I looked at the Japanese saw, it felt very nice in the hand, comfortable and sturdy handle and from what I could see of the teeth it was fine cross cut and a coarse rip/universal style on the other side. I really do not have a use for this kind of handsaw though as I have several handsaws including japanese style already.

What I went for was the jigsaw. I have an old B&D that is really on it's last legs now and it uses an older style of straight shank blade that is harder to find. It's also only 400W and struggles on thicker material. Over the last couple of years I have collected a few t-shank style blades from promotions, giveaways etc so I thought it was time to buy a jigsaw to use them in.

First impressions, much bigger than it looks in the pictures, pretty heavy too. Comes in a nice case (pipper to get it all back in neat though). Packed with features that I would only expect to see on a much more expensive saw and certainly a lot more than my basic old B&D. Speed control is nice, goes VERY slow if you need to, I suspect it will be excellent for cutting sheet metal and plastics, on full speeds it really goes for it. It is noisy at the high speeds buts sounds smooth, the action looks good and the blade change works well too once you get the hang of it. I personally would prefer a momentary switch with lock as my old B&D had but this is not a big deal.
All in a all superb value for money and what seems to be a well built machine, pretty much as I expected based on my other parkside tools. Look forward to testing it out in anger.

Now what to do with the old B&D? I still have a couple of packs of blades left, maybe I'll see if I can donate it to a friend or just hang on to it as a back up?

Hold one in each hand, extend arms,switch on, pretend you are a jet fighter.

Rorschach":25gvvxl8 said:
First impressions, much bigger than it looks in the pictures, pretty heavy too. Comes in a nice case (pipper to get it all back in neat though). Packed with features that I would only expect to see on a much more expensive saw and certainly a lot more than my basic old B&D. Speed control is nice, goes VERY slow if you need to, I suspect it will be excellent for cutting sheet metal and plastics, on full speeds it really goes for it. It is noisy at the high speeds buts sounds smooth, the action looks good and the blade change works well too once you get the hang of it. I personally would prefer a momentary switch with lock as my old B&D had but this is not a big deal.
All in a all superb value for money and what seems to be a well built machine, pretty much as I expected based on my other parkside tools. Look forward to testing it out in anger.

I went down for the jigsaw too. I didn't buy it though, it looked too big and clunky to me, difficult to wrap your hand around (maybe I have small hands? :) ).

transatlantic":2hswatun said:
Rorschach":2hswatun said:

I went down for the jigsaw too. I didn't buy it though, it looked too big and clunky to me, difficult to wrap your hand around (maybe I have small hands? :) ).

I have small hands, and this is more difficult to get my hands around then my old d-handle jigsaw but the grip is rubberised so I don't think it will be a problem, a jigsaw is not really held in a same manner as a circ saw, you are guiding it more than gripping it.

Rorschach":2p8jgooo said:
transatlantic":2p8jgooo said:
Rorschach":2p8jgooo said:

I have small hands, and this is more difficult to get my hands around then my old d-handle jigsaw but the grip is rubberised so I don't think it will be a problem, a jigsaw is not really held in a same manner as a circ saw, you are guiding it more than gripping it.

Sure, but a jigsaw has a lot of vibration which is easy to manage when you have a good grip, but I could be completly wrong, and in practice, it might be a great tool.

I haven't actually seen/held in person any of the other brands such as bosch or festool versions of the same style. Maybe they're all that big?

Picked up the cross line laser this morning to add to my collection of parkside tools and am very impressed with it.

I got the Japanese saw today. It has a removable blade, which tended to remove itself when in use, not good.

A dab of 2-part epoxy and it's a damn nice little saw.

Does anyone have any opinions on the little diamond files? They seem cheap but I can't really tell what the quality might be like.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of the diamond files they've sold in recent years as the patch of diamond coating seems very mean. That said I'm sure the quality is fine, but I prefer diamond files to have nearly the full length of the business end coated so that they much more closely match a conventional needle file.

Got the diamond files over the weekend, but haven't had a chance to try them yet. They do seem to have only a portion of the face covered in the diamonds though, like ED65 said.

NazNomad":2nly6men said:
I got the Japanese saw today. It has a removable blade, which tended to remove itself when in use, not good.

A dab of 2-part epoxy and it's a damn nice little saw.

I bought the Japanese saw and think it is terrible. One side seems to cut on the push not the pull, both sides are painfully slow. I got the little jap saw from lidl months ago and thought it was ok but wish I hadn't bothered with the big one. Didn't cost much and I could do with some new scrappers,
Paddy

The Lidl saw is okish for the odd flush trim job on a dowel etc. Different thing though to even a cheap £15-20 'proper' Ice Bear Japanese saw.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

I should have added that I was comparing it to the rather dire collection of saws I currently own. :-D

that Aldi 10.8v is near identical to the bosch 10.8v tools, it looks like the batteries would be compatible.

Back