Hello newbie here, timber frame log store project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
richard56":1dmmwnaq said:
How is it going?
I hope all is well
Rich

Thanks for you concern Rich. :)

I had a couple of days out as I had to prepare for a meeting with the "headmistress" at work :cry: , and definitely had to have a good "lie down". after that. Am hoping to drill the holes for the pegs today and then see how far I get with the rear frame.

Once again, thanks for asking. :D

Ross

devonwoody":24fl3ksx said:
And how many mistresses do you have? :wink:

Shhh, shhh, the missus's sitting next to me on the sofa :lol:

The only one she knows about is the motorbike :D

I've drilled some holes (hammer) , so normal service will resume in a few minutes. I hope you're sitting comfortably.

Hello again chappies and chappesses. After a small delay, I have been back out in the “workshop” playing havoc to some “ex trees” (this tree’s not dead, he’s merely having a rest”).

This morning’s task was to drill some holes on the mortice wotsits for when I peg the thing together. The first thing I did was make a cuppa and sit down to think about it, this is the hardest bit of the job. Any chippies here will know that you usually get shouted at when doing this hardest part of the job.

The mortices are “blind/stopped?”, well they don’t come out the other side of the wood (that’s the theory at least!). And When pegging joints I think there’s the chance that when “tightened up”, you can pull the end grain out of the tenon, or tear the grain sideways out of either side of the hol…mortice. I decided that I’d put the hole through halfway down the tenon, which means it’ll be nearer the “join” side of the timber that the mortice is in. I believe in large oak buildings, that the peg-holes can be a lot closer to the join, though someone who knows what they’re doing can chip in to clarify that. Here’s me measuring the length of the tenon;

You can see I’m using proper measurements here, very easy to “halve” for the position of the hole, (some Frenchman’s scribbled some nonsense on the other side of this rule!). Then I’m marking the “halved” distance on the side of the mortice piece;

To get the position of the hole right, I’ve marked the end of a tenon at its midpoint to use as a template;

Once I’d marked all the “right angle” mortice and tenons, It was time to make some chips ‘n’ dust. The joints for the angle braces are going to need at least one more cup of tea to think about. I was going to try out the spare chuck on the morticer to see how well it works out as a bench drill. This is the spare chuck and what they call a taper drift (I still call something else a taper-drift so I’ll call this the bit-of-metal-stick-wot-the-chuck-goes-on );

This is “tapped together” with a stick, remembering to retract the jaws on the chuck so as not to damage them, then I stuck it up into the chuck wot is inside the morticer;

This is where I realised you need to take the holdy-down-the-wood-footy-thing off the fence, otherwise the chuck would hit it. Then I realised my drill was a bit long and I had little clearance for the wood to fit under it!

So I had to turf Mr Makita out of his “caravan” and rummaged around to see if I had a shorter one hanging around in there. Now for a couple of piccies to add to my review of the morticer:

Handy thingy for holding on to the chuck key (wish they had one for the Allen Key!);

Any foundry-men/women will like to see the quality of the castings;

I do believe that’s been gravel-cast, not sand-cast! This is the clearance I got with 2” timber, and a bit of batten, with an 8mm drill stuffed as far up Jacob’s chuck as I could get it!

A bit tight, but hey ho! I put a bit of batten under the timber to save the “foot-plate” of the machine (that’s what they called it) and wedged a spare bit of wood into the mortice, that I had cut off the side of a tenon (ooh what a cheek sir!), hopefully this would prevent the drill tearing out the wood on its way through;

Now all I needed to do was connect up the smoke to the motor, BBRRR GRRR WHIZZ and Hey Presto (I think Safeway became Morrisons after that) holes in wood;

The next bit was doing the holes for the brace mortices. I’m telling you, this took at least three cuppas to work out! As the tenons on the mortices were at all sorts of angles, I knew the hole shouldn’t be halfway along the side of the mortices, but nearer one end, otherwise it would be somewhere stupid in the tenon. So I thought it better to put it on the mid-line of the tenon;

Once I’d seen it there I put this on the top of the timber with the mortice in it;

….and this helped me how to work out how to mark it out. I squared up from the mid-line of the mortice;

And then used the 45degree wotsit on the “American Carpenters Square”, to mark along in the direction that the brace would come in at. Here you can see where the hole’s to be drilled, much closer to one end of the mortice than you might think. (the edges of the mortice are marked “square” across the timbers here);

PS. If you’re thinking of using a “clicky” modern propelling pencil for marking wood, like I’m doing, don’t. Get a proper pencil instead!

WHIZZ BRRR OUCH! Job done;

I’m just gonna have some lunch and then work out how to do the holes in the tenons, this’ll be a three cuppa job at the very least!

Here I am, back again (like the proverbial penny).

I had considered drilling the tenons the proper way, by sticking them in the mortices, marking down through the holes in the mortices and then drilling slightly off-set toward the tenon “shoulder”. This would tighten the joint up. However, I really couldn’t be a***d so I did it a bit bodgy and quick(ish).

First job was to re-assemble the frame, level and check for flat and square, whilst applying the bits of string to tighten it all up;

For the life of me I couldn’t get it to square up… I’m not sure why, possibly mis-cut tenon shoulders, or sideways-gravity, or the braces the wrong way round. But no matter how much bashing with a mallet, it was still off-square, I even swapped the braces around, but no luck. If I loosened the stringy things (two boat-builder friends have informed me that these are “Spanish Windlasses”, however, as these are bearded boat-builders [We used to call ‘em pirates in my day!] I couldn’t guarantee they’d know the difference between windlass and cutlass, particularly when some Pussers has been drunk!) it was all too loose so I had to get some powerful thinking drink out;

This is the only recourse when the tea has failed to work! A glug or two of Girrrrder juice later and BINGO! Another Spanish Windless! As I’d run out of nylon string I had to find summat else, so;

A bit of electric string! It’ll make the electrons giddy next time I hoover the lawn, but you can’t have everything. I tightened the long diagonal till the job was square;

The joints sort of looked as tight as they’d go so, “re-introdusing….Daa Da Daa Da Da….Mr Makita he very Tough….Mr Makita he very Strong…Mr Makita give him one charge….And he will work the whole day Long…Daa Da Daaa”.

(If anyone’s wondering whether I am paid for any endorsements, no I am not! However I am open to any offers!). As I said I quite like this drill, even if the headlights are pointless. One good thing I like is that he stands on his own foot quite easily;

I drilled through the mortice holes and then realised I should have come through from the front face, tearing any wood on the non-to-be-looked-at side. The pre-drilled holes seemed to be good enough to guide the drill through straight(ish). Once all the holes had been done I started cutting and sharpening the pegs;

These I made 2 ½” long (okay, everyone but the first, wot was a tad too short), then I bashed ‘em through with the hitting-stick, using a proper wooden carpenter’s hitting-stick and not a “Birmingham Screwdriver”. Et Violet (as the gardeners say in France);

Once again I came in the wrong way round (hit em in from the front, not the back you plo***r!), tearing a bit more wood out the “pretty side”;

Still, nuffink a damp rag and a 700Watt planer can’t sort out. So, up to a point, frame number 1 is done;

All I’ve got to do now is; frame two (I’ll see if I can do that properly), tie them together, floor it and bung a roof on, can’t take long surely?

Remember that tight lap-joint (Yes M’Lud, I was proceeding in a Northerly direction past the “Double-mint Hippo….)? Well, I done an’ split me lower beam!!!;

Nothing a bit of glue and cramps can’t sort, but I was well pleased with that joint too. I think the joints don’t need to be as tight as I’ve made them, not with all the fitting and re-fitting I’m doing and the bashing with the stick!!

You've earned another glug of IrnBru (hammer)

I've read recently that loose joints with plenty of glue are stronger than tight joints where you have difficulty in getting much glue in.

Regards Keith

The Eriba Turner":1siwdai0 said:
You've earned another glug of IrnBru (hammer)

I've read recently that loose joints with plenty of glue are stronger than tight joints where you have difficulty in getting much glue in.

Regards Keith

Thanks Keith. I seem to remember the "tight joint" method being taught to me, but that would explain a lot. I've tried to glue up a stripped pine door in our house, where the rails are slipping out of the stiles, to no avail.

Ross

Paul Chapman":3tkbj83p said:
And where was the apprentice while all this was going on? Not taken another day off sick, has he?

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Ah, strangely enough, following your earlier advice :D , he did a runner when I got the glue bottle out! :lol:

Please give more advice :)

Excellent work.

I must say your not inspiring me to go and get my morticer out of its box :) in fact when it does see the light of day I might re-purpose it.

Didn't know they still made Irn Bru, a blast from the past no less.

No skills":xqpq32f7 said:
Excellent work.

I must say your not inspiring me to go and get my morticer out of its box :) in fact when it does see the light of day I might re-purpose it.

Didn't know they still made Irn Bru, a blast from the past no less.

Apparently Irn Bru is very big in ex-communist countries, Russia, Scotland......... :twisted:

Although there's a few things to niggle about with the morticer, it is doing the job, and with use, it's easing up. I don't think it's at all bad for the money. Be wary of its limitations and it could serve well.

Hello dearly beloved. Been out in the “workshop” again. I was a bit concerned that my pace has been a bit slow, so I did a wee “time and motion study”. Now that I don’t have to do as much thinking as when making the first frame, cos I did it then. For the second frame I’ve decided to do a bit more work between cups of tea, so now for every cuppa I’ll cut two or more joints instead of one!

Firstly, following the handy tip from Andy T I’m going to mark up the timbers cramped together, squaring the ends up;

Marking across, using frame one for positions;

Marking back from the other ends, using the shortest timber to set the “height of the frame;

“Uh Oh”. Look who’s turned up, it’s the apprentice again, he’s been lying low most of the week. He asked if he could come to the pub Sunday night, as he knew the dark haired girl who’s just moved in next door was going to be there. I think he had too many shandies! Here he was asking me where all the hob-nobs have gone? “you scoffed em all last week ya little Nerk!” said I in my usual polite style. “Well you’d better buy some more granddad” says he. So I told him to get a shopping bag and I’d give him a couple of quid for some more.

We’ve had to get him his own bag, as he always leaves ours down the Co-op;

“An’ I want you to come straight back, no blinking dawdling!” As I’ve said before, you trades-people know just what they’re like!

Here’s the long bits cramped up and being marked out;

Here’s me cutting three tenon shoulders in one go, told you I’d done a time and motion study!;

And this shows you how blinking hard the morticer gets stuck in the wood;

Any way time to get on, TTFN!

Well then, looks like the time and motion’s worked. Now have two frames in the “workshop”;

Took a number of shortcuts and I think I’m getting some idea about tenons and stuff. First frame took 6 days, this one 1 day.

The b****y apprentice got back from the Co-op; six sausage rolls and a packet of cheese in the bag, no blinking hob-nobs. “Sold out innit!” says he through a mouthful of crumbs!!!!

RossJarvis":1pp70rt2 said:
The b****y apprentice got back from the Co-op; six sausage rolls and a packet of cheese in the bag, no blinking hob-nobs. “Sold out innit!” says he through a mouthful of crumbs!!!!

He's a bit of a chancer if you ask me........

Paul

I think you should bin that morticer and get one of those Festival Dummyno's. Not tried one myself but I've been told you just point it at the two bits of timber you want to join and it does the rest. Sposed to be pricey tho, might have to sell your house.

Screws are of course another option.

No skills":3pnr9clv said:
I think you should bin that morticer and get one of those Festival Dummyno's. Not tried one myself but I've been told you just point it at the two bits of timber you want to join and it does the rest. Sposed to be pricey tho, might have to sell your house.

Screws are of course another option.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Screws are brilliant, bash 'em in with an 'ammer, take 'em out with a screwdriver. Had considered a biscuiter, but the apprentice would scoff the lot!!

Dunno about the Dummyno's, I can never get the dots to match up.

Cheers No skills

Mornin’ all. Anyone out there? Remember to say hello every now an’ again, it’s a bit lonely out in t’ workshop, and the apprentice don’t talk much.

This morning I thought it about time to do something to hold the frames together, so “ZZd ZZe ZZD ZZe, Ouch, B****r” and before you knew it I’d made these;

…..And had some old scrap left over;

The idea is to have some wood under the floor (joists?) to hold the floor down, plus some wood up the sides (tie beams?) to hold the back to the front. If you look carefully at the picture above, you can see I’ve carefully cut some tenons vertical and some horizontal, near did me back in lying on the floor cutting the horizontal ones!

I clamped the timbers together in fours, (cheers AndyT!) and marked them out together in the hope they’d all be the same length after attacking with a saw. I put an arrow on to help me remember which way round they were and which face was out, or up (mind you I’m blowed if I can remember which way it’s supposed to point now, I’ll have to revert to writing instructions to me’sen);

Then I tried cutting four tenon shoulders together;

Realised the little saw wasn’t up to it so got a bigger saw;

Then realised it really was going to go t**s up at sometime, so decided to cut the rest one at a time. Not sure about this modern industrialised assembly line lark, don’t think it’ll catch on. Then the apprentice popped out for a nose around, decided to “pressure-treat” the wood pile and you just won’t believe what he did on the green carpet at the end of the workshop!!!

Took about three hours of hard tea-break to do that little lot! I’ve got even more efficient, one cup of tea lasts about two beams now.

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Welcome to the Astoria, before the main feature we will have a quick word from our sponsors………Gladys, why are you running around shouting “Minorcas, Minorcas” Minorca is singular, it’s Balearic which is plural. Oh I see. Oi you lot in the back row, I told you last week….”

If you’re interested in timber-framing the old fashioned way, I did a course at the Weald and Downland museum, it weren’t cheap for five days, but was a brilliant time. There were blokes of all different ages and backgrounds (ladies are welcome too!) and it was great working together and getting to know each other, as well as learning how to hurt yourself on a b****y great chisel or two. I don’t know if these courses are still running, but ours was led by a chappie called Joe Thompson, you couldn’t hope to meet a nicer chap. (as I’ve said before, I’m not affiliated to or paid for these plugs, but I am still open to any offers).

“We will now be starting tonight’s main feature please take your seats…..I meant sit down! not take the flippin’ things out the fire exit….”

RossJarvis":1a605z5q said:
Then the apprentice popped out for a nose around, decided to “pressure-treat” the wood pile and you just won’t believe what he did on the green carpet at the end of the workshop!!!

He's taking the p*ss now :shock:

Paul

Latest posts

Back