Hello newbie here, timber frame log store project

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RossJarvis":hsh4qb0f said:
The Eriba Turner":hsh4qb0f said:
Well done Ross and thanks for the entertainment.Maybe think about marketing them as flat-pack and take on IKEA!
Regards Keith

Keith, I think if I wasn't paid for my labour, and gave most of the wood free and only charged for the nails, I might meet their price target :lol:

Now if I could get some bespoke type customers, such as Tory MPs, we might be cooking on gas (hammer)

I hope there is someone reading this who can give you some clues as to how you can do this.
I have read many times quality sells. Also build it and they will come.
Except if you have my luck.
Keep at it, this time next year who knows. You could be richer than a Tory MP.
Or overrun with log stores.
But at least you will be enjoying yourself.

All the best

Rich

richard56":2uu7btbc said:
I hope there is someone reading this who can give you some clues as to how you can do this.
I have read many times quality sells. Also build it and they will come.
Except if you have my luck.
Keep at it, this time next year who knows. You could be richer than a Tory MP.
Or overrun with log stores.
But at least you will be enjoying yourself.

All the best

Rich

Thanks Rich. I must admit the thought has crossed my mind a good few times, I had seriously considered high quality, traditionally build dog-houses for the seriously pampered pet :idea: Though, as I do this for enjoyment, I'd want to do something new each time. I've found in the past if you enjoy something in your spare time and then do it for a living, it turns into work. I've always ended up hating work :cry: I probably have the same type of luck as you. I'm also a poor salesman.

But I've not given up on the idea of working with my hands in wood for money. (I currently work with my hands and mouth in metal, and the splinters there ruin your motorbike petrol tank if you have a magnetic tank bag! #-o )

Pleased to see you got it finished. It's been good fun :)

Looking forward to the next project and the further adventures of the apprentice....... :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":212ltyjr said:
Pleased to see you got it finished. It's been good fun :)

Looking forward to the next project and the further adventures of the apprentice....... :lol:

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for your support and kind comments :D , The apprentice also sends his appreciation, though he says he prefers cheese!

I've enjoyed reading your excursion into your workshop. I kept wondering at what point some nails were going to arrive in the process :lol:

It was fun reading - thanks Ross :)

Flynnwood":3b18l6l3 said:
I've enjoyed reading your excursion into your workshop. I kept wondering at what point some nails were going to arrive in the process :lol:

It was fun reading - thanks Ross :)

Cheers Flynwood. I believe nails are a traditional product so I'm happy with them, Ideally I'd have avoided the screws but, hey ho, no-one'll see them with a cursory glance at least.

And finally, all in place and wood delivered during a deluge and stacked;

It doesn't look too level with the fence but that can wait, particularly with 1/2 ton of ash in it!

(If anyone from Scandinavia is curious, that, apparently, is supposed to be about half a winter's worth of burning wood for our climate. I'd probably use that a lot quicker myself!).

I received a “gift” following the build;

…and jolly pleased with them I am too. Wish I had these when cutting all those tenons! I’ve started making a couple of low Japanese saw stools to go with them (the idea was to use some 4x2 but I only had scraps of 2x2, which are glued together);

….and got some shelving board to make a Japanese style “tool-box”;

The plan after that is to have a go at making some fiendishly complicated joints from a couple of books I’ve got on Japanese carpentry and Joinery. I’ve got a couple of bits of oak which have been “seasoning” for a few years in the out-house. These’ll need cutting square and planing. (I’m sure I’ll ‘need’ to buy a couple of Japanese hardwood saws for that!!).

No skills":370fal9a said:
A well presented article, cant wait for the next project.

Ref the complex joinery, check out from 5.16 onwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZ4pcEG1jqI

Thanks no-skills :D Nice little vid. I'm thinking of doing the "goose-neck" joint at about 9:30 on that one. Those fiendish hidden tenon mitre joints need a long run-up I think. Though using the morticed does look like a good idea to save time and up-puffins.

Thoroughly enjoyable to read and I think the end product looks sturdy and Workmanlike (is that near Heckmondwike?). Your neighbour is very lucky. I look forward to your next WIP.

Noggsy":34hht4v3 said:
Thoroughly enjoyable to read and I think the end product looks sturdy and Workmanlike (is that near Heckmondwike?). Your neighbour is very lucky. I look forward to your next WIP.

:D :D :D

No, you're thinking of Worksop or Workington, I'm sure they're both near Slough, (or is it Glasgow?).

thanks Noggsy

Ross

Latest posts

Back