You've probably signed up for PPI cold calls.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. As ebay and paypal will soon be separate companies, will ebay have to diversify their payment options to avoid anti-competetive actions ?

A spokesperson for PayPal told Express.co.uk: "This is related to the U.S. amendments to the PayPal U.S. User Agreement, Privacy Policy and Acceptable Use Policy.

"This does not apply in the UK. However, in either region, PayPal will honour any customers’ requests to decline to receive marketing outreach over the phone, SMS or email.

"Privacy is central to the trusted relationship we have with our customers and we take this very seriously."

Gerry

Doug B":2o3k8e4m said:
There isn't enough fruit for me to express in words the complete contempt I hold Paypal
Why is that? I find it very useful both as a seller and a buyer.

RogerP":1n4x2zq6 said:
Doug B":1n4x2zq6 said:
There isn't enough fruit for me to express in words the complete contempt I hold Paypal
Why is that? I find it very useful both as a seller and a buyer.

Sadly that has not been my experience of using their services Roger, hopefully the separation will open more options for paying on EBay then I might consider using it again.

Yes, it will interesting to see if eBay remove the requirement for sellers to offer PayPal.

In the meanwhile if there's something on eBay you really want just ask the seller if you can pay another way. Most good sellers will offer a range of payment options. I'll accept any trustworthy method - bank transfer, PO, cheque and of course cash on collection. But 99.99% of buyers choose to use PayPal. I wish they would one of the other way as PayPal charge me 4% :(

The latest delight of PayPal (according to a financial services advice email I get) is that, if you inadvertently use it as an intermediary in a credit card payment, for example if a retailer uses PayPal in lieu of a card service provider over the counter, or your credit card payment is 'taken' via PayPal over the 'phone, you lose the usual credit card transaction protection - no cooling off period, etc.

PayPal is not a bank nor a card payment service provider (in the UK legal sense), although I'd guess it would like you to believe that it's both of those things.

Eric The Viking":cjcbureq said:
The latest delight of PayPal (according to a financial services advice email I get) is that, if you inadvertently use it as an intermediary in a credit card payment, for example if a retailer uses PayPal in lieu of a card service provider over the counter, or your credit card payment is 'taken' via PayPal over the 'phone, you lose the usual credit card transaction protection - no cooling off period, etc.

PayPal is not a bank nor a card payment service provider (in the UK legal sense), although I'd guess it would like you to believe that it's both of those things.

Now that I did not know, and is something to consider when making larger purchases

Droogs":wtduofai said:
Eric The Viking":wtduofai said:

Now that I did not know, and is something to consider when making larger purchases

How does that affect the PayPal Money Back Guarantee thingy? I was under the impression they offered the same sort of protection as a credit card. At least that's how the blurb has always come across :?

MMUK":2xd16nd8 said:
Droogs":2xd16nd8 said:
How does that affect the PayPal Money Back Guarantee thingy? I was under the impression they offered the same sort of protection as a credit card. At least that's how the blurb has always come across :?
I've only had one occasion to complain when something never arrived. The process with PayPal was simple and I was refunded very quickly.

Paypal is quick and easy to use....until you sell something at a fairly high value and want your money out of their system!! I sold a BMW motorbike to a chap from Germany some time ago and being a regular user of paypal (only for buying up until that point) I trusted them with the financial side of things. After the sale was complete I tried to take my money from paypal to my bank account, to cut a long story short it took me 3 weeks, lots of documents and phone calls to verify my bank account....the bank account I had been using for about 6 years to make payments with!! Never ever ever again will I accept a largish amount of money via paypal!!!

I think that's PayPal's money laundering blocker panicking and kicking in.

I had it once, a long time ago, but never since. It's probably a one off check the first time a user takes a largish amount.

Back