Your Disasters ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

santiniuk

Established Member
Reaction score
As I'm still on the learning slope, I have made a fair few pigs ears :lol:

But what about the experienced turners on here. Any disaster moments you would rather forget about. Not just small blunders, but items you have spent a good bit of time and effort on.

I hope this doesn't hit a nerve..... But have you ever spent ages turning or finishing and then ended up with firewood ?

Lets hear those horror moments.

:)

Hollow forms !

Have had a couple of goes at making one - both times,have ended up with a two-piece jigsaw.. :(

Andrew

Don't really class myself as an experienced turner but if I were to go along with Mrs's signature (if we learn by our mistakes.......) I should be an expert. I'd love to say that it mainly happend when I started turning but I suspect it is something that will always happen. Unless it is a matter of total destruction it usually goes on a shelf until inspiration strikes and I can 'redesign' it :cry:

This one will perhaps be carved eventually.

Pete

Yep!

Was watching a demo by Tracy Owen on hollowing at a club meet a few years ago. Getting to the end of the period he had a part finished hollow vessel, and asked if anyone wanted to finish it.

You guessed it, I was there, "I'll finish that, no problem!". Took it home and was supposed to take it back finished at the next meeting.

Took it back alright, in two large eggcup shaped forms. I went straight through the side. Tend to keep my big gob shut these days. :lol:

No disasters or problems just redesign opportunities. :wink:

For instance this

Was supposed to be another one of these

until I cut the neck too thin :oops: still it made a nice little egg pot. :D

john

Hi , only had one so far :wink:

Put a bowl in my Cole jaws to turn out some very small marks from my chuck jaws , had the lathe speed at 500 rpm , thought , NO NEED FOR THE MASK , next thing , the bowl hits me in the face on its way to the roof :shock: lands on the floor , smashed , ends up in the bin :oops:

:)

Some good old chuckles to the stories there. Good stuff.

I think Tam's tale is extremely 'funny'.. I can just imagine how I would feel.

The phrase "No disasters or problems just redesign opportunities" is definately one I will have to remember, it will make me feel better on my next blunder.

I reckon any turner who claims not to have had a 'nearly finished' total disaster is probably being economical with the truth. At craft fairs, people often ask me what I do when disaster strikes this way and I answer, truthfully, that I swear a lot. I just don't tell them the words I use!

What really hurts is their quiet assumption that I have these cock-ups. How do they know??

Bob

Bob Chapman":2khhdjxm said:
What really hurts is their quiet assumption that I have these cock-ups. How do they know??
Bob

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's a bit like marking out the guy who is waxing lyrical about thin turned or other intricate pieces on his club stand and asking him what he thinks of the heavy minimal detail 'Art form' pieces on the stand.

The moment he steps to one side to answer you, you know what he is about to say, it's all part of the inbuilt pleasure and understanding between turners that comes with the craft.

Back