You guys don't seem that excited...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Delighted to see the GB mens football out, on penalties too :lol: :lol:
After being given a serious run-around by Senegal, a just and pleasing result.
Allows the attention to focus where it has been very justly earned.

p.s. and Sheffield just copped another gold...

Wildman":14fl0ps2 said:
Excited about damn sport taking over every blooming channel on the TV. Chuffed to bits me, when is it all over

OH is watching a few events, but I'm trying not to :lol: There has been a lot of publicity about the money all the atheletes and visitors will spend but I did note that some of the larger retailers in London were saying that it has not happened, Oxford Street and Knighsbridge are quieter than normal for this time of year. Overall I expect there to be a negative on the money side meaning that we the tax payers will be coughing up as usual, there maybe some long term benefits if the UK in general and London in particular are better known around the world but that is extremely hard to calculate and I personally don't think it will be that much benefit to UK economy.

But, overall my main problem with this type of event is how the 'big' countries all want to get big medal counts and some of them (You know who I refer to) will use illegal methods to do so. We've already had drugs used in swimming, badminton teams deliberately not trying to win, and much more behind the scenes scullduggery. It's not really about the sport anymore is it :?:

Don't care about the ££... we signed up years ago (without a referendum, I recall) so whether it covers or not is too late to matter. Also too hard to measure I suspect as there will be intangibles for a while to come.
I'm happy to really respect the GB medal winners and competitors though - commitment so absolute has my respect.
And Ainslie sailed seriously close this after' I reckon :wink:

[congrats to Murray who I had never really respected... stunner today, suddenly a big man... in the game and after]

Alll I can say is that I've never watched so much sport in my life and enjoyed a great deal of it to boot :!:

Some of the GB athletes have put in some tremendous efforts. =D> =D> =D>

Bob

Losos":2am69vo0 said:
...........There has been a lot of publicity about the money all the atheletes and visitors will spend but I did note that some of the larger retailers in London were saying that it has not happened
.......... I personally don't think it will be that much benefit to UK economy.
...........We've already had drugs used in swimming, badminton teams deliberately not trying to win, and much more behind the scenes scullduggery. It's not really about the sport anymore is it :?:
I might be a bit more interested in the Olympics were it just about Sport but, it isn't anymore. That's true of many, major, Sporting events.

Losos":27yojeim said:
Wildman":27yojeim said:
But, overall my main problem with this type of event is how the 'big' countries all want to get big medal counts and some of them (You know who I refer to) will use illegal methods to do so. We've already had drugs used in swimming, badminton teams deliberately not trying to win, and much more behind the scenes scullduggery. It's not really about the sport anymore is it :?:
The swimming competitor and the Chinese have emphatically denied drugs use and the drug testing lab found no problem. The badminton farce was appalling. I've not heard about any "behind the scenes skulduggery" ... appreciate a link.

studders":5oz3d72c said:
Losos":5oz3d72c said:
...........There has been a lot of publicity about the money all the atheletes and visitors will spend but I did note that some of the larger retailers in London were saying that it has not happened
.......... I personally don't think it will be that much benefit to UK economy.
...........We've already had drugs used in swimming, badminton teams deliberately not trying to win, and much more behind the scenes scullduggery. It's not really about the sport anymore is it :?:
I might be a bit more interested in the Olympics were it just about Sport but, it isn't anymore. That's true of many, major, Sporting events.

I don't agree. What all the athletes and sports folk have achieved, the sheer hours and hours of training put in, the dedication.....that's what the Olympics is all about.

RogerS":221rc7kh said:
I don't agree. What all the athletes and sports folk have achieved, the sheer hours and hours of training put in, the dedication.....that's what the Olympics is all about.
Well, it's what the Olympics should be about but, it isn't anymore.
It's also about national status for the hosts, regardless of whether the country can afford it, corporate deals for the chosen few, doubts, lies, deceit and a 'Win at all cost' mentality for too many involved.
All in MHO of course.

Never really watched it before, but the men's badminton final was incredible. Those guys were bouncing round the court like rubber balls. Amazing!

studders":w8h73l89 said:
RogerS":w8h73l89 said:
Well, it's what the Olympics should be about but, it isn't anymore.
It's also about national status for the hosts, regardless of whether the country can afford it, corporate deals for the chosen few, doubts, lies, deceit and a 'Win at all cost' mentality for too many involved.
All in MHO of course.

OK..let's look at the points you raise...

about national status for the hosts. Nothing wrong with that. Apart from the G4S shambles, I get the overall impression that the Games have been superbly organised...and something which I believe will impact in a positive way for the country, business, exports etc. Hosting something like this has also brought a tremendous amount of enjoyment to people in this country. I started off an Olympic-cynic/waste-of-money moaner. I have now changed my mind. I have watched far more of the Games then ever before. Same events as Beijing, Sydney but I watched nothing. The fact that it is on home-turf has made it all the more interesting.

A straw poll down the gym before the Olympics revealed the same amount of disinterest. A similar poll at the end of last week showed an awful lot of dissenters had also changed their minds.

regardless of whether the country can afford it Debatable. There are many things the country cannot afford such as Trident and HS2. But have you ever had a mortgage? Ran a credit card? Same principle as the country funding the Olympics. Also, we spent an awful lot less than the Chinese. Also take a look at these stats http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_the_Olympic_Games. Time will tell if we are in profit or loss.

corporate deals for the chosen few Um, that's called business. You bid to be a sponsor. You win or lose. Or are you saying that there was some criminal activity involved in the bidding process. In which case, send your hard evidence to the police or the media.

Or are you objecting to sponsorship? In which case, we need to cancel all football, cricket, Formula 1, many other events, many classical concerts and operas and TV programmes (actually banning the latter for some might not be such a bad thing!)

doubts, lies, deceit Evidence?

a 'Win at all cost' mentality for too many involved Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? It is called SPORT! And here comes Usain Bolt, walking the 100m Mens Final.

Well the USA cannot be taking the games too seriously as NBC who have the TV rights are only showing edited highlights, generally 5 hours after the live event!
Surprising as they are well up in the medal table but I suppose that's commercial TV for you?

Rod

RogerS":1hv2qdem said:
OK..let's look at the points you raise...

about national status for the hosts. Nothing wrong with that.
But what does that have to do with Sport? Why should where an event is held make any difference to those competing? Do you really thnk an Athletes sole or even main aim is to win for their country?
regardless of whether the country can afford it Debatable.
Oh right, so we're not in recession then? That's good to know.
corporate deals for the chosen few Um, that's called business.
Again, what has that got to do with Sport. The Olympics managed well enough for many years without all the krap we get with them today.
doubts, lies, deceit Evidence?
Have a Google.
a 'Win at all cost' mentality for too many involved Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds? It is called SPORT! And here comes Usain Bolt, walking the 100m Mens Final.
I'm disappointed Roger. You know damn well what I meant. Your facetious comment unneeded.

I started off an Olympic-cynic/waste-of-money moaner. I have now changed my mind. I have watched far more of the Games then ever before. Same events as Beijing, Sydney but I watched nothing. The fact that it is on home-turf has made it all the more interesting.

That statement could definately describe me :)

What I have got out of the amount of sport I have been able to watch so far is a great deal of enjoyment and some patriotic pride, (something that idiototic Morrissey describes as "Olympic spirit 'like Nazi Germany'). He should stick to singing though even that's questionable!

An interest in sports I have never previously considered watching, (womens beach volley ball aside :wink: ). Also learned a thing or two about some of the rules.
Cycling for instance I thought would bore me to tears but far from it and I have watched some of it completely captivated :?

I guess all of that now makes me a fully fledged armchair sport critic :roll:

Maybe we can, maybe we can't afford it. We can't afford the NHS, Old age pension and definately not the support we give to benefit scroungers and ilegal immigrants. We certainly can't afford the sallaries and expenses of the huge surplus of MPs and Lords. Royal Family?

OK so we're in recession and all we hear is doom and gloom, - well I for one have found it a nice alternative to see something that lifts my spirits.

Just my twopennerth :wink:

Bob

Yup...feedback from the athletes is that they hated the Beijing Olympics. Everything controlled. Sterile. Compared to London. Words like 'Joyful', 'Uplifting'.

Better get back to my gruel which is what the killjoys would have us eat. :(

I thought the games went to London before the financial bubble burst, could be wrong though. I can't imagine what would have happened if we had subsequently decided to cancel. Great games though.

newt":3g4dqc88 said:
I thought the games went to London before the financial bubble burst, could be wrong though. I can't imagine what would have happened if we had subsequently decided to cancel. Great games though.

As I recall they were awarded in the July of that year and the financial crisis kicked off later that year. It was the same year as the London bombings.

I've been very excited. Amazing performances and results.
But I have a sense of foreboding.
The closing ceremony / party. I fear a big turnout of the usual suspects - the 20th Century old farts (they know who they are), topped off by bloody Macca... again. As one press said: 'Let it be, Paul.'
I want to see a celebration of young talent - that has been the theme and was a part of what won us the bid in the first place. If I have to tolerate McCartney, a squealing Lennox and the back end of Queen... etc again, I shall be upset.

Latest posts

Back