Yorkshire grit / burnishing Cream

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SVB

Established Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen a number of YT vids that show Y Grit used. I wonder, have folks used it and how does it compare to something like Chestnut’s Burnishing cream?

Simon

Chestnuts Cut’n’Polish is what I would class as an alternate, not the Burnishing Cream.

Burnishing Cream is usually used on cured or Lacquered surface to enhance the Gloss.

Cut’n’Polish is used on a sealed wood surface to abrade any minor blemishes and dust motes and leave a reasonably sound wax finish.

There are a videos associated with the Chestnut site and facebook showing Cut’n’Polish in use.

I use Yorkshire grit a lot, I have found it to be a great addition to finishing my resin and burr spheres and is easy to apply and gives a great finish with no other burnishing needed.

The only problem with Yorkshire grit and cut n polish is that you are restricted to using wax finishes no good if you want to use any other type of finish.
If I want a wax finish I will finish my piece by properly sanding and getting that right then add a wax finish that means you don't need to pay for an expensive products.

I use it for lacquered pieces, both shellac and rattle can lacquers can be smoothed off with the YG, it looks finished at a quick glance, but a close inspection will reveal micro scratches still, theses are best removed with the chestnut burnishing cream which gives a superior finish to the grit types. Also, because you are cutting a lacquered finish, there is no problem with the wax content as the coating protects the wood, however, you need to take care not to be heavy handed and cut right through to the wood, that could cause a problem.
I use the YG to take out small marks and generally smooth out the finish, then switch to the cream.

Back