Yew & Sycamore Jewellery Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motownmartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I wanted to make a decorative jewellery box and thought about having some marquetry on the top, so I had a go and found it very dificult, I bumped into a chap at a hobbies and craft exhibition whos name is Quentin Smith and trades under the name QJS Marquetry & Web Design, I approached him and asked to come up with a design for me, this is what he came up with.
100_0958.jpg

Last week he was at the same exhibition and wanted to show the box, it was all a bit of a rush and this shows in some of the pics, having said that, the box looks better in the flesh.

The idea is that He produces the maquetry and I build the box within a budget.

Here are some pics of the first box

100_0951.jpg

100_0955.jpg

100_0956.jpg

100_0960.jpg

100_0954.jpg

100_0953.jpg

devonwoody":1hyr7782 said:
Very nice work on both accounts.

What hinges are they you have used Martin?
Brusso stop hinges John, first off I made sycamore hinges but found that they split too easy, I will do some with Yew hinges.

That's lovely Martin. Good to see the Incra dovetail templates being used to good effect as well! I particularly like the Yew - something I've never worked with.

RogerM":1d1y1n8f said:
That's lovely Martin. Good to see the Incra dovetail templates being used to good effect as well! I particularly like the Yew - something I've never worked with.
Hi Roger
Its not easy to get hold of Yew that is greatly figured and when you do it is normally full of splits.

Martin, that is truely beautiful. The box itself is very well done and elegant, but the marquetry on the top just lifts it to another league.

xy

woodbloke":2128yiey said:
motownmartin":2128yiey said:
Nice jewelry box Martin...but what happened to the mitre joint on the corner of the lid? (and the one diagonally opposite) - Rob
Yes I know Rob, like I said I was rather rushed at the time, its a good job that everyone doesn't have a critical eye like ourselves, and again like I said, it looks better in the flesh.

Latest posts

Back