Yew platter with textured band.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a little platter/plate 8" wide with a textured and scorched decorative band. Its finished with BLO.
yewdremelled500.jpg

Comments welcome :)

JT

like it

if i as being hyper critical i find the small area of sap wood at the left a distraction - but thats a very minor point

Steve, cheers mate :D

BSM, thanks, I like the bit of sapwood :lol: ,originally the textured band was going to be in the middle of the rim but I kept it nearer the middle to leave the piece of sapwood on display! :lol:

JT

When I saw the title I was all ready to dislike it as I couldn't imagine texturing yew but this is great. What did you texture it with? Very very effective and it works with the yew.

Pete

Like the overall proportions of platter and texturing, the 'different' (smokey sheeps wool) nature of which makes a pleasant change from the hard edged patterns often chosen.
Not so sure it would not have looked even more effective on a mono coloured blank as my eyes keep getting drawn to the sapwood and dark banding.

Thanks Pete, it was textured with the dremmel, it started to hurt towards the end as I haven't got a flexi-drive and have to hold the whole thing :lol:

Thanks Chas, it was a 'plain looking' piece of Yew(fairly straight grained),hence the textured band.

JT

johnny.t.":2rcde3f8 said:
...... Thanks Chas, it was a 'plain looking' piece of Yew(fairly straight grained),hence the textured band.
JT
I can see the dilemma, as a plain un-textured piece it may well have been an 'also ran', all a matter of personal perceptions I guess.

Very nice JT. :D
I like the way the grain changes direction after the texturing.Looks like a seperate piece on the outer :?
Does anyone know if the Dremmel bits fit in the Lidl tool :?:

John Matey, thats absolutely great ! i love it.

The wee bit sapwood... to me, its like a bit of deliberate dischord in music.. firstly it 'challenges' you, then once fully 'considered', it becomes an integral part of the piece's overall appeal.

Thats a lovely piece, to my eye.

:D :D :D 8)

Paul.J":firm0g30 said:

i dont know for sure but i would guess so - they definitely fit in the performance power offering - and i wouldnt be suprised if all the cheap ones are identical apart from branding

Paul.J":1lcgoxl9 said:
Very nice JT. :D
I like the way the grain changes direction after the texturing.Looks like a seperate piece on the outer :?

I have a selection of different bits and a couple of different tools and they all seem compatible. You should have a couple of different size mandrels which will take the different sized shanks. If not PM me as I may have some spare.

pete

Thanks Ad,Paul,Alun and ben :D

Jenx":1fx9m6eo said:
....The wee bit sapwood... to me, its like a bit of deliberate dischord in music.. firstly it 'challenges' you, then once fully 'considered', it becomes an integral part of the piece's overall appeal......

Jenx, you sir are in the wrong career, you should be in advertising, with words like that you could surely get the M&S gig....."This is not just woodturning........" :lol: :lol: Good to hear from you,hope you've been getting a bit of turning time 8)

JT

Looks Great Johnny,

I'd be interested in seeing how you do the botton of these platters, do you have a foot /ring etc ?

Ta

Loz

Now that's neat and tidy Johnny, just a few extra minutes of effort but worth an hours admiration.

Back