Yew hollow form.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul.J

Established Member
Reaction score
This was a piece of Yew that i was really surprised stayed together as there were that many flaws in it,but it did until near the end when a lump came off the bottom.
So i had to alter the shape a little near the base as i knew it wouldn't be able to stand up now the piece had fell off so extended the length slightly and put a foot on it to try and show the form as intended.
I then thought if a lid would look good on it and had an old one i turned a few years ago lying about just to try,but am unsure whether to keep that on or not. :?
Size without lid is 10-1/2" high and 6" wide finished with Lemon oil for now.

yewhollowfrom3-ukw.jpg
yewhollowform2-ukw.jpg

yewhollowform1-ukw.jpg

Attachments

• yewhollowform1-ukw.jpg
    yewhollowform1-ukw.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 1,239
  • yewhollowform2-ukw.jpg
    yewhollowform2-ukw.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 1,239
  • yewhollowfrom3-ukw.jpg
    yewhollowfrom3-ukw.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 1,239
  • yewhollow-lidukw.jpg
    yewhollow-lidukw.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,238
That is a nice looking piece and yew is such a lovely figured wood. With a lid ? Looks good either way but on the whole, yes I think so.

Ohh well saved lovely form pity about the crack though, as for lid or no lid it looks good either way. =D>

Paul the piece looks super with or with out the lid. What I like is that the foot does what it is intended to do and that is lift the piece and not interfere with the form well done.

You've got something there Nev, can you turn it round please so that we can see how/if it jells with the split. :p

Doing well on the hollowing front Paul, if you go with the finial I'd consider the coloured base as a contrast, personally I think it balances better.

Thanks everyone glad you like it with or without lid :D
Nev-that had crossed my mind when i found the lid,which doesn't fit corectly by the way so will have to turn a new one, so thanks to your art work i think i will paint it black which will make the form itself stand out more,which was my intention of having the foot on :D

I like it, the finial is very nice, simple, elegant. Great stuff!

Having seen a few Yew items here it is rapidly becoming one of my favourite woods to look at. The warmth, colour and figuring is often really delightful. I do try to use odd bits of wood with many "flaws" because I like this "character" of wood. The downside is it can split or self destruct and some don't see the character as anything but flaws.
So far I have only been able to find a few odd sections of it here in France so not bought or otherwise managed to obtain any.

The only long term disappointment with yew is that if exposed to light it will take on a much darker and less distinctive range of hues after a few months and loose some of the character.

Well here is the hollow form now without its foot.
The foot had split and another piece fell off it so decided to take it off completely.
Made a jam chuck to hold it at the open end and the foot went into my chuck,did what i had to do then removed the jam chuck before parting the foot off.
Then made a new finial for it but got carried away and think it may be too long??

newyewhf-ukw2.jpg

Attachments

• newyewhf-ukw2.jpg
    newyewhf-ukw2.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 388
To my eye it looks better without the foot, and I think you are right about the new finial being a bit too long. I really like the character of anything featuring splits, knots, etc, even though others see flaws instead. You have made a super job of it, is it difficult to "keep the crack", I'm a beginner !
Regards Terry

Thanks for the comments folks :D
Yes everyone thats seen it again now all agree, although the foot did look nice the form is better without it,which was my original intention until it started to fall apart at the base :D
I can play about with differing finial until i get one that looks ok,though some do like the one thats on??

Back