Yew bowls

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babylon355

Established Member
Reaction score
Have been busy in the garage making pens, bowls, tea lights, reindeers and all manner of things in readiness for the craft fayre season and had a piece of yew left over. Got the guard on the trusty Startrite up and ran it through to make two matching halves. Made one last night and the other today but forgot I'd left the one last night natural and put some friction polish on the centre of the one today (old age for you!)
I'll probably get the Chestnut mops out and sort them out tomorrow but happy with the look.
Roughly 6 inches by 5 and 1 1/2 high.

IMAG0672.jpg

I do like you. I mean yew!!
It's got such a lovely grain but a nightmare to run through a planer thicknesser. I planked a load today and probably had a better finish off the bandsaw than after planing it

Something iv not attempted but i can see its well turned and finished they will sell thats quality =D> =D> =D>
Regards
Bill

Piece of cake really gents, didn't take long to turn at all. For the next ones I will put a small nail in the centre where the hole for the screw will go and close the pair down on each other to leave a mark on the other one so they are both centred identically. A quick pass of the face over a surface planer to clean up the bandsaw marks, turn out the bowls then clean up the backs on a faceplate mounted sanding disc. Bit dusty but get the extractor going and it's not too bad. I'd be reluctant to put them through a thicknesser although I did another pair last night that were bigger so they possibly could.
They look good closed up as a pair, especially from either end where you see the grain match up.

I have found a Cherry log in my log pile and it has a fork on the end so I have got to have a go at this one all I hope is they look as good as yours

I'm sure they will! If I can pass on one piece of advice it would be to clean up the face as best as you can prior to cutting out the bowl as it just makes it easir to get a good finish. Oh, and to spend a bit of time matching the holes for the screw chuck so they match perfectly, mine leave a lot to be desired in that respect.

Of course I don't mind. This forum is for everyone to share their work and ideas. Come on, I'm waiting....

Latest posts

Back