Yew Bonanza

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobblezard

1 step forward, 2 back, 2 forward - rest - repeat
Reaction score
Like a lot of folk I don't get enough time to work with wood so today was the perfect storm, a day off work, the wife away and I have 'permission' to visit the sawmill as long as I bring back something to make the bench I've been promising.

After picking out an ash board I asked if they had any yew, a few moments and a trip to the back of the yard later I was looking at an, initially unpromising, trunk section a little over four feet long. After a bit of discussion we agreed a price of £100 sawn through and through (cue bandsaw envy).

I spent this afternoon with the bandsaw and a pan of paraffin wax to produce - 6 x 3" bowl blanks (10"-14"), 6 x 1 1/2" Platter/clock blanks, 14 x 3"x 3" blanks, 8 x Stool blanks, 2 slabs for future projects and a bench seat! I've always wanted a yew bench looks like I'm having one.

Yew BOnanza 3.jpg

I don't know if the picture will work but am well chuffed, time for a bath and a trip to the pub...

Attachments

• Yew BOnanza 3.jpg
    Yew BOnanza 3.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 966
Thanks for the offer Graham but I fear it might be a bit too far for you travel, 'tis a shame though cos' there's enough offcuts for hundreds of pens, christmas decorations, light pulls, coin dishes etc. etc. :lol:

bobblezard":3nwjmkwu said:
Thanks for the offer Graham but I fear it might be a bit too far for you travel, 'tis a shame though cos' there's enough offcuts for hundreds of pens, christmas decorations, light pulls, coin dishes etc. etc. :lol:

Well then you had better get turning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice haul look forward to see what you turn

Dalboy":2nyffqns said:
bobblezard":2nyffqns said:

Well then you had better get turning :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice haul look forward to see what you turn

Just so :)

Indeed, not sure when I'll start on this lot though, the chap said it had been felled around twelve years ago but it was in the open, only the first few inches showed any appreciable moisture but I think I'll stockpile most of it until the autumn - any thoughts on how seasoned this would be? the trunk was around 15" x 18"

Can I ask what do you have in mind for the 3x3 inch pieces. Reason is today I rescued the last of a huge yew tree from a bonfire. there is some splitting and damage but I hope lots of useful bits although I may well have to resort to gluing good bits together to make bowls.

Also hope to soon get my new bandsaw working and play with it :)

As I said on another forum, the wood fairy is really busy this month (or is it last month now?) I have had 4 laburnum logs, 18 - 12" diameter by my tame tree surgeon plus 1/2 dozen smaller ones, a lime board, 48"x12"x4" by someone at a market I do who had given up carving, a friend passed over 50 burrs from small to large in elm, oak, chestnut which he no longer wants, just had an offer of half a dozen logs of dried yew and my friend is clearing out his workshop and passed on all the 'bits' he will never used to the point where I have no room left in my workshop. More burrs, walnut, sycamore, maple, and a load of stuff that as yet is unidentified. All dry so I am pretty made up for wood for a week or two. Sod's law I'll get a commission now in a wood I haven't got or a size I can't match LOL.

Pete
Pete

Hi Woodfarmer,
As for the 3x3 pieces, I usually go for goblets, candlesticks or boxes but may try some fruit and a hollow form though haven't done so yet. I have used lots of small pieces of yew for christmas baubles (quite traditional shapes) where the figure and fine finish really stand out though these can be best from short billets where there is lots of pippy figuring.

Pete, you've out done me there, wood seems to fall into your lap, particularly jealous of the burrs, not had enough chance to play with these as yet!

Back