Yew and apple (or is it pear?) for free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greybeard

Established Member
Reaction score
My new best friends, aka my friendly tree-fellers, have just done themselves, and me, very proud. I could waffle on - I usually do - but the nub is that I have some 'spare to requirements' logs of both yew and apple (I should perhaps explain that's "Spare" as in "I can't get any more in my shed/garage/attic at the minute", just in case anyone was wondering at a learner-turner suggesting he had enough wood!).

The trees were cut down during October.

The yew - it's mostly 15/18 inches long logs, between about 5 and 10 inches diameter, mostly the smaller size I think. I've got about 8 logs. There's also one or two larger chunkier pieces.

The apple (which may well be pear - long story, but positive ID not made!) - there's just a couple of logs. But they're bigger by a couple of inches.

There's also a 'lump' of oak. (A 'lump'? - that's tree-feller speak for "the largest piece an old git can probably manage without breaking anything more than wind". From memory it's about 15 inch diameter and about 2 foot long - doesn't quite go under one arm so to speak.)

It all needs to go - preferably not for firewood! Sorry if sizes etc are a bit vague, I meant to jot down some notes this pm....ho hum!

I live in Hertfordshire, in the quaint old new town of Welwyn Garden City - PM me if you're interested.

:x :x :x

Why is it I'm always 180 miles away from people giving away wood?

I'd kill for some more Yew.

Chris

I know just what you mean,Chris :evil:

Andrew (even further away..)

P.S. - Greybeard,thanks for the very kind offer,though :D

I`d echo that thanks too Greybeard for the offer. I have thought of just phoning up a local tree surgeon and asking him what they do with it all but thought he might think me a cheeky git so never bothered, might bite the bullet and give em a bell now.
Cheeky git :wink:

Steve - I found a local tree surgeon,rang him,and he is only too happy to offload any timber he gets;currently,the best he can do with it is sell it as firewood :(
So give it a go - what have you got to lose ?

Andrew

I drove past, no....stopped when I saw them - some local council guys taking down a Beech today - subcontracting to the county council who's contracting to the landowner, anyway - tomorrow the crane comes in - and holds the tree and lowers it after they've cut it. Apparently the trunk is rotting and... (spalting ?)........keep your fingers crossed for me!

See if you can get hold of some of the root, there's gorgeous figuring in it. and also look for any crotches, where the branches meet the trunk or join each other. If you get some unspalted beech, soak it in water and half bury it. It'll spalt very quickly in my experience

Pete

I've turned a lot of beech, as you would expect living near the Chilterns, and some of the best is as Pete said near the root or in crotches but if it has figure like feathering dont let it spalt it just covers the fantastic markings. I might get round to taking a picture or two to show you what I mean if I can load the pictures properly.
Ken

Latest posts

Back