yet another sharpening thread.... coopers tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobytools

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok rules first.... What ever methods individuals choose are fine so no arguing about what's best please.

My questions re how to sharpen a curved draw knife, coopers hewing axe, Crum knife, hollowing tools ect.
and a swift plane? What angles and anyone sharpened these tools?
And light shed will be great thanks.
TT

I know you have a 'few' oil stones Toby - do you have any of odd curves/shapes that might lend themselves to such curved blades? I expect that the answer to all is an oil stone of one sort or another.

I saw a retired cooper give a demo once and noticed that he first wiped with a rag then swiped his draw knife with a stone after every use on a green stave. This takes 'little and often' to a new level.

For curved draw knives (and straight ones) I sharpen by holding the knife still and moving the stone (or equivalent) along it. A bit like shaping a piece of curved wood by using sandpaper on a block.

You do need to look carefully at how you are holding the stone and find a grip where you don't have your fingers wrapped around the stone, bumping into the sharp edge.

Holding the knife can be as simple as holding one handle and resting the other against something solid. You could use a vice if one is available.

Thanks guys, I've seen some YouTube vidz where they use a home made jigg and a bench grinder to good effect so might give that a try to re-set the bevel. Then use my Belgium yellow to get it sharp. I just got a few good coopers tools and can share pics of anyone is interested. I have a thing with these craft tools and their history :)
TT

Back