Yet another hooked on pens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattcullum

Established Member
Reaction score
Its been a while since I've posted not having done much turning of recent in the nice weather but a little birthday money allowed me to purchase a pen turning kit. heres my third effort, the firsts shape was wrong, the seconds shape was correct but I failed to get a gloss finish.

pen3.jpg

pen2.jpg

pen.jpg

I struggled to cpature a decent photo that show of the high gloss finish, not sure of the wood, but its finished with CA and polish with mm and then huts plastic polish. I'm now hooked, whats a decent kit to progress to from the simple 7mm twist kits?

cracking pen callum, keep it up. Dont think because you didn't get a gloss finish it was wrong, some pens look good just flat.. :lol: :lol:

Bodrighy":1os0g48j said:
Oh dear, Am I the last member of this forum who has yet to turn one?

Indeed not - I'm a pen virgin too!

I do admire other people's work with turned pens (and Callum's is another good one) but making them myself doesn't appeal on several counts - the first being the need to have a kit of pre-made parts in order to make one, the second being that making one involves a lot of fiddly assembly (rather than just turning wood), and the third being that nearly everyone I know is like me and uses cheap (or freebie) biros because it doesn't really matter if they get lost, mislaid or stolen. The few quality pens (of sentimental value) I own live in a drawer, rarely get used and never leave the house!

I would be quite interested in turning my own wooden pencils as that way I'd end up with pencils made of decent wood that will sharpen properly (unlike modern ones of rubbish wood that just tears away when you try and sharpen them so the leads keep breaking) - but am unsure about how to fit the lead successfully (or even where to get pencil leads with no pencil around them). I'm sure real wooden pencils are made in two halfs which are then stuck together with the graphite lead inside, rather than drilled out and the graphite part slid carefully down the hole!

I thought they were going to be fiddly to assemble, but the simple 7mm twist kit pens are an absolute doddle to put together a mere 2 mins of assembly at the end of the turning and finishing. Its been the finishing side of it that has been the steepest learning curve as I crave the lovely glossy finish that others show here on there pens.

That said, I've just bought a 7mm Roundtop kit from turners retreat (described as a good progression from the standard kits) and I am re-reading the instructions ALOT, still sure I get there in the end!

Best Regards

Matthew (not Callum) :D

hi matt
try moving onto the cigar pens, they are really simple if you follow a few rules but so rewarding to do being chunkier.
Try corian, and acrylic too, you get a really shiny finish on them.

keep it up.. :eek:

dont worry, im still a pen virgin too.

i have a feeling something about me not likeing to write has something to do with it :p

Hi Matt,

I agree that pen turning can become addictive. It's how I started out in turning and I reject criticisms of the pre made parts and the assembly process. Once the pen is finished and assembled it becomes a beautiful object (just like yours in fact!) crying out to be used for it's intended function. I agree also with Steve to try the cigar pen. This is a mans pen, heavy but beautifully proportioned and comfortable to hold. With regards to pen blanks there are as many types available as you can shake a stick at. Turners Retreat, Axminster and ebay are excellent sources. If you want to learn more can I direct you to a forum dedicated to pen making. Some of the pens posted on here will blow your socks off!! :D

http://ukpenkits.com/catalog/forums/index.php

Throw the plastic bics away and use a quality hand turned pen of your own

Ray

Hi Matt

I'M A PEN JUNKY!
I have a small bench mounted lathe and I just love making pens. I Started with the cigar pens as they were chunky... was a bit scared I wouldn't be able to get the turning thin enough on the standard 7mm's
Pens were the first thing I made on the lathe.... now there's no stopping me! Cigars are a great chunky pen... but they're good to show more of the blanks details off. Just gone into acrylic ones and they shine like glass! love em!

In fact, I have a craft fair booked to do in November... Not because I think I'm that good that I can make money on them... just that I'm getting so many pens on the desk, my partner is moaning so figured I may be able to sell a couple to free up some space, and so I can buy more kits!

Thanks for the encouragement, any suggestions on where the best place to buy simple "beginners" cigar kits from? I take it I'll need a new 10mm drill, bushings and a different barrel trimmer?

Just put together my roundtop kit but got the sizing just a little wrong top and bottom so the nib and top are not flush, bummer. The finish was good, measure twice and cut once they say! Super dssapointed.

Matt

I get my cigar kits from a1 pen kits... or a1 kits... can't remember which it is.... on ebay, based in australia... but with postage, for 5 kits, it still works out cheaper than i can get them anywhere else. I use them and have had no problems. (about 14.40 for 5 kits inc postage works out about 2.80 a kit)

Bushings I got again from e bay ....fun ez turn

Back