Yet another computer problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alan Holtham

Established Member
Reaction score
I know you have been discussing possible new forums, looks to me like there should be a computer problem forum!

Can anyone help me please?

I have a PC dedicated for internet use only. Usually when I switch it on the clock is wrong. Assuming it was the battery on the board I changed this but it made no difference.

If I reset the clock either manually or by synchronizing with the internet time it stays OK for a while then gradually drifts off, often by hours. I have tried leaving it off synchronization and using the two Windows synch options but it never seems stable.

If I turn it off with the incorrect time, it is sometimes correct on the next boot up, so something must be holding the time somewhere.

I have canvassed several techies on this one but only get met with much sucking in of breath and head shaking. :?

Anyone any ideas?

It doesn't really matter, I just don't like being beaten by a little box of wires. Never get these problems on the Mac :wink:

Cheers,

Alan

Sorry I cant help you on that one Alan, I have known some people who seem to have the same problem with their time keeping. :wink:

Probably the battery on the motherboard is going flat.... (and it really is easy to fix if you are lucky - its just a watch battery to replace. Like this...... Unclip, and replace.

via_chipset_eeprom_bios_3v_li_battery.jpg

Introduction and Lithium Battery

Every PC motherboard has a battery. That battery serves two purposes: to feed the configuration memory (also called CMOS) and to feed the real time clock of the computer (the one that show the date and the time).

An indication it is time to change the motherboard battery is receiving one of the following error messages when you turn on your computer: CMOS CHECKSUM FAILURE, CMOS BATTERY STATE LOW, CMOS SYSTEM OPTIONS NOT SET and CMOS TIME AND DATE NOT SET. Another indicator of a low battery is a clock that, after being set, runs well while the computer is on, but shows the wrong time when the computer is turned on the following day (it is late).

See here, http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/81 its often as simple as changing a watch battery.

Or here http://www.ehow.com/how_113689_replace-pcs-battery.html

More Info....

When your CMOS battery goes bad, you'll notice some strange behavior out of your computer. Your PC needs to remember several important pieces of information in order to operate correctly: the current date and time, the amount of memory installed, the number of disk drives (and their configuration), etc. This information is stored in CMOS memory, which is retained with the help of the CMOS battery when you turn off the power.

With earlier computers, either the user entered this information manually each time the computer booted up, or it was set using DIP switches or jumpers. Today's computers store this information in a special CMOS chip that uses a tiny battery to retain the information when power is removed from the computer.

CMOS (complementary metal oxide semiconductor) is a type of chip that consumes a miniscule amount of power. While the computer is turned off, the CMOS battery discharges very slowly over time. But the battery will discharge completely if you leave your PC turned off for a long period of time. Even if you use your computer every day, the battery will only last two or three years. And sometimes a CMOS battery will simply fail prematurely.

Plug-and-play functionality built into modern computers can detect most of the required settings, but if your CMOS battery has died, your PC will not be able to retain the current date and time. It will also lose any custom settings, such as the boot sequence. And if you have set a CMOS password, you may even be locked out of the computer.

If the CMOS battery does fail, you may receive the message
"System Configuration Lost" as the computer is booting. As a precaution you should keep a record of all the CMOS settings.

To make a record of the CMOS settings, watch for an on-screen prompt when you first start your computer. The prompt will tell you to press a key (often the Del key) to enter the CMOS setup utility. Press the designated key while this message is displayed on the screen. After the CMOS setup screen appears, follow the instructions provided to view all the screens and record each of the settings. That way you'll be prepared when your CMOS battery does fail (and it will fail eventually).

If your PC's clock loses its setting overnight, the CMOS
battery is most likely not holding a charge. The CMOS battery is located inside the case on the system board (motherboard). It usually looks like a small "barrel", or it may be similar to a watch battery. If the battery is a flat, round, watch-type battery, you can probably change it yourself. CMOS batteries come in different voltages, so be sure to get an exact replacement. If the battery is of the "barrel" variety, you probably need to take the computer to a qualified PC service technician to have it replaced.

If you want to try to locate the CMOS battery yourself, be
aware that a static electricity discharge from your hands can cause severe damage to the components inside the computer. After taking proper precautions (use an anti-static wrist strap), open the case and look for a battery on the system board. If you have a diagram of your system board, locating the battery will be easy.

Sometimes the battery is attached with a small clip. Others are actually soldered to the system board. Replacing the latter type of CMOS battery is usually a job best left to a PC technician. A person who is inexperienced in soldering can cause severe damage to the system board. If you want to try to replace a soldered-in battery yourself, first practice on an old, unused circuit board. You'll likely change your mind.

If the CMOS battery has failed due to old age, you might wish to consider just replacing the system board. If you do, you need to make sure that your new system board is the correct form factor for your computer's case, and that it has the correct bus connector slots for your expansion boards.

Good instruactions here....http://www.smartcomputing.com/Editorial ... .asp&guid=

Hope that helps,

Adam

Thanks for that Adam.

I presumed it was the battery so have actually replaced it but the problem persists. Unless of course the new battery is faulty, have only changed it once, but I would think this is unlikely.

Alan

Back to basics i assume you are running XP and in control panel- date and time- internet time, automatically sync. is ticked.also you have used another site via the drop down and clicked on time sync in support . If all is working and you have a time is sync,d message the battery is good it must be the mother board i recommend global pc 12 barker street nantwich
Just noticed there are extra sites for sync on google 'internet clock'

Alan Holtham":ay3005i7 said:
Thanks for that Adam.

I presumed it was the battery so have actually replaced it but the problem persists. Unless of course the new battery is faulty, have only changed it once, but I would think this is unlikely.

Alan

Doh, if I'd read you post properly, I'd have seen that already. :roll:

WIll keep thinking...

Adam

This sounds like its the timer crystal going wonky which unfortunately means your mobo needs repairing. I've only had that happen to an old 286 and a REALLY old compac luggable (before laptops there was something around the size of midi tower with a tiny screen embedded in one end and a removable keyboard. I got it free, second hand from a friend as it was pretty much junk and took me a bit of fiddling to get working)

Another problem could be your PSU giving out wrong voltages. If it's not that old it could have on board monitoring that you could read with a program called Motherboard Monitor 5. It's unlikely but possible. When I was doing private consultancy work I came across a PC that was doing this with its clock and replacing the PSU actually fixed it. Turned out the 5v rail was under correct voltage.

I'm lucky in that if one PC goes duff I can swap out bits from another to see if it fixes it. Having 5 in my house seems over the top until you see what they are all doing. :wink:

Thanks guys, I was afraid it was a bit more involved than my limited knowledge! As I said it doesn't really matter, it is more of a personal thing, I can accept that wood often beats me, but not a few bits of electric string.

Will try the mobo test program when I have a bit more time, thanks for the link.

better get to bed now, computer says its 11.32pm, funny that, its still light and all the birds are singing!

Alan.

PS. OLD, I use PC centre in Beam St, they have built me several PCs and are very tolerant of my ever changing requirements.

My point about the internet clock was could you run the computer from your clock that was continually being up dated from the internet should be a matter of setting the number of times a day it syncs up.

OLD":b3zhtrcs said:
My point about the internet clock was could you run the computer from your clock that was continually being up dated from the internet should be a matter of setting the number of times a day it syncs up.

Problem is that the clock fault may be an indicator of a bigger problem. If you smell smoke in your car you don't just open the windows do you? :wink:

Iraqi friend I had when I was living in the YMCA back in the late 80's had this fiat which was bombing up the motorway in the fast lane... One of the passengers said they could smell something burning. Then the car engine just cut out dead... He navigated the car over to the hard shoulder after putting it in neutral (his previous speed actually helped here) and everyone piled out. The guy opened up his bonnet and the damn engine was on fire... Poor guy ended up watching his car burn to bits as he sat on the hard shoulder as this was before everyone had a phone in their pocket and the roadside assistance phone was a distance away.

Eventually a cop car pulled over and called the fire brigade.

Perhaps he should have tuned his radio to the Internet Time thingy!
roflmao.gif
roflmao.gif
roflmao.gif

Back