Yandles Show

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Managed to spend about an hour there shortly after lunch, having successfully collected and loaded my new pillar drill (thanks, Tim! :) ) and visited Axminster's store in the morning.

While I just about managed to keep my wallet shut, I was impressed by some of the timber on offer - without looking at the prices (?), they had a nice selection of elm, chestnut and also some thicker cedar of Lebanon. Generally, the timber on show appeared to be of a higher quality than what I have sometimes seen in previous shows.

I notice a small selection of Triton tools in the main shop but no 'stand' as such. No-one seemed to be manning it and the guys behind the counter were busy (I didn't bother with the Toolbank guys, next door) so, I didn't get to find out whether the un-boxed Dust Bucket was actually for sale... :( All the other items (routers and super jaws) were priced up.

As Olly said bigger selection/stock of timber there than the spring event but it was moving fairly steadily from early on, prices for the thicker/bigger slabs suitable for turning were better priced (cheaper) than I've seen there on recent visits especially with the 15% show timber discount.

For those interested I noted that the Charnwood W650 saw was on show offer of £720 which seemed a good price to me.

Some very nice slabs of Burr Oak!! Shame they started at £300!!

A lot if timber stock in. Especially burr elm and spalted beech. Well there was this morning anyway!!

Also chestnut buffing system was £45, in case anyones interested! I was, and saw a demo from Terry on using it.

Phil

It was certainly a busy show - better than previous years.
Have to confess, gave way to temptation over the Charnwood W650 Table Saw - now have to wait for delivery ......
John

Ah well Waka, the price of the Besseys would have only upset you! :D
That's if they had any left?

Rod

The special offer duo clamps were all sold out Rod by the time I got there early this morning, in fact they had sold out around lunchtime yesterday I believe.

The burr oak was fantastic, amazing pieces, and the show layout was good too with more circulating room which was just as well as it got extremely busy later in the morning.

Didn't see anybody from here all morning, but had a good day out and left around lunchtime as it was getting too packed to move !

Picked up a few ferrules from Ashley Isles for tool making, and some sanding arbours for woodturning. Had a closer look at the Sorby Pro-Edge and liked it but wasn't impressed with the show pricing on it so when I got home I ordered one from Mike at CHT instead as he has 5% off stuff this month.

Also got a cheese and ham roll and cup of tea but don't suppose that counts :lol:

Cheers, Paul :D

I went yesterday for a wander and ended up with a Startrite 352E :D

Quite a beast compared to my previous model but disappointingly already discovered a couple of issues that will be subject of a separate post later.

Looks like an excellent saw - it's also the one I would have gone for, had I not been offered a 401e at a bargain price! :wink:

If you are having trouble, do let us know (photos also help). I'm sure we'll all be able to help. If not then, you could contact Startrite directly - I've found them to be very helpful indeed. And, of course; assuming it's brand-new, your machine is covered by their warranty. :)

Back