XP taskbar

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deejay

Established Member
Reaction score
Evenin' all

The taskbar on my machine now appears as a vertical strip on the right hand side of the screen, as opposed to the 'normal' horizontal one.

Why it has changed is a mystery. All I did was start the thing up and there it was, bu**ered.

I thought that right clicking it and unlocking it would let me put it back to the horizontal display, but no joy there.

System restore made no changes.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Dave

I had this happen twice and it's an easy fix.

Left click on the task bar, hold, drag to bottom, release.

I just checked on my own by doing the reverse and ended up with the task bar on the side and then returned it to the bottom, so it works OK.

Brendan

Normally clicking and holding the left button over the task bar and then dragging it back to the bottom works.

Thanks both. I've had this happen before and as you say, left clicking and dragging has moved it in the past. After clicking on the 'dotted' lines and stretching the icons I eventually managed to move it back to the bottom.

Then it would not reduce in height, only 'toggle' between something about an inch high and a thin blue line.

Stretching the icon area again finally let me adjust the height of the bar, but in the process the background on the desktop reverted to one of the XP default options.

Format C: and possibly Linux looks like an option. I'm getting really brassed off with Microsoft software. Anyone out there using Linux?

Cheers

Dave

If , after moving the taskbar back to the bottom you right click it and put a tick against " lock toolbar" it shouldn't happen again

Davon

Thanks Davon, I'll do that. I still don't understand why this happens and why system restore doesn't fix it.
Perhaps it's just another unpublished feature from Microsoft.

Cheers

Dave

If you download the latest Ubuntu release of Linux it is far and away the most friendly version of Linux. Burn it to a DVD and then you can do a live boot. Choose that during boot and you get to try out the OS without actually installing it. Programs you will want to install of the bat are Open Office, Evolution email client and "The GIMP" - which is a photoshop type application.

Good luck and if you want to know any more let me know, Rob.

Back