XP Shutdown problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Calling all computer bods!

Getting this shutdown problem on my laptop running XP Pro Sys Pack 2 etc.

ccSVCHst.exe - Application Error
The instruction at "0x00534689" referenced memory at "0x00000001"
The memory could not be written

This comes up with an option to click OK but all is frozen

Also the mouse freezes every so often and can only be used via the trackpad which is very irritating!

Any help is welcome please.

Regards,
martin

are you running Norton by any chance ? if so then close down windows defender if you have it and if not Norton itself (completely) if that solves the problem throw norton in the bin where it belongs and get AVG which is free and 10 times better

Go to Control Panel and open "Administrative Tools." Now open "Event Viewer" - you'll see that the left-hand pane contains at least three categories (Application, Security and System). Right-click on each category, then click on "Clear All Events" in the resulting menu.

Shut down.

When you re-start, the Event Viewer should have a message - usually with a red flag - describing the event that caused the problem. You can then Google for the most likely cause/workaround/fix/whatever.

HTH

Ray.

This problem is often caused by Norton IS attempting to scan a (non-existant) A: drive during shutdown.

In Norton IS go to

Settings>Auto Protect>Configure>Real Time Protection - General Settings

and uncheck Scan floppy disk in drive A for boot viruses when shutting down. This is for the 2007 version - yours may differ.

Do you really need Windblows?

Ubuntu is a great feature-rich Linux distro for newbs and, unless you want to setup servers, is fairly easy to install.

The biggest advantage being that it will do almost anything your 'doze machine does, but at no extra cost once you've sorted out that all your hardware is compatible - older machines and peripherals bnearly always are.

The advantage? Virus free to any discernible extent

Nick W,
that seems to have helped a lot.
Argee
thanks Ray you gave me that trick before but I forgot it :oops:
Roger
I looked at the site and have removed the duplicate ccSVCst.exe file and shutdown now seems normal, fingers crossed!

thanks guys!
martin

PS Why is Norton not reckoned much? I thought they were the market leaders here?

mahking51":xxphs9h1 said:
Why is Norton not reckoned much? I thought they were the market leaders here?

It's a religion/market-dominance thing, much like Windows.

They used to be very good, but over the last few years, they've increased the number of running Services and general bloat of their software, to the extent that in a lot of cases it actually slows the system down. There are numerous and better alternatives out there in my opinion.

Plus - the big issue, is in trying to get rid of Norton when / if you do decide to ditch it. It can be a right royal pain in the a** !! It attaches itself to the OS like the Alien in the movie of the same name.

Back