X - Carve CNC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fair point - I'll have a think and PM you on the troubleshooting.

I also like using the CNC machine as an intellectual exercise - how do I do the same job with hand tools, powertools/machinery and with CNC? Some things are easier one way than another, but sometimes it's just good to approach things from different angles. One of the first jobs I programmed was a turner's cube in beech. Not normally made on a mill...

I'm finding this an interesting thread.I completely understand the comments regarding the structural aspects of some entry level machines and I am torn between building a basic MDF machine from scratch so that I have a better understanding of the technology or buying something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3D-CNC-Router ... 2ca094b1c3 so that I can assemble the parts and then start cutting parts.

It may be straying from the subject of this thread,but I would be glad of any experiences with adding limit switches,homing sensors and tool length sensors to basic machines.I'm currently thinking LinuxCNC and maybe Meshcam.

I'd say buy or make the most rigid frame you can. You can always start off with a palm router and upgrade to a spindle later, but compromising on the frame will limit the machine's potential.

Ordered an x carve fully loaded. Does anyone know of any websites where you can download free plans etc. to carve.

HeliGav":fv09qzaq said:
Ordered an x carve fully loaded. Does anyone know of any websites where you can download free plans etc. to carve.
Have a rummage around the cnczone forum. I'm also on there as "sploo", though less active these days.

marcros":78jf6sr5 said:

I guess so.
I would love to give it a go but i think i'd rather a small cheap desktop diy Chinese one to get my toes wet then if i like it i can look at building my own larger unit.

Jmac80":33kayc5x said:
Just looking at these..
$1279 in the usa and £1170 here, i know import charges etc but seems a little steep?
When I bought the K2 KG3925 I paid about 4% import duty ("machines for cutting wood and plastic", as far as I recall). You obviously pay shipping for a pallet, then you pay VAT on the item cost, VAT on the shipping, VAT on the import duty (yes, tax on the tax), and I believe there was a handling fee (a fee for the privilege of them charging you a fee). Yes, there was also VAT on the handling fee too.

However, even after being royally bent over, it still came in cheaper than a European made machine. I was also looking at http://en.step-four.at/hp2/, but for the same money their machines were smaller, slower, and looked much flimsier.

That said, it was ten years ago, and the exchange rate was $2 to £1, so things may be different now.

The current rate is about $1.5, so $1279 is £852, add 20% VAT and you get £1023, so £1170 is in the ball park.

Jmac80":1c6gmei3 said:
yeah i guess so.
think i'd still like to only spend about 500 incase it just isn't for me.

anyone any opinions on this? http://openbuildspartstore.com/c-beam-m ... al-bundle/
My gut feel is that £500 isn't a lot of cash for a CNC - even for full DIY. The K2 was $6400 (in 2006 money), and is "cheap" compared to many machines.

However, there's a video of it cutting aluminium, which isn't exactly trivial, and technology's come on a long way in the last decade, so it might be worth a punt.

Obviously the table size and travel is limited, and there's a worrying lack of specs on their site re feed rates, but I suspect it'll do small wood/plastic/alum jobs OK.

The feed rate will be dependent on the motors you choose, surely? That kit is just the structural and mechanical bits. Absolutely right that it's important though, or you end up burning wood and bits because you're not throwing enough heat away with the chips.

You'd need to add a controller and a set of decent steppers or servos to that kit - based on how good the OPPB I bought from them was I'd suggest:

http://www.diycnc.co.uk/cnc-systems.html

You'll also need a spindle (or a router) - Bosch palm router or GMF1400CE are good bets because you can get balanced high precision collets for them from PreciseBits, though if you can afford a proper spindle that has huge advantages (my next upgrade). Then a control application such as Mach3, a CAM processor and a CAD client if you don't have them.

Sporky McGuffin":1tw3htge said:
The feed rate will be dependent on the motors you choose, surely?
That's true, but the strength/rigidity of the frame dictates what motors you could use, as well as the power of the spindle (which will be dictated by the ability of the machine to carry a large/heavy spindle). Even with the K2 I found that a lot of feeds and speeds recommendations for various cutting bits and materials aren't really possible, as I'd need more HP to manage the required feed speed. That said, I could get a proper spindle, which I could run at a slower RPM and scale the recommended feed speed accordingly.

Apologies for not responding to the original post sooner but I have an XCarve, bought from Robbosavvy and now up and working quite well.
Anyone who has been on the Inventables website forum will read about the various issues with the machine and although I have had a few frustrating moments I am now quite pleased with it.

I bought the standard spindle but it failed within a few days. I think Inventables were sold a bad batch but their response was brilliant. There was a no quibble offer to replace or refund. I opted for a Dewalt mount and i now use a router instead of the original spindle and it is much more powerful imho.

Setting the machine up and adjusting the belt tensions takes a bit of trial and error but, having assembled the machine from boxes of bits I feel I have a better idea of how it works.

Although the Carve has its own CNC software (Easel...which is improving and developing every week) I have opted to use VCarve (on a microsoft partition on my Mac) saving tools paths as a file on a stick which I then drop into Chillipeppr to communicate with the XC. I find this works quite well. for simpler projects Easel is perfectly adequate and Inventables seem to be adding bits to it weekly, e.g. gear generator, inlay generator etc.

Overall I am quite pleased with the Xcarve and am building a long list of things to have a go at.

Hi Inoffthered
Are you still enjoying the router? Any pics of stuff you created? ready to sell me it lol :)

Inoffthered":19uxu3ji said:
Apologies for not responding to the original post sooner but I have an XCarve, bought from Robbosavvy and now up and working quite well.
Anyone who has been on the Inventables website forum will read about the various issues with the machine and although I have had a few frustrating moments I am now quite pleased with it.

I bought the standard spindle but it failed within a few days. I think Inventables were sold a bad batch but their response was brilliant. There was a no quibble offer to replace or refund. I opted for a Dewalt mount and i now use a router instead of the original spindle and it is much more powerful imho.

Setting the machine up and adjusting the belt tensions takes a bit of trial and error but, having assembled the machine from boxes of bits I feel I have a better idea of how it works.

Although the Carve has its own CNC software (Easel...which is improving and developing every week) I have opted to use VCarve (on a microsoft partition on my Mac) saving tools paths as a file on a stick which I then drop into Chillipeppr to communicate with the XC. I find this works quite well. for simpler projects Easel is perfectly adequate and Inventables seem to be adding bits to it weekly, e.g. gear generator, inlay generator etc.

Overall I am quite pleased with the Xcarve and am building a long list of things to have a go at.

Fast reply thanks :)
They are meant to be the best of the Chinese ones.
The advantage i see with the xcarve is bed size for larger projects and maybe ease of use?
But as you say this one looks a lot more rigid and a much more powerful spindle that seams to be (by videos) heaps quieter than my dewalt router which would be mounted on a xcarve... wow that things scream!
what to do...... ?

Jmac80":2tec0gp5 said:
What do you all think of this one compared to the xcarve?
X6-2200L http://www.omiocnc.com/x6-2200l-3a/
Working area isn't that large - so be certain you won't find it restrictive.

A water cooled spindle is a big positive, but remember there will need to be a tank and pump somewhere for the water.

$2200 with a spindle seems very low to me - my K2 KG3925, without a spindle, was over $4000, and that was 10 years ago. It is using servos not steppers though. Perhaps the tech has just gotten way cheaper over the years.

Back