wych elm ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve.b

Established Member
Reaction score
Someone let me have this peice burr wich I managed to cut up and make the items in the picture, the thing is does anyone have any idea what timber it is, I have been told wych elm,
IMG_2140.jpg

thanks steve

steve.b":nmd1re57 said:

Not handled any Wych Elm myself but it is very similar to the Exeter Elm I have so could well be.
_________ _______ _______ click on images for larger view

Well executed by the way, not the easiest of pieces to fashion by the look of it.

yes they are similar, I just finished my pieces in oil, I want to try and get hold of another burr that is similar, the colours are really warm and look good, the natural edged bowl/vase on the left was a bit tricky I got it down to a wall thickness of about 2 mil but I didnt want to push my luck any further.

steve

I don't know wych wood it is Steve :lol: ,but you've done a good job on it.Three nice pieces there.Lovely colours.
Paul.J.

I've been told that wych elm has green streaks and some of the elm that I've turned in the past has had this.
According to Mark Baker's book Wood for Woodturners - wych elm is light to mid-umber with a greenish tinge or green streaking although this varies a lot and is sometimes absent. Apparently the grain is finer and straighter than English elm and I think that's what I've seen. It does sometimes form burrs.
The book has no mention of Exeter elm but according to Wikipedia it's a cultivar of Wych elm.

So, if you can see green in the wood it's probably Wych elm, if not then it might or might not be

Duncan

I cant find any green in the wood , and it certainly looks nothing like the piece put on by Andrew, so I am geussing that mine is not wych elm. maybee one day I will find another piece.

steve

Haven't got a clue what wood that is but you have made some really nice pieces from it. The first bowl in particular must have had your nerves on edge a bit 8-[

Pete

Thank you for your kind comments on my work, the first bowl was indeed fragile but it was very enjoyable to turn,
on a completely different note ,below hopefully is picture of a small bowl turned out of cherry, this was turned by a friend of mine and she turned it completely herself, with only a few hours prior instruction from myself, she is of course now completely hooked.
IMG_2123.jpg

steve

Wych Elm, so I'm told, is usually found growing near water and has a straighter grain than Common Elm, perhaps because it grows faster, being near water.
I have some elms to come down soon, before the dreaded disease returns. They aren't very big, 8" diameter at the most. They are growing close to a stream! Not sure what I am allowed to do with them under the regulations.
I might be able to get some fairly straight c8 foot lengths out of them if anyone is interested.
I thought they might be good for wagon shafts, but I've been told they will be too heavy. Certainly tough stuff! All the local flat-bottomed boats used to be made of it, and coffins of course.

I thought Wych Elm was another name for the Scots Elm - a bit less prone to the dutch disease - and has the characteristic green streaks as here

3492638816_7c776e67b5.jpg

Pete II

Latest posts

Back