would this work?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
airfilter.jpg

If I connect a hose extension to this dust extractor outlet and connect it up to a shop made filter box suspended in my workshop like this

filterbox.jpg

Would it work as an air filter cleaner when not connected to my P/T?

Yes, but you need the bags on the sip to be clean and not half full of dust. I think that if there is (fine) dust inside the bags it will find its way out, defeating the object of the exercise. :x

With the original delivery of the SIP dust extractor there was an additional top bag made of a paper type fabric which has never been used, so if this bag is replaced on the top instead of the linen type container, I could possibly not even need to put a filter on the final extractor box suspended from the ceiling of the workshop?

But if I have to keep the bottom bag clean as well I most probably would be spending half my time swapping bags

I think that if you put a filter in the box it may reduce the airflow too much because you are pulling air through one set of filters and expelling it through the filter bag. I have not come across any one doing this but why not get an old extraction fan and make a permanent set up.

I always thought the paper bag was for the bottom of the set up top expells the air, bottom catches solids.My extractor is out side the shop so no problems with fine dust.
I agree with DaveL post

OLD":1zkjqmma said:
I always thought the paper bag was for the bottom of the set up top expells the air, bottom catches solids.My extractor is out side the shop so no problems with fine dust.
I agree with DaveL post

Old
The SIP bottom bag collects all the waste for disposal and uses a linen bag, but I use plastic bin liners inside for convenience which are treated as chuckaways when full..

As previously mentioned there is a paper fibre type bag which can be installed at the top which should keep the expelled air cleaner.

DW, I don't think you'd move enough air with your dust collector to get effective air filtration with the box and filter. I'd start with a cardboard box and see what happens before building a wooden one.

Agreed, I believe to get efficient air filtration you would need a more powerful extractor at the end of that pipe or a motor closer to the filter.
You could compare it to sucking through a starw wich has an eigth diameter hole and one that has a three inch hole.

Dom

Wanlock Dod":7klaxh1q said:
Yep, I know that feeling.

(and our freezer is in the house!)

Going off thread but its the same in our house, I reckon its pollution in the atmosphere, we have a blowy day down here in Devon and we can finish up with a layer of dust.

So its not only global warming there are other problems.

Back