Worth The Money Or Not ??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodySteve

Established Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is worth the money ?
ive been offered this lathe from my local woodturners club and need some help to see if its any good and worth the money.

Used - Axminster 1014 lathe including chuck & jaws £150

Model:
Axminster -1014

Distance Between Centres:
350mm

Nett Weight:
30kg

Overall L x W x H:
800 x 200 x 355mm

Power:
Input 500W

Rating:
Trade

Speed:
(6) 400, 700, 1000, 1500, 2200, 3,300rpm

Spindle Taper:
2MT

Spindle Thread:
1" x 8tpi (Ref T04M)

Taper Tailstock:
2MT

Tool Rest Stem Diameter:
16mm

Max Diameter over Bed:
250mm

Plus - Axminster Clubman Woodturning Chuck – with ‘C’ jaws

2r7y.jpg

e1d8.jpg

nw9b.jpg

Depends on what you want to have a go at turning as you'll be limited due to size.... (hammer)

but for a 'trade' rated machine, a chuck, M2 taper plus bits and bobs.... all for £150..!! Dont even ask... i'd bite their hands of mate.... :mrgreen:

Go for it..... keep it for a year or two, hone your skills, then sell it on for the same money....

Nick

NikNak":3129nyce said:
Depends on what you want to have a go at turning as you'll be limited due to size.... (hammer)

but for a 'trade' rated machine, a chuck, M2 taper plus bits and bobs.... all for £150..!! Dont even ask... i'd bite their hands of mate.... :mrgreen:

Go for it..... keep it for a year or two, hone your skills, then sell it on for the same money....

Nick

Cheers nick, i will grab it tomorrow than and sell my 6ft lathe

Regards
steve

Ps will it be ok to turn bowls etc ?

only small ones.... cereal bowls :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously tho..... prob still get a 10" bowl from it

Nick

6ft lathe...?? from 1 extreme to the other.... :tongue9: :shock:

NikNak":1wcq14vy said:
only small ones.... cereal bowls :lol: :lol: :lol:

seriously tho..... prob still get a 10" bowl from it

Nick

(only small ones.... cereal bowls hahaha :lol: :lol: )

thats the kids breakfast bowls sorted than :lol:

it must be better than my coronet hobby lathe, its making a grinding vibration noise from the headstock
3xwp.jpg

Hope you get the Axy - sounds excellent value.
Interested to see your Coronet Hobby - there can't be many of those about, as they seemed to be something of a last ditch attempt by Coronet to produce a cheaper lathe to supplement their nice Majors and Minors. Had always assumed that they were quietly forgotten as Coronet went under.

Looks like the Jet JML-1014 mini wood lathe as sold by Axminster - every spec seems to be the same.

It sold for over £270, so you've bagged a bargain

dickm":1ight8tg said:
Hope you get the Axy - sounds excellent value.
Interested to see your Coronet Hobby - there can't be many of those about, as they seemed to be something of a last ditch attempt by Coronet to produce a cheaper lathe to supplement their nice Majors and Minors. Had always assumed that they were quietly forgotten as Coronet went under.

The Coronet Hobby lathe is a great lathe, today i replaced the bearings in the headstock and its running smooth and true as if it was a new lathe,
also went and brought that lathe i got it for £100 in the end with a few bowl blanks, so ive got 2 working lathes one for small work and the Coronet Hobby lathe for bigger stuff.

regards
steve

Robbo3":dmqi95fj said:
Looks like the Jet JML-1014 mini wood lathe as sold by Axminster - every spec seems to be the same.

It sold for over £270, so you've bagged a bargain

brilliant little lathe, i picked it up today and got it for £100 and the lady give me a few bowl blanks.
it was her husbands but he sadly passed away 6 months ago and she was happy to see it go to a good home,

thanks everyone for the info.

regards
steve

Back