Worm and a wicker basket

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Sharp-eyed LOML saw some frass beneath one of our wicker baskets. The flight/exit hole is much larger than a furniture beetles' and more the size of deathwatch ....but that likes mouldy, damp, dark places and the very, very dry wicker basket is hardly that (he says with fingers crossed).

So what might the pesky beetle be?

Hi Evergreen

Thanks for the link. I don't think that the description of powder post matches as my flight holes are very large...circa 5 or 6 mm. But I'll have a better look at the site this evening.

Rod...good suggestion but thankfully I don't think that they are the culprits as the link says that their holes are 10mm in diameter and my holes are 6mm tops. Also the size of the adult would have to be very, very thin to fit into the wickerwork.

Quite relieved, actually, seeing as how we live in an old 300year+ farmhouse with oak timber.

Roger

It could be powderpost beetle, but Bostrychid rather than the more common Lyctid, which can make large flight holes. Their frass is flour-like in consistency if this helps with ID?

Brian

Back